BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing @Hndymn 's nice paint job (Burnt Yellow I think) got me to thinking about changing--at least for a bit--the color of my Cordoba Blue R12. I vinyl wrapped another of my bikes recently using Vvivid XPO Gloss Black. The Vvivid product has a very nice, paint-like finish but is tough for a rank amateur like me to make conform to complicated surfaces like gas tanks. So, I thought I'd check out some Avery vinyl, which is supposed to be easier to work with, by giving the R1200R a different look for a while (vinyl is removable)--two birds with one vinyl wrapped stone. Avery didn't have anything quite like @Hndymn 's Burnt Yellow, so I went with a more pedestrian Indigo Blue. I'm still a little "meh" about the color but did get to see that the Avery vinyl is pretty easy to work with. The resulting finish is not up to a good paint job but I was able to get the tank panels done with only mild cursing and sweating. Cost? About $70.

So, if you want to change your bike's color without the commitment or cost of paint, vinyl is worth a look.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,394 Posts
Nice one, Tom.👌

Do they have wrap in Thunder Grey for those owners who chose the wrong colour? 🤔

·
Registered
197 Posts
Very nice colour! Looks super nice.

I've been thinking about getting my bike wrapped. Wouldn't do it myself as I have very little patience.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do they have wrap in Thunder Grey for those owners who chose the wrong colour? 🤔
:D
It's even more wrong than you might think. Notice that my bike frame is not the black one that comes with Cordoba Blue, but the grey that comes with Thunder Grey. Yes, I did the unthinkable: I had them swap colors with another bike!:eek:

·
Registered
128 Posts
😄 Without even looking at the country flags, one can easily guess by observing the use of colour Vs color.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It does indeed take patience, @asparaguspee! When I wanted to wrap the other bike, I would have happily paid someone to do the tank, but I couldn't find any takers in my area. As it was, I did that tank at least four times to get it to "OK" , and I'm thinking of doing it again with Avery, hoping to get it done with mostly one piece. Then again, the R1200R panels aren't all that bad. I'd like to say it builds character, but :rolleyes:...

Reactions: asparaguspee

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,394 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Maybe I am just an amateur, but I’ve learned OEM or nothing. Got my Kawasaki painted. Looked good for a month. Anyplace there was friction, the paint wore off. Kept needed touch ups. The BMW had the fender replaced. BMW only provided primed parts. The paint job (done by professionals) was 3 times the cost of the part and did not look as good as “from the factory.” I question if anyone can do a good paint job on motorcycle parts or if it requires a special process most don’t know.

·
Dave in NE TN
1,183 Posts
The factory has a perfect environment and the most advanced technology to provide a paint job that almost no aftermarket vendor will be able to duplicate. One reason they say "it's only original once".

I love your vinyl wrap and color! That should help protect the original paint underneath too. Win Win!

I think a carbon fiber/fibre color/colour wrap on a dark bike would look Amazing.

Cheers and thanks for sharing,
Dave

Reactions: MikeHSG

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey, thanks to you all for the kind remarks! Truth be told, I really like motorcycles in black, but I just couldn't see having three black bikes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts