BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone think their sidestand is too long, leaving the bike perilously upright? I lowered a dirt bike years ago by mounting 17-inch rims (before you could buy a supermoto), and that made the sidestand way too tall and the bike way too tippy. This bike kinda reminds me of that (before I cut down the stand). Anyone else feel a little nervous in all but the perfect parking spot? I do have a center stand, but would still like to trust the sidestand a bit more. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
I make sure that my handlebars are turned to the left when I dismount... haven't had a problem. And if the parking spot is sloped, I park so that the sidestand is on the downhill side so more weight is on the sidestand.

I also bought a sidestand foot enlarger (for lack of a better term).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DJ. I also try to position it on the downhill side and with the bars turned left...but it is still a lot more upright than I would like...and that is not always a convenient option (i.e., twice today for example). I may see if my dealer could cut it down 1/2 an inch "under warranty" as it feels just a little bit like an accident waiting to happen. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
SideStand

I have never had a issue with the position of the bike on the side stand.
DJ's foot enlarger will stand the bike even more upright.
Good luck having a BMW dealer cut & weld a sidestand "Under Warranty."
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...5-K53-BMW-R_1200_R_0A04,_0A14_&diagId=46_1670
Some bikes are factory lowered. The center stand is shorter.
Would not the side stand also be shorter?
This would be worth your time doing a parts number check. Ain't cheap.
Cheapest solution is carry two 3X3" plywood squares to position under the tires.

Or make an adjustable side stand.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I agree, side stand feels too long. Can't imagine BMW shortening it though.. I guess just have to be mindful of it or put it on the centre stand where possible.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For now, I'll probably do nothing but ride it because I am way too lazy to carry plywood blocks. However, using thinner pieces of wood would be a good way to figure out how much to take off the stand if I really decide I have a problem. If so, I will try to find the energy to show my dealer a photo of it parked parallel by my other bike (and that which will show that it is very much standing upright at least comparatively. Although, come to think of it, I did put a 55 instead of a 50 tire on that bike to get more rear ride height. Anyway, thanks Clem...now I gotta figure out if I am just seeing things or really have an issue.

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
My Guzzi gets propped up with a 1" hunk of wood, under the side stand, so its not leaning over into the BMW 1200st territory
It does save the mirrors from being bumped out of position, which I get a little irritated over.

But…like you goatfarmer1970 I get nervous about it being too upright.

We get earthquakes here, would not take to much rock n roll to tip it over.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Maybe those with ESA could adjust the preload front and rear to max before parking to give a bit more lean.
I find the angle of my non ESA bike pretty much spot on with the rear shock set at standard pre-load. No such adjustment on the front.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've ridden other bikes where it feels like it will topple if the wind blows. I feels absolutely comfortable with the side stand, and my 9 year old hops on and off without issues.

If I do find myself in a position (slope, ground material, etc) where I question the stability I roll her onto the center stand.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Like jrudin, mine is very stable. I wouldn't want it leaning too much further. I also agree with Clem, that it will take lots of luck, and an act of God for a dealer to cut/weld your stand.

Conversely, a good fabricator shop ought to be able to cut and re-weld your stand for little cost. In my neck of the woods, I would expect to pay about $50 for that job...while I waited. That cost would not include repainting though. If you're handy, you could likely save a few bucks by cutting your own foot plate off, cutting whatever length of tubing you wish removed off, and grinding all weld surfaces so that your welder can get right to work. Be sure to disconnect your negative battery lead before he starts welding. The actual welding work should be a 10 minute job. Good luck.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Different strokes for different folks I guess, but I find myself agreeing with Clem and jrudin in that I find the deployed side stand angle just right, and would not want the bike to lean over more. Just personal taste

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you ever get this sorted? My wife has had a her bike about a month now and on a long weekend away this weekend we had far too many instances where even on reasonably flat ground the bike was worryingly vertical. It looked like even a slight breeze would have blown it over, so we ended up using the centre stand. This isn't a long term solution though as she struggles to get it on the centre stand so it would be no good if there was nobody around to help her.

The bike is standard height by the way, with d-ESA.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I thought the bike was a bit too close to the vertical on the sidestand. Being not tall I am always concerned of he bike toppling when I am moving it about. It seems noticeably weightier than my previous 07 model.

Phil

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got the stand modified for her. They made the foot thinner rather than taking any length out of the main leg of the stand as doing so would have put the tang that you use to deploy the stand too close to the gear lever. Total cost, including powder coating, was £50 and I got it back in less than 24 hours.

It's made a big difference for her and she's now far more comfortable. We noticed with the original length stand that the bike did lean over, but only after dismounting and unloading the suspension. The problem was catch-22 - she couldn't get off because the bike was too upright and being short she was concerned about it falling. The new length stand has solved all this for her, so money well spent.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I think that the more upright angle of my 2015 R1200R sits is a big improvement over the how low the sidestand on my 2009 Dyna Super Glide leans. I have had times when I parked the Super Glide on a downward left slope and just about couldn't get it upright when I was ready to leave.

In my case I try to park the R1200R so that the sidestand is on the low side of the parking space and I always turn the bars to the left and lock them.

Pete

Anyone think their sidestand is too long, leaving the bike perilously upright? I lowered a dirt bike years ago by mounting 17-inch rims (before you could buy a supermoto), and that made the sidestand way too tall and the bike way too tippy. This bike kinda reminds me of that (before I cut down the stand). Anyone else feel a little nervous in all but the perfect parking spot? I do have a center stand, but would still like to trust the sidestand a bit more. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know that this is an older thread, but this is one of the first things I noticed. It seems like every other time I stop I feel the need to reposition the bike once I put the sidestand down. It's fine if it is level, but with any uphill slope at all it feels like the smallest bump or even a strong gust of wind at an overlook would take it over. I looked and found the center stand for lowered bikes, but I couldn't find an alternate side stand. I may end up trying to do what you did, daesimps, but more likely I'll just get used to it and start being more selective about the side slope automatically, although it doesn't seem like something you should have to do. Considering that this is the worst gripe that I can come up with, though, I can't complain too much.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Agree with RBob that it is a small gripe, which is a testament to how good the bike is...but I still find myself being very careful with where/how I park. Oh well....

1 - 20 of 56 Posts