BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
I always carry 2 x small 'Keiti' brand kits under the seat, but touch wood have never had to use one. BUT - reflecting about the possibility one day I did add into one of the kits a small pair of pinchers/ pincers/ pliers, figuring that if a nail or screw embedded itself into the tyre as the cause of the puncture, I'd almost certainly not be able to pull it out just with my bare fingers.

L of S

·
Registered
31 Posts
any one have any exp. with it....good or bad.

Paul
Yup, used one a few times, I chucked it in the trash. Sometimes the plugs stay, sometimes they don't. One time the tire spit out 3 plugs, another repair spit two plugs in less than 10 miles.. And yes, I know how to use the kit and ream the hole and insert the plug.

I went with good old rope style plugs; they have never failed me. I also carry a Dynaplug kit, have not needed to use it yet. It is just a fancy rope style plug system.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Never go anywhere without it. My back tyre seems to be a magnet for sharp objects and the stop n go has repaired the hole successfully every time. Only on one occasion have I had to get the repair redone professionally on my return home as there was a slight leak, all the others have been permanent.

I even managed to fix a double puncture on my F800 a few years ago.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I carry one all the time, has saved me twice. Simple to use, fast, and effecient plug. Ive had nothing but good luck with them, wouldnt hesitate to recomend.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Stop & go tyre plugger.

Yes. Me too. I alwats carry it. The bag it comes in is big enough to hold allen-key set, torque-keys, and a load of zip-ties as well. Get one. you won't regret it.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Question:
I have heard, and read, that if you get a flat on your bike you should replace the tire. Is this common practice? If so, why? Seems like an expensive repair, especially if you have new-ish tires.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Stop & Go Tire Plugger

Haven't used this Stop & Go kit.

New tubeless tires will often seal themself from a small nail. Rode around town with a roofing tack for a week and it didn't leak down.
If there is any air in the tire, I never pull the nail out on the roadside. Ride slowly until I get to where I can safely fix it.
Have had great results with sticky ropes for all small to medium size punctures. Use a small tube of gum cement and let the repair sit for a while at the six o'clock position.
I carry two types of plugs in case of a larger hole. Don't forget to carry a pair of needle nose pliers! Very handy.

This kit came with another BMW, but the plugs are BIG.
The suggestions to replace the tire are a "Safety First" approach. If you top-end the bike, ride 2-up with heavy luggage, or do long highway miles in summer, heat buildup can be an issue. I rope plugged a BT207 with 200 kilometers on it; it was fine until the cords began to show. I often rode solo at the speed limit though. Your safety is your responsibility.:)

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
The tyre normally only needs replacing if the puncture is in the side wall. Also I'm sure there's a safety issue if you have more than 2 repairs. BUT as Clem says above your safety is your own responsibility and if you think the tyre needs replacing then do it.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
so what does one do with the tubeless but tubed tires on the Classic? Are they pluggable or should Classic owners just tattoo the BMW towing service on their forearms? I'm aware of that gizmo, I think Hoshiko found where you can wrap the inside of the spoked rims with sealing tape, but I've done enough occupational therapy for the summer. So should Classic owners use the Stop n Go kit?

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
drDave - I don't think so. The plug is in the tyre so won't repair the damage to the inner tube. Repairs are done with the tyre on the bike. As far as I know the wheel and tyre would have to be removed to get to the inner tube.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
F-word. :( I want a set of BST rims and tubeless tires. . . .

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I have had one flat so far with my classic. I would stop and pump it up every 5 miles until I got it to a dealer because the leak was not big. I was lucky to be only 20 miles away from the dealer.

The cast wheels that where on the 2010 and 2009 R1200R look nice, and having the ability to fix a flat sounds good. I have contemplated making the switch if they fit.

In the mean time I carry Slime and a pump. The next time I get a flat I will try the Slime. Several people say it works. I have seen it work on a bicycle. They make it in several size containers.

Has anyone else have experience with fixing tires with tubes without taking the tire off?

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Keep an eye on fleabay. Wheels do come up quite regularly. I picked up a spare back wheel for a very good price and had it powder coated. I believe it was from an R1200RT originally. I'm always on the lookout for a front but as I'd like one with brake discs they are way more expensive.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The Stop n Go is just magic. Just so easy to use. I purchased the pistol grip style with the rubber mushroom type plugs. I travel with a manual pump, not interested in the cylinders ( approx. 6psi / cylinder only, I am told ).
My brothers car tyre was my first ( and only, touch wood ) experience. All is still going well.
Regards
John

·
Registered
489 Posts
Stop N Go.....Yeah right

I have no doubt that it works for some punctures, but didn't work for me. Had a great 380km ride yesterday, however 5 minutes from home picked up a TEK screw in my rear tyre, tyre pressure monitor advised I was losing pressure and got home with 14psi remaining. How lucky was that.... I tried to use the Stop N Go, removed the screw, reamed the hole, plugged with the mushroom plug and she won't hold air. I have a couple of weeks to get it sorted, before I take my bike to the shop for 10,000 service. Has anyone a little advice on repairing the hole, brand of rope repair kit, etc...

Thank you

Shishka

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have no doubt that it works for some punctures, but didn't work for me. Had a great 380km ride yesterday, however 5 minutes from home picked up a TEK screw in my rear tyre, tyre pressure monitor advised I was losing pressure and got home with 14psi remaining. How lucky was that.... I tried to use the Stop N Go, removed the screw, reamed the hole, plugged with the mushroom plug and she won't hold air. I have a couple of weeks to get it sorted, before I take my bike to the shop for 10,000 service. Has anyone a little advice on repairing the hole, brand of rope repair kit, etc...

Thank you

Shishka
Might be time to get a patch if a plug won't work - or a new tire.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts