BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
… a skid plate off a 1200GS fits the '07-'10 1200Rs?

Because of who-knows-why, Motorrad fit the oil filters on the R1200s to the bottom of the engine block, exposing them to all sorts of road detritus. (They're fitted to the sides of some newer models.) A rider on another forum pointed me to a barely used "underride protection" plate on ebay that only required some attaching hardware — bolts, bumpers, grommets and a rook-like spacer — and it all fit perfectly on my bike. The pieces from an '07 GSA fit on hexhead R12Rs and are cheaper than later-year GS models, which saw some mounting hardware changes.

I wondered how the plate would affect the lines of my bike, but after a couple of months, I don't even notice it. (Same was true with) the ABDECKring.) Both are worth the peace of mind. Used plate and bits were about $100 total.

Max BMW photos of the plate on an RT

It's probably safe to say the skid plate brings R1200R rider Don Eilenberger piece of mind. He's travelled ~70,000 miles on his 2007 and recounted on MOA what inspired him to buy the plate:

Just as I entered the turn, I heard a "thunk" and felt something in the bike. Didn't think anything of it for a few seconds - then the rear tire started moving sideways and back and forth. In the turn. That got my attention. I figured I'd had a blowout. No shoulder on the turn at all, so I had to ride through it.

Finally - a few seconds later (seemed like minutes, that time slowing down thing) I managed get through the second part of the curve and pull over on the shoulder, to notice oil running out from under the bike and on my boot. Couldn't put the sidestand down due to the crown in the road, shut off the engine immediately, and just sat there (more or less a sitting duck to anyone going through the curve too fast.)

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Something new to start worrying about! When will it all end....?

Lawrence of Suburbia

Outer Brisbane, SE Queensland, Australia

2012 R1200R: Montego Blue with ABS, ESA, RDC, OBC, Puig rear hugger, Eagle semi-touring screen, Stebel Magnum horn, Grip Puppies, ss oil-cooler guard, Abdeckring installed, Wunderlich ‘Trophy’ fairing coming soon… that’s it!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I felt the angst of the potential of the dreaded steel rod destroying my filter before my recent ride. A friend with an RT recently put the whole kit and kaboodle on his.

Short on time, short of money and not really knowing if this was something to really worry about or whether asteroids presented more of a danger ( and I've read Don's experience so that is in the equation) I decided to fab my own oil filter protector.
I figured what was really needed for prob nearly all but the flukiest assaults on the filter, and then even the OEM protector would be no use, was something somewhat substantial that would serve to deflect the missile from the filter.

At the hardware store I found a small rectangular plate of galvanized metal, the stuff that is used in electrical boxes. I cut it and bent it to fit. there is an M6 ?? hole right in front of the filter and I bolted the sheet to it. I bent the sheet so that it would deflect crap laterally, ie, away from the rear wheel.
After 6500 miles, on and off road, through construction sites etc it held on fine and remains untested---there were no telltale marks on it to show it served any protective function, but it did provide piece of mind. After I changed the oil and filter when I got home I put it back. Total cost under $4

It's not flimsy by any stretch. It does not vibrate when the engine is running. I used blue locktite, but that may have been overkill?? It went nowhere.

John

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Because of who-knows-why, Motorrad fit the oil filters on the R1200s to the bottom of the engine block, exposing them to all sorts of road detritus.
Dude, you are coming awfully close to speaking Teutonically INcorrect. You are tainting the kool ade with that kind of speech. Believe me I know. Interestingly enough free speech and independent thought and gentlemanly discourse, even with disagreement, exist on this forum, on SportTouring, and surprisingly on ADVrider, but NO where else.
Oh, it doesn't matter if you have a good point. And yes, Motorrad did let that filter hang out in the asteroid belt. It was completely protected on the 1150 except for the very bottom.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Short on time, short of money and not really knowing if this was something to really worry about or whether asteroids presented more of a danger ( and I've read Don's experience so that is in the equation) I decided to fab my own oil filter protector.

Nothing I like more than this kind of improvisation! The key to it seems to me to be the adjacent M6 (?) threaded blind hole for the fastening bolt. I shall be making up my own equivalent very soon, except that I'll probably give it a quick spray with gloss black paint so that it blends-in with the black filter body and the blacked-out case on my '012 bike. Gotta do a mid-service oil and filter change in another 800 or so ks I(my normal practice) so it will all happen then. I must say, coming off a GS as I recently have, that I didn't realise that on the R the filter was so exposed! Neat!

Thanks, Dr S.

L of S

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
I found a cuppla short studs that fitted the threaded hole perfectly, one stamped ‘8.8’, one a bit more clearly ‘M 8.8’, if that helps. Overall length of each was 25mm – exactly one inch. They are now put aside for the job...

L of S

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
$4 – you wuz robbed! My piece of galv plate cost 95 cents in the timber fastenings section of the local hardware store. Is it too late for you to take yours back for a refund?

I quickly made the piece, the hardest part being the removal of the plastic manufacturer’s label! Like you, I used one of the offset holes instead of a centre-line hole, so as to be able to swivel the plate slightly across the full width of the oil-filter unit. Drilled it out to take the M8.8 stud, choosing to use the one with the Allen head is it’s a bit fiddly down there with a spanner if a hex head stud is used. Rounded all corners, sprayed with black gloss – now drying! Will fit it tomorrow.

I fully expect the bike to now run smoother, faster, quieter!

Thanks for the good tip!

Lawrence of Suburbia

2012 R1200R: Montego Blue with ABS, ESA, RDC, OBC, Puig rear hugger, Eagle semi-touring screen, Stebel Magnum horn, Grip Puppies, ss oil-cooler guard, Abdeckring installed, Wunderlich ‘Trophy’ fairing coming soon… that’s it!

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Anybody know whether there's a guard made for the 11-13 R's?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just checked the Max BMW parts fiche, and the bash plate on the camhead GS uses the same part number as the hexhead's. That makes me think the mount holes on the bottom of the engine blocks didn't change. Should be a universal fit on the R1200s.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Huh. So THAT's where the oil filter is. :D

BMW guys really are Teutonical. So Motorrad forgot to shield the oil filter and here you are, Juergen-on-the-spot, with two well thought out armor alternatives. In the meantime, the moron in the headline picture has a completely unprotected skull and I'd be will to bet those specs aren't quite up to ANSI shatterproof standards. I like this camp.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Hey, LoS
Good on ya. Actually you have to really get down there to even see it. I purposely left the barcode on there because it's "low weight" so helps with the bike's balance. It's grime blends in nicely with Blanche's underbelly grime.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Dr Strangelove,
Many thanks for the heads up, I will start my fabrication tomorrow.
As vulnerable as the filter position appears to be, I wonder if BMW were considering some additional air flow cooling effect on the housing.
I may consider adding some louvers on the protective plate so as to gain the advantage of protection and cooling.
Just a thought.
Regards
John

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Hi, John

Actually as you can see the plate is fenestrated with small holes. I test rode that plate over 6500 miles, desert, mountains, swamps, and did not see any adverse affect on my engine temp--assuming the bars are correct on that side of the display. I would not go to the trouble of putting fins on it . If it gets bent, I'll just make a new one. After Gulf Coast to West Coast and back, no dents, no trauma.

I drained the oil almost immediately upon return home, like 30-40 minutes or so, The plate was MUCH cooler than the engine , but the oil did not "feel" any hotter than usual, pre plate. Besides the bash plate that BMW sells impedes air flow far more than my little plate, and over the entire inferior surface of the engine. It has no fins.

My thoughts on this are that a freak accident can occur, as happened to Don. I am not going to go off road like a GS would in central Asia. Most GS riders are not in that kind of terrain, though some certainly are. Even fewer roadster riders are.
I suppose that some object could attain just the right trajectory to pierce the oil filter, but, whoa, that is rare and a reportable occurrence.
What this plate does, at less than $4 USD, is protect somewhat, and mainly divert the angle of attack of the offending foreign body, so that it is shunted away from the filter and the bike. Like NASA would do with an asteroid. Sort of. No shield can protect from everything, but diversion can be very effective. We could argue that this little plate could have prevented Don's piercing, and we can argue that the bash plate may not have. Just saying what my plate did, or was exposed to, or ...

Sometimes, and it is part of the hobby, people find cures when no disease is out there. Still, in tending to the garden of my OCD, I thought this little add-on would allow tremendous bang for the buck, if Don's experience is something we should worry about. Nothing will protect from everything.
I mean, I would be concerned that the piece of, what was it, rebar??, that hit his filter, it may have been protected by the bash plate.
But, who can say that, if a bash plate were there, it wouldn't have caught in one of the holes and been directed to the alloy crankcase and pierced that? That would have been FAR worse. It would probably have killed the bike dead, right then and I have no idea what would have happened to forward momentum.

The holes in the bash plate will protect from boulders and big round rocks, but not slim hard metal that can get caught there and be directed to the guts. And that rod may have harmlessly bounced away, unless caught by one of the holes and "diverted" to the heart of the bike.

I am far more concerned about other things on my rides, like running out of gas:p

But it is fun to talk about BMW issues and it is quite a hobby, albeit an expensive one, and different people have different concerns, I respect that. For me, I attained peace of mind at $4, and not the overpriced? bash plate farkle that may or may not be worse than the disease.
But your original question...don't worry about the cooling effect of fins. If it concerns you, put a few more holes in there, or drill them out a bit.

John

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
... the plate is fenestrated with small holes. ... entire inferior surface of the engine.... John
Wow - I dips me lid, John, and shall have to be exceeding careful - if not creative - in all my own future posts so as to keep up with your most excellent vocabulary!

Lawrence of Suburbia

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Be very careful, LoS, you may start using the work farkle, and referring to your steed as she.
:D

PS I saw a Blue roadster at the dealer yesterday, assuming Montego Blue as there is no other on the roadster, right?
It is more of a deep ocean blue than it appears in pictures. Very deep and pretty. Def caught my eye. Rich and maybe a hint of green in it somewhere

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Be very careful, LoS, you may start using the work farkle, and referring to your steed as she.
:D

John – the terms ‘farkle’ and ‘she’ shall never pass my lips or my mouse in relation to matters on this erudite Forum.

Try as I might I cannot accept what I regard as an entirely faux definition of ‘farkle’ as seen here (something to do with ‘bling’ and ‘sparkle’ – it sounds like a snake-oil all-purpose magical household cleaner being promoted on TV home shopping by a gauche young female presenter, all pert bosom and improbably white teeth).

As for ‘she’, this is taking anthropomorphism too far…

Sorry, old chap!

Lawrence of Suburbia

PS - yes, the Montego Blue is quite nice. I have had other versions of BMW's take on blue: my last bike (010 GS) was Lupin Blue, but a bit feminine, if I may say, IMHO, more in keeping with a chintzy interior: I had an earlier R in Biarritz Blue - very little different to Montego judging by some pix I have: and my very first 1100R (1998) was Atlantis Blue - which I always referred to as a sort-of denim blue-grey, very sombre! L

·
Registered
37 Posts
Can somebody remind me how to post pictures? Is it something I need to set up in Photobucket?
Thanks
Mark

1 - 20 of 26 Posts