BMW R1200R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
R1250R
545 Posts
Aside from the noise, I am concerned that the SC or Akropovic slip-on could make the throttle less smooth than stock, which I consider to be very smooth, even in dynamic mode. I wouldn’t want to sacrifice that. I’ve read that torque delivery shifts to higher rpm. Anything to that?
They are road legal cans. Plus, BMW offers the Akra as OE. Unless you remove the baffle (which you can’t anyway) I can’t see how a legal can could effect the throttle response.

Coming from a bike with perfectly jetted and set up carbs, I was surprised how good the throttle response was on the BMW. It is perfect. The only thing I had to get used to was that slight on/off effect at junctions etc.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,105 Posts
I’ve read that torque delivery shifts to higher rp
My experience with the short SC can is quite the opposite, Dougl. Low down torque seems to be amplified, to the extent that I’m riding at lower rpm and getting better fuel consumption - and requiring more throttle control to keep my licence ...

·
6,105 Posts
Here is SC projects dyno graph.
Interestingly that graph only starts at rpm above my usual operating range. Tellingly, though, the difference in torque with/without the can is greatest at the lowest rpm on the graph (4000 rpm). This correlates with my experience with the 1200-LC

Reactions: dbyker

·
Registered
2011 R1200R
28 Posts
Yes, I am also considering the Arrow Maxi Race-Tech slip-on, looks good and is priced at $470 incl free shipping here in US on E Bay. Anyone have experience with Arrow? Thanks!
I have an arrow can on an 11. Imo, looks good and sounds good and seems to be well built. Not a great pic

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Interestingly that graph only starts at rpm above my usual operating range. Tellingly, though, the difference in torque with/without the can is greatest at the lowest rpm on the graph (4000 rpm). This correlates with my experience with the 1200-LC

View attachment 110705
The dyno is at WOT. My concern is smoothness at low throttle which is where I’m at most of the time.

·
Registered
R1250R
545 Posts
Interestingly that graph only starts at rpm above my usual operating range.
🤨

The dyno is at WOT. My concern is smoothness at low throttle which is where I’m at most of the time.
Ah, mines either, well, open or closed. Seriously Dougl, it will be fine. I can’t fault the fuelling on the R1250R.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
🤨

Ah, mines either, well, open or closed. Seriously Dougl, it will be fine. I can’t fault the fuelling on the R1250R.
It’s perfect stock. I just don’t want to f it up.

·
Registered
R1250R
545 Posts
Fitting a road legal end can won’t make any difference. BMW will supply you a new bike with one fitted as an official option.

If you were to remove the CAT and fit a straight through can as some folks like to do, then fuelling could be messed up a bit and a remap would be required. But swapping out the OE dust bin for a road legal can is just fine.

The only thing you’ll notice, is a bit of a growl when you open the throttle and a bigger smile when you get off the bike and look at it.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
I just want to remove that heavy, ugly, large obnoxious can that comes stock on my 2007 bike.

I want some thing smaller and less visually unbalanced. And cheap. :p

Any suggestions????

·
Registered
436 Posts
I just want to remove that heavy, ugly, large obnoxious can that comes stock on my 2007 bike.

I want some thing smaller and less visually unbalanced. And cheap.

Any suggestions????
Delkevik

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
6,105 Posts
Other than the additional noise volume and low-down torque, and hence better fuel consumption, there’s been no other effect on the engine operation. Fuelling remains perfect, even with the exhaust flap disconnected.

·
Registered
R1250R
545 Posts
Just get it done Dougl, just think how much better you’ll feel once you don’t have to scowl at that dust bin every time you get your bike out. (y)

·
Dave in NE TN
1,049 Posts
It's true, git 'er done, like ripping off a band-aid, you'll wonder why you waited so long.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
273 Posts
It’s perfect stock. I just don’t want to f it up.
Same. That, and the popping at deceleration that was mentioned earlier in the thread drives me crazy, can’t stand it. I would like to get something a little less large and shiny, a bit more sporty, likely the Akro, but not at the price of possible low-down torque loss and the annoyance of decel pop.

·
Registered
R1250R
545 Posts
but not at the price of possible low-down torque loss and the annoyance of decel pop.
Check the dyno graph, you'll get more torque. So it is more perfect. A win win situation.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Just get it done Dougl, just think how much better you’ll feel once you don’t have to scowl at that dust bin every time you get your bike out. (y)
I’d like a black muffler but I don’t like the sound of any of these slip-ons. At least what you hear on the internet. I’d like to hear one in person, maybe at the dealer.

·
6,105 Posts
annoyance of decel pop.
Mine crackles a bit but generally under 2500 rpm when the exhaust valve should be closing. Doesn’t bother me.

·
Registered
R1250R
545 Posts
Mine crackles a bit but generally under 2500 rpm when the exhaust valve should be closing. Doesn’t bother me.
Yeah, I find rolling up to junctions with the throttle closed in gear as you get towards idle you get a burble which is presumably the popping that others are talking about. My exhaust valve is still connected and functioning.

I just could not stand the look of the OE silencer. The bike was delivered new with the SC Project fitted.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts