BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even before buying it seemed strange to me that all bikes for sale and at dealers have the Factory installed GPS bracket And nobody ever have the GPS. all the reviews, on YouTube, etc. none if them.
Among tens of bikes For sale and reviews I maybe saw actual GPS unit only once.

It kind of bothers me and would look much cleaner without that useless plastic pad.
To remove, it looks like just 4 screws on top?or do you have to disconnect the lead from inside of the bike too?

anyone removed it, how did it go?

·
Registered
56 Posts
It bothered me too when I was looking for a bike. The most annoying part is the wheel between the grip and the buttons that makes the buttons hard to reach.

I was very lucky to find one with ESA but without the GPS hardware!

·
Super Moderator
5,407 Posts
Reviews are often US or European models. Australian showroom models are generally highly specced; if you want less, you need to make a special order, which can mean a three month wait for delivery (longer in COVID times). That way dealers make more money on the sale.

I assume you are referring to a Liquid Cooled model (2015+) although there isn't much difference except maybe the location of the electrical connector. It's simply a matter of removing the four screws and disconnecting the electrical connector ,located near the forward edge RH side tank cover, adjacent to the air intake snorkel.

·
Registered
601 Posts
If you're buying from a dealer, it shouldn't be hard for them to remove it and put it in a bag when you pick it up. At most, they would just have to replace the bolts with the correct ones sans GPS mount.

Reactions: MGL

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I didn't remove my mount completely, but I did move it to the side. I didn't bother to change the handlebar clamping bolts; I barely notice that they're "different".

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I removed mine from my 1250R. You need to take the right tank panels off. Panzermann posted instructions and pictures for that.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I don’t use mine for GPS, but keep it there in case I ever want to take up touring / longer trips. At this point I don’t even notice it anymore, though was skeptical that that’d be the case when I first got it. I agree, though, that BMW placing it there by default is not what I’d prefer.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't use mine for a BMW GPS, but bought an aftermarket phone mount that clips in and has USB ports for phone charging. Apparently there is also one available now with Qi/Wireless charging.

Reactions: mandango

·
Registered
4 Posts
Even before buying it seemed strange to me that all bikes for sale and at dealers have the Factory installed GPS bracket And nobody ever have the GPS. all the reviews, on YouTube, etc. none if them.

It kind of bothers me and would look much cleaner without that useless plastic pad.
To remove, it looks like just 4 screws on top?or do you have to disconnect the lead from inside of the bike too?

My bike had the same (2015 R1200R) and it bothered me, so I bought a 3rd party device called WunderLINQ. It connects to the bike’s data telemetry and the BMW Wonder wheel to be used with your mobile phone. It also allows charging via USB. Still, you’d have to purchase a separate mounting solution, (though I think they should partner with Quadlock). Any mobile phone on Android our iOS should work and it’s SO much cheaper than the BMW branded Navigator.
Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts

yess i did its easy just find the right size screw instead of the bracket screws put it in and job done I believe it's 8 mm screws

·
Registered
10 Posts

My bike had also gps bracket mounted, first thing what i did was to remove it, i also exchanged wonderwheel grip to normal one, guidance how do to everything is somewhere in this forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts

hey Kramer, the bike looks awesome without the GPS Mount. I paid the beemer mech $30 to have the wiring re-purposed for the QUAD Mount GPS USB adaptor. Now my iPhone is always charged whilst using it to navigate, definitely lots better than the Garmin navigator. I had the Garmin navigator V on the previous R1200R but gave up dealing with the Garmin Team, they just wasted my time and didn't want to know you when your GPS is out of warranty. Considering it was their upgrade that stuffed up the equipment. You can also do it yourself, I heard it is simple....I hope this helps, have a look at the photo attached, very happy with current setup.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I paid the beemer mech $30 to have the wiring re-purposed for the QUAD Mount GPS USB adaptor. Now my iPhone is always charged whilst using it to navigate, definitely lots better than the Garmin navigator.
I googled QUAD mount, looks like it's a phone mounting case with bracket. I could not fins anything about "QUAD Mount GPS USB adaptor" Can you tell in more detail ? How Quad mount has anything to do with electrical charging, or was that a separate project.

Unfortunately your photo is thumbnail size and can't see what you have there. Can you post more larger photo ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I googled QUAD mount, looks like it's a phone mounting case with bracket. I could not fins anything about "QUAD Mount GPS USB adaptor" Can you tell in more detail ? How Quad mount has anything to do with electrical charging, or was that a separate project.

Unfortunately your photo is thumbnail size and can't see what you have there. Can you post more larger photo ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Attached is the image of the USB charger from Quad Lock. Note that they now have the wireless version which may be suitable depending on your phone. I'm very happy with this setup at the moment, even though you still need to use a short cable to plug as shown in the larger photo attached.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Removed mine and replaced the BMW GPS mount with a TomTom550 which has been an affordable to great GPS! After removing there cradle the bolts do stick up a bit but work fine without the cradle. I would buy the correct shorter bolts if I could figure out which ones I need and where to get them.

·
Super Moderator
5,407 Posts
I would buy the correct shorter bolts if I could figure out which ones I need and where to get them.
Your friendly dealer parts dept can easily help you out (may have to order in, although they may also have screws taken off new bikes when they fit the mount - not sure if it’s factory or dealer fitted when new).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts