BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010 BMW R1200R
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if the RR side cases and their attachment system are compatible across wide range of years and RR models, say from the 1000’s to 1200’s. I know that top cases, like the 28 liter OEM one, are used on wide range of BMW bikes…

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just wondering if the RR side cases and their attachment system are compatible across wide range of years and RR models, say from the 1000’s to 1200’s. I know that top cases, like the 28 liter OEM one, are used on wide range of BMW bikes…
I know the side cases from the 2016 F800GT also fit the 2018 R1200R.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Some side cases that hang on pin and rails are probably conpatible across certain models. The rail “seat” on the case can be moved up / down and rotated. The only things that might nake fitment difficult are exhaust location and angle and the shape of the fairing under the seat which notmally digs into the inner case shape.

Some bikes have different OEM mounting systems. The oil-cooled R1200R cases are not compatible with the LC because they hang from a couple of pin slots and that bike has no rails for side cases.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,696 Posts
F800ST/S cases can be made to fit an LC although the exhaust recess is on the wrong side and the bodywork recess is excessive for the Roadster. There's a post showing mine if you search for it.

GT and R cases are harder due to the high set exhaust and hence the LH mounting block being offset.

·
Registered
2010 BMW R1200R
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the comments. In place/province where I live, it will be hard to find fitting bags, so I have to explore all the options, including the semi rigid aftermarket ones. I definitely want to get rid of the OEM rear carrier overhanging the bike.

·
Registered
2010 BMW R1200R
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As mentioned, I did not like the high rear rack, especially with the OEM 28 ltr top case. Hanging too high and “behind” the bike it just doesn’t fit the bike. Couldn’t find any small top loading hard cases that would integrate into the bike, so bought these semi rigid cases, they are expandable to 23 ltr each. Had to fabricate suitable brackets thou…

·
Registered
2010 BMW R1200R
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would anyone know if the 2005-12 RT OEM panniers fit the 2007-14 RRs with the OEM attachement hardware? I have a chance to buy used ones.
Thanks.

·
Dave in NE TN
1,339 Posts
I'm pretty confident the same BMW OEM bags fit 2005-2014 hexhead & camhead R & RT OEM mounts - somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.

Try to get a working key if buying used bags. The bags can also be re-keyed to your ignition key.

Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
2010 BMW R1200R
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm pretty confident the same BMW OEM bags fit 2005-2014 hexhead & camhead R & RT OEM mounts - somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.

Try to get a working key if buying used bags. The bags can also be re-keyed to your ignition key.

Cheers, Dave
Yes, you are right, even verified on BMW fiches. Did not buy these bags however, too beat up, would require more than a paint job…

Reactions: dbyker
1 - 9 of 9 Posts