BMW R1200R Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2011 R1200R Classic MU
98 Posts
(If this is a repeat of an earlier discussion, then my apologies)

Or, use a similar but better product to the the "temporary" green Slime. . . . . . . . . Bike-Seal AutoSeal.

Anyone have any real puncture experience with liquid puncture repairs? Did you even notice that you had a puncture ?

Bike-Seal AutoSeal is left in the tyre (tubed or tubeless tyres) for the long-term, and in theory plugs any puncture in the tread (not a tear, and perhaps not in the tyre wall) for the life of the tyre.

Not the best YouTube videos but the product appears good.

Last year I put this in the tyres of my 2011 R1200R Classic (spokes and tubes), and my 1999 N1200 Bandit (tubeless). Also plan to put it in my 2011 Bonneville (spokes and tubes) after having some new tyres fitted. Cost is approx £30 per bike. I may still carry the sticky string kit ( have done for 9 years but only had one small puncture in that time in my N1200).

Do I work for Bike-Seal AutoSeal ? - - nope.

Disadvantages: the semi-liquid-goop tries to exit the tyre valve when you check your tyre pressures, so may mess up your pressure gauge (short air line). Not sure yet. I try to only add air and use the compressor pumps pressure gauge on the end of a long airline.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Disadvantages: the semi-liquid-goop tries to exit the tyre valve when you check your tyre pressures, so may mess up your pressure gauge (short air line). Not sure yet. I try to only add air and use the compressor pumps pressure gauge on the end of a long airline.
It also makes a complete mess of the inside of the rim, and if you have a TPMS may bugger up that system as well.

Unless you change your own tires, don't expect the shop doing your tire changes to be pleased about the goop, either.

·
Registered
2011 R1200R Classic MU
98 Posts
Good points there (y) , especially say goodbye to TPMS. But horses for courses maybe. Rather have the puncture fixed while rolling than be told I have a slow puncture.

Most tyre shops do not mind if you pre-warn them about goop in tubeless tyres, but tubed tyres are always clean

·
Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
1,677 Posts
I use a tyre sealer (ultra seal) which is brilliant for sealing and preventing punctures being a problem. However I do change my own tyres and it does make a bloody awful mess, if you get any on the driveway it takes ages to clear up if you let it dry so everything must be cleaned up straight away. I does not affect the TPMS because centrifugal forces keep it fairly clear. Used in my wife's car which had a 2" nail go through but it sealed that up fine for over 5 years.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
319 Posts
I used slime in my wife's car once, a chrysler factory aluminum wheel had a terribly corroded bead, huge voids, and would not hold air even after pushing the bead down, sanding and using sealer. So I used a large bottle of slime laid the wheel so the offending side was down and filled with air and left it for a few hours.
That tire lasted about 40k miles and went off to the junkyard with the rest of the car with no more leakage. That was before tpms, so ko experience with the two together.

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Interesting findings from our favourite YouTube advocate RyanF9

Who is this guy? I've never heard of him and the review is more about him than the products. It always annoys me when these so called online influencers can say almost whatever they want without any credible evidence or experience.

Reactions: SteveJH

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
319 Posts
Who is this guy? I've never heard of him and the review is more about him than the products. It always annoys me when these so called online influencers can say almost whatever they want without any credible evidence or experience.
Credible evidence or experience? You sir are referring to man so finely skilled he can clearly feel the 1250 shifting cam and is disgusted by the sensational hole in performance it creates! Can you? Such finely tuned sciencing moves him to the category of, the science is settled.

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Credible evidence or experience? You sir are referring to man so finely skilled he can clearly feel the 1250 shifting cam and is disgusted by the sensational hole in performance it creates! Can you? Such finely tuned sciencing moves him to the category of, the science is settled.
WOW, yet he finds the use of the stop n go complicated!!!

·
Registered
2011 R1200R Classic MU
98 Posts
To Dave in the UK,

Ryan wasisname appears to work for FortNine the Canadian motorcycle accessories supplier

I had good product service from F9 the one time I used them.

Ryan used to be okay in his various explanations, but now is getting too big for his motorcycle boots and crash helmet.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Very VERY happily, I haven't had to fix many flats, so my opinion is just that and a long way from expert.

I used to use the mushroom plugs but stopped carrying the kit when I found that on two consecutive occasions within a week - one front, one rear - the mushroom plugs failed APPARENTLY cut by the steel belts in the tread. I emphasize apparently as I didn't make a huge amount of effort to fully identify the problem, just noted (a) flat tires and (b) cut plugs. As always, YMMV and you may have no issues.

Still have some Stop'n'Go plugs and the tool in my shop - anyone wants them, they are yours for $10 in postage - ConUS only, of course.

JtL

·
Registered
397 Posts
Very VERY happily, I haven't had to fix many flats, so my opinion is just that and a long way from expert.

I used to use the mushroom plugs but stopped carrying the kit when I found that on two consecutive occasions within a week - one front, one rear - the mushroom plugs failed APPARENTLY cut by the steel belts in the tread. I emphasize apparently as I didn't make a huge amount of effort to fully identify the problem, just noted (a) flat tires and (b) cut plugs. As always, YMMV and you may have no issues.

Still have some Stop'n'Go plugs and the tool in my shop - anyone wants them, they are yours for $10 in postage - ConUS only, of course.

JtL
For that price, I'll take it!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
219 Posts
Right after posting I realized I may have made a false promise - sorry r0chrat! - as I wasn't sure which bits of the kit I have left. It seems I must have given most of the two kits I had away. Why they are separated, I have no idea.

What I have left is the large gun thing missing its nose - the first gen version which is quite big - and a bag of somewhere between 50-100 plugs. If you (or anyone else) wants this stuff let me know.

Having dragged it out of its hiding place, it's either going in the mail or the trash!

Apologies for any false hopes raised, but IMHO you missed nothing of any value.

Now I carry the Dynaplug thing (just because I already have one) and my preference, one of these. Add a compact compressor/inflator and a TINY pair plier to remove nails etc. That, plus a credit card;)

JtL

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
5,970 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
I assume they were steel belts as suggested by someone. All I recall is that in both cases the tires lost pressure over a few hours, and when finally changed, the mushrooms - loose inside the tire - looked as if they had been cut, in one case on the stem, and in the other just under the head.

I've moved on to what I consider better - and smaller & lighter to carry.

The Stop 'n' Go isn't bad IMHO, it just to my mind adds unnecessary complication to a relatively simple short-term problem. Short term, because the plug, of whatever description, only has to last until I can get a new tire fitted.

·
Registered
R1250R
432 Posts
I think the thing to remember is that any external road side repair is temporary. They are not recommended or approved (in the UK) but are ideal for getting you home.

I’ve always had my punctures professionally repaired (as I don’t have a bead breaker etc etc). They are approved.

Bear in mind that if you have an accident as a result of an issue with a non-approved repair you may find your insurance does not cover you.

·
2,866 Posts
I’ve used Tire Plugger for around 10-years (maybe more), and the system has never let me down. Granted is a little fiddly, but once used a few time its easy peasy. Being a touch anal, I actually run through taking both wheels off the my os n-bike tool and doing a dummy run with the tire plugger on an old tyre I have in the garage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

41 - 57 of 57 Posts