BMW R1200R Forum banner

Stability

1K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Paul911 
#1 ·
I live on an island, and have to take ferries to and from the mainland. The ferries are smooth (normally), so it is no worry about my motorcycle falling over. I always use the side-stand on the ferry. Yesterday, I saw a guy put his bike on the center-stand, so I asked him why he did that. He told me that is more stable than using the side-stand. I cannot believe that. If I am wrong, please explain it to me.

#3 ·
Try pushing your bike when it's on the side stand until it falls over, then try applying the same effort when it is on the side stand. You'll see what is more stable. [emoji846]

You have to lift the weight of the bike to take it off the center stand (helped with the lever provided by the stand) but a slight push forward is enough to have the side stand fold back and the bike crash. Especially considering that the R12R is not leaning a lot when on the side stand.

Ask those who once parked their bike in a slight slope without noticing. ^^

The center stand is more stable because the weight of the bike is acting as a "lock", Even though the projected surface of the contact point to the ground is wider when on the side stand, it requires less effort to move the gravity center of the the bike outside of this surface.

#6 ·
I always put my bike in gear when I park on the ferry so it doesn’t roll off the side stand. My GS had more lean angle with the side stand than the R, so it seems it would be a bit more stable when the ferry rolls side to side.

How much effort would it take to push the bike over off its center stand? You wouldn’t be lifting the entire weight of the bike, just tipping the bike with one leg of the center stand as a fulcrum. Imagine trying to tip me over with my legs spread shoulder width, then feet together.

#7 ·
I barely trust the too long R sidestand on level pavement. If I was on a ferry regularly I'd reinstall the centerstand.

The ferry system says sidestand because it's easier and lower risk for them if they have to move the bike, not because the bike is more stable.

#9 ·
The Anacortes Ferry route isn't usually a very rough ride IIRC. Do they still bring the bikes up to the front of the ferry, or does it depend on your departure terminal? Outside of the US, they strap bikes to anchors in the ferry floors, but I don't think that's commonplace here in the US. In WA the ferries are all within the Puget Sound where waters are usually calmer.

That said, with a stock side stand on WA ferries I'd be tempted to carry a ratchet strap and be sure to park somewhere I could strap the left frame loosely to the floor so that it doesn't "bounce" over onto it's right side. On a flat ferry deck, it's probably not really an issue...

The problem with using the center stand on a ferry is that you then have the equivalent of the bike resting on it's frame, and any shocks that happen are then direct to the frame. On the side stand the suspension will still absorb most of the shock. (I like the idea of a bungee on the front brake, too.)

#11 ·
(I like the idea of a bungee on the front brake, too.)
We always park them in gear and let them roll forward a little to take the slope out of the drivetrain.
On small ferries where we can stay on the deck we stay next to the bikes when leaving the dock and arriving at the dock.
Sometimes the captain is not that smooth.

Reactions: r0ckrat
#16 ·
I could easily see a bike on a ferry in rough sees getting pitched forward and rolling off the center stand. I'd put a strap around the front brake if I did that. On the side stand, I'd leave it in 1st gear and putting a strap around the front brake lever wouldn't hurt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.