BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone offer any comment, comparing the Akro & Remus slip-ons?

If you have one but haven't heard the other, no comment needed thanks as I'm trying to find out which is louder and/or better sounding (very subjective, I know).

Thanks,

JtL

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
407 Posts
I have an akropovic slip on, I have seen/heard the remus first hand now. I would say they are comparable on total volume. Slightly louder than stock, and a little better looking than the enormous chrome tumor from BMW.

A service tech at Max has a R1200RS with header, cat delete and I think Vince slip on, it was five assless chaps Harley loud. I spoke with him (mostly about a smaller muffler) he said they simply will not get loud with the cat still installed.

I do get popping on the overrun when down shifting, which is one of my favorite features. But some people hate it.

·
Dave in NE TN
1,049 Posts
Debated whether to comment or not but maybe this will help a little.

Not a perfect comparison, but had a Remus slip-on with baffle removed on my '09 R12R, and an Akra slip-on with both baffles (Euro 3) retained on my '18 R12GS. The Akra sounds slightly louder, and better, to me. Of course, the difference could have a lot to do with different generation R12s. The Remus had a nice smooth sound, the Akra has a bit more attitudinous bark. Haven't been inclined to remove one or both Akra baffles as it sounds fine as-is to me. Could hear both exhausts while riding, audible but not obnoxious, making it easier to manage revs by sound and shift smoothly.

IMO Akra is the 'natural' exhaust for a Beemer, as evidenced by their factory use on some R Nine Ts. Having said that, both are fine exhausts and improve stock sound and either should make you smile. HTH a little.

Cheers, Dave

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,105 Posts
A service tech at Max has a R1200RS with header, cat delete and I think Vince slip on, it was five assless chaps Harley loud. I spoke with him (mostly about a smaller muffler) he said they simply will not get loud with the cat still installed.

I do get popping on the overrun when down shifting, which is one of my favorite features. But some people hate it.
That is certainly the case with the R1150R, and perhaps the earlier 1200's, but the LC is horrendously loud if the silencer is removed, so a small muffler without db killer is also likely to be very loud. Even my SC Project is too loud for sensible street use with the db killer removed. Given his configuration, I suspect the Max service tech has hearing impairment.

The popping on overrun happens when the fuel starts to come back in as the rpm drop below 2500 rpm (zero fuel on overrun above that). It is accentuated if you disable the flapper valve and allow it to remain in its default fully open position. Doing so also adds a little audio 'presence' at idle.

Didn't someone post a YouTube video recently that compared different slip-ons? It wasn't very objective in its testing setup (random) but could give you an idea of the sound characteristics.

·
6,105 Posts
The Remus had a nice smooth sound, the Akra has a bit more attitudinous bark.
That's my recollection of comparisons I've previously heard with them fitted to LC's too - only on YouTube though.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to both of you for your comments, both very helpful and exactly the sort of info I was seeking.

Interesting Dave that you had baffle out for one and in for the other?

Apparently either will do for my purpose, boiling down to looks. All I want is a slightly better sound without being loud, and something that improves the look of the huge stock can - not a very high bar!

Leaning toward the Remus at the moment - slight preference for it's looks (at least online pictures), and a bit less money. The latter is no bad thing for a strictly vanity purchase!

And definitely baffle-in mode...

·
Dave in NE TN
1,049 Posts
I wouldn't fault you at all for choosing the Remus over the Akra. IMO also the Remus tends to be better looking and lower priced, depending on which model and what kind of deal you get. As for sound, the Remus with db killer wasn't much louder than stock, and without db killer wasn't much louder than that, not obnoxious in either case, with an overall nice sound, pleasantly audible while riding.

Yes, I ran my Remus with db killer removed, and my Akra with both still in, kinda shows the Akra may be the louder pipe all things being equal. Be aware Euro 3 exhausts typically have removeable db killers, while Euro 4 exhausts typically have welded in db killers which are not (easily) removeable.

Cheers, Dave

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Akrapovic no doubts about it.
Installed on my 2018 and she sings like a canary but, roars like a lion. Akrapovic should be standard equipment.

·
Registered
2016 BMW R1200R
85 Posts
Absolutely agree. Akrapovic for sure. Had one on my C14, I'm going to get one on my R12R just as soon as I can! The Akrapovic had to be 1/4 the weight of the OEM. Sounds good, but not so loud to bring attention to yourself from a half mile away. The last thing I want is attention when I roll on the throttle. Along with noticeable difference in performance. I was very satisfied with it.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Is there any issue with retuning for Akrapovic, SC-1R or Remus slip-on’s?

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
That is certainly the case with the R1150R, and perhaps the earlier 1200's, but the LC is horrendously loud if the silencer is removed, so a small muffler without db killer is also likely to be very loud. Even my SC Project is too loud for sensible street use with the db killer removed. Given his configuration, I suspect the Max service tech has hearing impairment.

The popping on overrun happens when the fuel starts to come back in as the rpm drop below 2500 rpm (zero fuel on overrun above that). It is accentuated if you disable the flapper valve and allow it to remain in its default fully open position. Doing so also adds a little audio 'presence' at idle.

Didn't someone post a YouTube video recently that compared different slip-ons? It wasn't very objective in its testing setup (random) but could give you an idea of the sound characteristics.
How loud is your SC with baffle compared to stock? I’m looking to get a black muffler but of similar volume to stock.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Has anyone had experience with the Arrow Maxi Race-Tech black aluminium slip on? It seems to meet my requirements for smaller, lighter and blacker. Sounds fine in the comparison videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
6,105 Posts
How loud is your SC with baffle compared to stock?
Mine is the smaller (E3) black can and it's quite a bit louder than stock – especially as I have the flap valve disconnected (louder below 2500 rpm and gives a crackle when the fuel starts to kick back in under those revs when backing off). The E4 cans (of later model 1200's and for the 1250's) would likely be quieter as they are larger.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Mine is the smaller (E4) black can and it's quite a bit louder than stock – especially as I have the flap valve disconnected (louder below 2500 rpm and gives a crackle when the fuel starts to kick back in under those revs when backing off). The E5 cans (ofr later model 1200's and for the 1250's) would likely be quieter as they are larger.
Thanks. I’m not seeing an E5 muffler on their site. Is it SC1-R?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Has anyone had experience with the Arrow Maxi Race-Tech black aluminium slip on? It seems to meet my requirements for smaller, lighter and blacker. Sounds fine in the comparison videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I am also considering the Arrow Maxi Race-Tech slip-on, looks good and is priced at $470 incl free shipping here in US on E Bay. Anyone have experience with Arrow? Thanks!

·
Registered
R1250R
545 Posts
How loud is your SC with baffle compared to stock? I’m looking to get a black muffler but of similar volume to stock.
I think Panzermann has the R1200R not the R1250R. The R1200R silencer may or may not fit the R1250R.

I have the R1250R with the SC Project SC1-R. It has a bit of a bark on the throttle and I think it is a little louder overall than the stock can. My bike was delivered new with the SC Project, so the only time I’ve heard the stock can was on the test ride before I ordered my bike.

Note that the Euro 4 compliant SC Project cans do not have removeable baffles – the baffle is fixed.

The can looks really sweet.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
It looks good. After my last Triumph Rocket, I’ve had it with barky bikes. I’ve inquired to SC about the Euro 5 version.

·
6,105 Posts
not seeing an E5 muffler
Apologies Dougl - I was getting ahead of myself. The can on my 1200 is E3, and yes, the db killer is removeable (with thunderous results!)

·
Premium Member
290 Posts

Aside from the noise, I am concerned that the SC or Akropovic slip-on could make the throttle less smooth than stock, which I consider to be very smooth, even in dynamic mode. I wouldn’t want to sacrifice that. I’ve read that torque delivery shifts to higher rpm. Anything to that?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts