BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me why my signature has been Starred out?
I just noticed it so tried to change it but my name is still starred out, is Mick a swear word somewhere in the world? (sensible replies please)

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,287 Posts
You’ll have to s.p.e.l.l. out the starred word for us ...

Reactions: dbyker

·
Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The word I want is Mick. I see it's starred out in my post as well. So just in case it gets the same treatment here it's M I C K.

·
Dave in NE TN
1,123 Posts
Well that is downright fascinating! It won't allow your "M-word" in any version of upper or lower case letters. It will allow "MlCK" using a lower case "L" instead of "I". We'll push it up for further review if you want.

Cheers, Dave

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dave, I didn't know my name was so offensive. I have tried it with spaces but I would prefer it to be all one.

·
6,287 Posts
The origin of the sensitivity, I presume: "M_i_c_k is a masculine given name, usually a short form (hypocorism) of Michael. Because of its popularity in Ireland, it is often used as a derogatory term for an Irish person or a person of Irish descent."

·
Registered
704 Posts
Remember when Are You Being Served made constant sex jokes via innuendo between British and American definitions of the word(s)? That'd never happen today. :(

·
Dave in NE TN
1,123 Posts
G'Day M i c k !

Sent a note to the VS Admins asking if they can de-escalate the censorship of your name! Will let you know if anything comes of it. In the meantime, you might want to consider temporarily changing your name to something less controversial like "Abby Normal" or something. ;)

Cheers! Dave

·
Dave in NE TN
1,123 Posts
Happy Daze Mick! Yes, "Mick"! The esteemed VS Administrators have fixed things straight away and you are now welcome BY NAME on the Forum.

Cheers! Dave :)

·
6,287 Posts
A Mick by any other name would smell as sweet ...

·
Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The origin of the sensitivity, I presume: "M_i_c_k is a masculine given name, usually a short form (hypocorism) of Michael. Because of its popularity in Ireland, it is often used as a derogatory term for an Irish person or a person of Irish descent."
Well as it happens I was born in Belfast, N Ireland.

Happy Daze Mick! Yes, "Mick"! The esteemed VS Administrators have fixed things straight away and you are now welcome BY NAME on the Forum.

Cheers! Dave :)
Thanks Dave (y)
I can see it has worked.

·
Dave in NE TN
1,123 Posts
Good deal Mick.

I would still look into "Abby Normal", but hey that's just me, strictly your call, obviously.

Cheers, Dave ;)

Reactions: r0ckrat
1 - 12 of 12 Posts