BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
After trolling the Web sites and Google for hours, I realised I should have just come to this Forum.
Does anyone know the part number for the 2012 R1200R ( DOHC) spark plug wrench, not the coil removal tool, and where it may be purchased AND ( english was my bestest subject at school ) if this tool will fit both side and bottom plugs.
I have found a number of ( 16mm) wrenches, but nothing specific for the R1200R ( 2012).
I may have found one in Germany ( they are checking), but the delivery was twice the cost of the wrench.
Everything I am buying at the moment comes from the USA or England, all we seem to have here is SUNSHINE.
Best regards
John

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
RealOEM.com * BMW K27 R 1200 R 11 (0400,0490) Car tool, supplementary kit
71 11 7 707 507

Spark plugs are NGK MAR8B-JDS Gap 0.7-0.9mm Service limit 1.0mm Torque to 12 Nm. Takes a 14mm deep socket (thin wall)
All 4 spark plugs are the same, although the secondary spark plug coils are left & right-handed, so keep them marked to ensure they are re-fitted correctly.
Haynes #4925 BMW R1200R DOHC Twins 2010-2012

6 point

or 12 point

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dear Clem,
Many thanks, there appears to be many BMW models that share this wrench ( which should not be unusual).
Thank you for that OEM site information.
Best regards
John

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Sure, John. Anytime. Those spark plugs are made by NGK which is in Nagoya, Japan.
Best price I found was from Nippy Norman's in UK. I bought them with several other items at Christmas. Website price list showed 9 pounds, but the checkout cart only rang up 7.5 each, so I increased my order quantity. Guess it was a Santa special.
Hey, send me a big box of that Sydney sunshine!

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Hey, send me a big box of that Sydney sunshine!

Since I was to late to even try to help you out on something I didn't even know, and thankfully Clem was around as usual, all I have to say is that I second that box of sunshine.
Waking up to a 15 F it's not fun. (I know I shouldn't cry I know, sorry Canada)

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
I was not aware of that, but just as well. You should get a good quality thin-wall 14mm or 9/16" deep socket. The BMW tool kit I purchased broke the first time I used it. Search my tool kit post.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
A cheaper way to go is to use the spark plug wrench from the 1150's toolkit
It is item 11 on the link
A&S BMW Motorcycles Microfiche

At $12.88, pretty cheap

John

PS
I think item 12 will pull the ignition coil off the plug, but it seems to not fit as well on the 12 as it did on the 1150. I got the Marc Parnes version of it

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello All,
Unfortunately the confusion continues. RealOEM.com ( 2012 R1200R) indicate Part No.71112303416 18/22 (is this mm.??). This number has been confirmed on other sites although I have seen reference to a long thin 14mm wrench. I have just received the recent Haynes manual for R1200R DOHC and again reference is made to 14mm wrench.

If anyone has a BMW wrench that fits the R1200R dohc, may I have the part number.

Best Regards
John

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
John, please look at the next item down, number 13 I think, it's a 14mm wrench.
71 11 7 707 507 is the BMW part number I believe.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
check this link
Car tool, service kit. Fits: BMW Motorcycles R R 1200 | BMW Motorcycles of Chattanooga
Look at item 2. 16mm

Ok, I just went and checked again. That wrench from the 1150's toolkit
is 16mm
It fits the upper plug on the R12
It fits the lower plug on the R12

I looked in my R1200R Haynes manual. It describes the spark plug socket as a
"16mm thin walled deep socket."
That is exactly what the socket from the 1150 is.

The problem with aftermarket sockets, at least with the 1150s and prob with the 1200 also is their thickness. They are just too fat to make it through the hole(s) to the plug, hence "thin walled" "deep socket."

Over on the 1150 forum you will find people that have machined down snap ons and craftsman's to get them to fit, but the tool in the toolkit worked fine. True, you cannot torque it, but the way to achieve proper torque was to turn it finger tight then 1/4 turn. The, according to Hayne's, torque is 20Nm (or is it nM?) for the 1200.

Hope this helps.

And it could be that the dohc is different, but up to 2009 it is as above
John

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
johnvw requested a spark plug wrench to fit a 2012 DOHC R1200R. twice.
Please give the R1150R a rest. :dizzy:I feel dizzy.
"And it could be that the dohc is different..."
That would be correct.:clap:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dear Clem,
My Realoem.com indicates that item 13 is nolonger available or withdrawn.
And YES the R1200R DOHC does not appear to share a lot of the tools used on previous models.
My local ( Australian) dealer confirmed part No. 71112303416 is a spark wrench, but no indication of model usage.

SMARTEN UP BMW this is the same misleading information that involved the various R1200R seat options.

The plot thickens........we still have lots of sunshine ( ouch).

Regards John

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
I thought the 2012 DOHC has only one spark plug per side?

The R1100R and early R1150Rs were single-spark, and had one spark plug per cylinder. The later R1150s and the R1200Rs are twin-spark, and have two plugs per cylinder. That's a nice drawing you posted, Jokerdef.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dear Jokerdef,
that IS a lovely image. Any idea where that came from ??, we may just find similar info for the DOHC.
Regards
John

1 - 20 of 30 Posts