BMW R1200R Forum banner

Spring 2014 and Total Control Class

6K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  rebobd 
#1 ·
First, here a few pictures from my total control class (wish I had they would have taken one with my knee dragging (me and my R were the only ones to get that far down that I dragged a knee and foot peg..even if that is not captured on picture, at least I have pictures of part of the course! I do have some footage with my gopro, but from far away..might upload that at some point too)

some other pictures from this spring (have been mostly riding in Kentucky, on the search for windy roads)

She's a nature girl:

and she loves to cross rivers by ferry (well I do apparently): crossing the green river from KY to TN

in southern IN now with a nice overlook over Louisville, KY.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for sharing. I did the UK's advanced training but it's purely based on the open road. I'd like to have a go at wizzzzing round a car park, under supervision of course. Looks fun.

#4 ·
I still haven't found a good angle that works for me..still experimenting with it.. it definitely helps with the buffeting, but I am having a hard time getting the angle I want (it is a little limited in angles when you have to keep it lower than the windshield ..so in front of it instead of on top of it).. it has made the tall bmw windshield bearable though... so for having won it and not paid for it it is really great :)

#5 ·
Great form! Now go out and practice what you learned on real roads! You'll soon be open to a whole new feeling of control and precision while cornering. One of the best things I learned in that course was the technique of easing off the throttle while easing on the brakes simultaneously while trail braking. It gives you such a smooth transition and doesn't upset the suspension.
What did you think of the course?

#6 ·
I have already been practicing! and yes it is fun how much more confidence I have going into sharp turns.. and the thrill of hearing the foot peg scraping is awesome! We did not practice trail breaking into turns in level 1 (now I have to save up for level 2 next year), but I have been practicing some of it on my own (have the book) a little. I am mostly now practicing the easing on and off throttle in first (and second gear sometimes) without the "R hop" as I call it. I always used the clutch to smooth out the 'hop' when easing off the throttle in first gear.. now I try to do it without the clutch when practicing .. it's like I am getting to know my bike all over again!

I LOVED the course! Most fun I ever had in a course! and I loved that me and my R were the only ones to get that far down (nobody else managed to get close to dragging their knee or foot peg.. the instructor, who is a racer, finally gave me some skid pads to make sure I won't damage my pants too much.. he was the only one besides me to drag a knee of course..ha!).

I loved the 'psychology' part of it too... not that I didn't know most of that..but it was a good reminder.. it always freaks me out when I feel the tire move away some when I hit gravel.. but when I do the same thing off road (with my R) in gravel I expect it and don't even notice it much...so I try to remind myself that it's ok when the tire does that.. no reason to freak out or worry.. just relax and have fun :clap:

#7 ·
Good stuff atractaspis! I put in the Booster Plug and no longer have that "R hop". It works and is also worth the money. Congrats on touching a knee! But more importantly, keep that bike as upright as possible. Often if you are scraping pegs, you could probably have hung off more and kept the bike more upright. You'll be amazed how fast and in precise control you can corner once you master that technique. It will give you extra emergency lean reserve if you need it and a bigger contact patch for more traction.

#8 ·
It is great to see others appreciate the course as much as I did. Now every ride is a total control practice run.

I took the course because of comments on this forum. Hopefully, this thread will inspire someone else to invest a few bucks and a day and get a great return in good form, extra fun and some life saving knowledge.

#9 ·
On the advice of a member here I bought the book by Lee "Total Control" and although I enjoyed reading it I felt that it is just a primer for the actual class. Reading about it and then going for a ride makes "thinking" about this and that very un-intuitive and actually quite distracting.
I know I'd gain better technique by taking the class and will try to arrange that sometime soon when it is in SoCal.

Nice write up atractaspis!

#10 ·
I think you are correct Surflj. It's really helpful to have read the material first before attending the course, though. But it started coming together for me at the course itself in the drills. Of course it didn't really come together until after hours of practice on long twisty rides--that is where the fun is. The better you master the techniques, the more fun you have. I'm so glad you guys took my advice to buy the book and take the course. It's done so much for my riding proficiency, safety and fun, that I just felt I had to share it with you guys. Best money I've spent on motorcycling BY FAR!

#11 ·
Hey..thanks for posting atractaspis, looks like your taking full advantage of your summers riding instead of parked up in the snow! thats the way to go.

#13 ·
the total control program is fantastic. as one of my friends who rides the track a lot and who is contemplating racing said, "I use lee parks every time i ride."

for me, it was about being in more control of the bike and how my inputs affect it. here's a photo of me with my knee down for the first time using a "double" puck Lee parks gave me. took me a while to get used to the sound and feeling of the puck touching.

another photo of me recently at a lee parks event at horsethief mile, a track here in socal. no more double pucks for me :)

Attachments

#14 ·
Thanks to atractaspis, pshimm, shawn, surflj and others, I'm truly looking forward to participating in Lee's Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic on July 26th. I've read lots of Lee's prose, and practiced over the years....but it was the resounding endorsements from you folk that prompted me to finally take the course. Thank You!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.