BMW R1200R Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
5,970 Posts
if the bike is in 1st gear, how can that happen?
It’s probably a bit of a ‘belt and braces’ thing, but if the incline is steep enough the slack in the drive train could allow the bike to move forward, decreasing the lean angle even further. Of course if you happened to accidentally also leave it in neutral ...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I never had a problem parking downhill in first. I do always let the bike roll down a bit until the tranmission stops it and only then I deploy the kickstand. Never downhill in neutral. In fact, I even got into the habit of almost always stopping the engine with the kickstand in first.

That said, I never leave the bike unattended when parked downhill and if it’s easy/convenient to park uphill, then I’ll prefer that and benefit from not giving a chance for the kickstand to fold with the direction of gravity and also benefit from easily putting the rear wheel against an obstacle for added safety, if available.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Anyone think their sidestand is too long, leaving the bike perilously upright? I lowered a dirt bike years ago by mounting 17-inch rims (before you could buy a supermoto), and that made the sidestand way too tall and the bike way too tippy. This bike kinda reminds me of that (before I cut down the stand). Anyone else feel a little nervous in all but the perfect parking spot? I do have a center stand, but would still like to trust the sidestand a bit more. Thanks.
Just unload the suspension before turning powering off the bike.

·
Registered
152 Posts
When I first got my 2015 R1200R I felt that the stand was too high also. Yes Yes I know that you have to be careful where you park and monitor the lean angle etc, but its always an extra check to go through when parking. Last year on a trip my riding companion was parked a little too upright when stopped at a scenic look out and a gust of wind took his new RS down. Ouch. $$$. I found a welder who would take a bit off (ideally from the base) but I never had the time to follow through.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I happened upon this thread and have always thought the bike stood precariously upright (since I bought it, little over a year ago). I just ordered the shorter stand from my local dealer and am now waiting on shipping from Germany.
I will try post some pics once it comes in. Thanks for the info here!

·
Registered
28 Posts
This post is 5 1/2 years old and there still has not been one entry of a R12R tipping over. Just ride!
I live in an area with a lot of hills and do not like having to be quite so particular about where I can and cannot park, due to the exact slope and direction of the ground. Nor do I want to have to start fiddling around with suspension settings to get a reasonable lean angle. And there have been at least a few occasions where I have parked and felt like the bike was uncomfortably close to tipping... close enough that I've had to stand it up and re-park it. And hey, the bike is 5 1/2 years old too, so the age of this thread really doesn't matter to me. Thanks for the helpful feedback though. ;)

·
Registered
R1250R
432 Posts
This post is 5 1/2 years old and there still has not been one entry of a R12R tipping over. Just ride!
Parked it on a slight downhill slope once, just started to walk away when out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw my bike rolling forwards – jumped back and just managed to catch it. Had a very sore knee for my trouble.

I try to be careful where I park, but I still get caught out and have to re-park now and again.

The side-stand is too long.

I did try to order the short side stand from the UK Motorrad site, but that didn’t go too well, not to mention they want payment by paypal and I don’t do paypal.

Tried the Euro Motorrad site but they do longer ship to the UK (*** BREXIT!! – aaaaaagh!)

So, I guess I’ll just get the dealer to get one in for me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Parked it on a slight downhill slope once, just started to walk away when out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw my bike rolling forwards – jumped back and just managed to catch it. Had a very sore knee for my trouble.

I try to be careful where I park, but I still get caught out and have to re-park now and again.

The side-stand is too long.

I did try to order the short side stand from the UK Motorrad site, but that didn’t go too well, not to mention they want payment by paypal and I don’t do paypal.

Tried the Euro Motorrad site but they do longer ship to the UK (*** BREXIT!! – aaaaaagh!)

So, I guess I’ll just get the dealer to get one in for me.
Yes, your dealer should be able to get you one. They will never have heard of it though - we enthusiasts know more than the dealers about our bikes...

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
319 Posts
In my area some roads have enough crown that a "flat" road wouldn't let me park my R unless I swung in and backed it up to the curb so it was pointed "up" the crown, straight into traffic basically.

Which has been a habit of mine even on other bikes.

·
Registered
397 Posts
In Cali, the regs actually specify that one tire is supposed to be touching the curb for motos...

·
2,866 Posts
I shorted my side stand by 15mm, and the bike lean now seem to be about right to my eye. I had the welds X-ray inspected and passed.

If fitting a new shorter stand or alterning the exiting stand - checkout the Panzer’s response on this tread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

41 - 56 of 56 Posts