BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to give everyone a status update on my banshee horn installation. I spent the large part of this weekend trying to mount the horn in various locations and I regretfully have to report that it was a no go for me. Due the the naked styling of the bike and the body shaping I had an extremely difficult time finding a mounting point on the frame with enough clearance. There was one possible location on the right hand side above the exhaust header and in front of the engine, but unfortunately with the mounting bracket the horn touched the header pipe.

I also potentially found a spot under the rear fender near the accessory outlet. But I did not like the proximity of the horn to the rear wheel. I do not have a lot of confidence in the mounting screw. More on that in a second.

Finally a tried to just put it under the seat somewhere, but without making cuts to the rear fender or anything there was just not enough room.

Now I was planning on mounting the horn to my crash bars, but after several experiments with that I just found the mounting bolt not to be confidence inspiring. You can see from the photo how the mounting bolt slides into the bracket on the horn. I had a lot of problems of the bolt sliding right out when I tried to tighten it down. The bolt would just rotate out of position.

That may be ok if the horn is tucked behind fairings, but being as exposed as it was and the open piece facing my boots, I was just too afraid that it would get knocked out on the road somewhere.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Sup, I put my horn on the crashbar underneath. It's worked just fine and the clamp has held for a year with no problem. You could try using a lock washer, or clamping on a bit of the crashbar that is slightly curved, and/or maybe use some loc-tite, you may get a better fit.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I saw how you did that and that was actually my #2 attempt. Unfortunately the mounting position and the configuration of my crash bars don't allow for that. I also have a slight fear bottoming it out since I have ground the pegs before on other motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Any room for it under the seat? Under the luggage rack? For what it's worth, I haven't bottomed out the bike into the horn and from what I understand, it's not the easiest thing in the world to bottom out the R12's anyway.

·
Registered
800 Posts
That may be ok if the horn is tucked behind fairings, but being as exposed as it was and the open piece facing my boots, I was just too afraid that it would get knocked out on the road somewhere.
The only way I was willing to mount a Stebel Nautilus (same horn) was in the position where the factory horn sits. The only way to do that (I'm told) is to remove the charcoal canister. Not willing to do that so I have a FIAMM Freeway Blaster. Not as loud, but loud enough.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Any room for it under the seat? Under the luggage rack? For what it's worth, I haven't bottomed out the bike into the horn and from what I understand, it's not the easiest thing in the world to bottom out the R12's anyway.
Unfortunately no, not under the seat. I could probably make it work behind the accessory plug up against the rear suspension, but again since I have no confidence in that bolt holding the last thing I want is for it to bust loose and then wedge between my rear wheel and the suspension.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
If you have the luggage rack, can you bolt the horn underneath? With lockwashers, loc-tite and long bolts, it should be good for the life of the bike.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Just to give everyone a status update on my banshee horn installation. I spent the large part of this weekend trying to mount the horn in various locations and I regretfully have to report that it was a no go for me. Due the the naked styling of the bike and the body shaping I had an extremely difficult time finding a mounting point on the frame with enough clearance. There was one possible location on the right hand side above the exhaust header and in front of the engine, but unfortunately with the mounting bracket the horn touched the header pipe.

I also potentially found a spot under the rear fender near the accessory outlet. But I did not like the proximity of the horn to the rear wheel. I do not have a lot of confidence in the mounting screw. More on that in a second.

Finally a tried to just put it under the seat somewhere, but without making cuts to the rear fender or anything there was just not enough room.

Now I was planning on mounting the horn to my crash bars, but after several experiments with that I just found the mounting bolt not to be confidence inspiring. You can see from the photo how the mounting bolt slides into the bracket on the horn. I had a lot of problems of the bolt sliding right out when I tried to tighten it down. The bolt would just rotate out of position.

I don't think you mentioned this, but are you installing the one that also flashes your headlights? Is that actually legal? I'm just curious, that's all.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think you mentioned this, but are you installing the one that also flashes your headlights? Is that actually legal? I'm just curious, that's all.
Yes that is the system. I don't see why it would not be legal since you can put headlight modulators on motorcycles, at least in Illinois where I live.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
The only way I was willing to mount a Stebel Nautilus (same horn) was in the position where the factory horn sits. The only way to do that (I'm told) is to remove the charcoal canister. Not willing to do that so I have a FIAMM Freeway Blaster. Not as loud, but loud enough.
Yonderbob, I think the Nautilus is bigger, but mine fits fine under the crashbar. If you don't get off on scraping the footpegs or using the bike to crush rocks, that position works fine.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts