BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has started to happen on my R1250R with around 3500km. The first time I noticed it was around 1500km.

What is strange is that this happens when I try to change the damping with D-ESA button (rightmost switch on the left cluster, the one with the symbol of a shock absorber), which shouldn't have anything to do with DTC. The motorcycle in question is fully loaded: Dynamic ESA, DTC, ABS Pro amongst others. At first this occured on bumpy roads, so I thought that perhaps you need to wait for smoother roads for the damping control to have some "breathing space" before switching modes. But then the error occured at standstill!

The message is displayed instead of the "Road/Dynamic" and spring settings for a few seconds and then disappears. After another press sometimes it appears again, but most often everything works on the second or third try. The error is not described in the user manual.

The motorcycle will be in the shop on Friday anyway, since they will be installing the engine protection bars, so they will have a look at it. But until then: does anyone have an idea what this could be?

·
Registered
3 Posts
This has started to happen on my R1250R with around 3500km. The first time I noticed it was around 1500km.

What is strange is that this happens when I try to change the damping with D-ESA button (rightmost switch on the left cluster, the one with the symbol of a shock absorber), which shouldn't have anything to do with DTC. The motorcycle in question is fully loaded: Dynamic ESA, DTC, ABS Pro amongst others. At first this occured on bumpy roads, so I thought that perhaps you need to wait for smoother roads for the damping control to have some "breathing space" before switching modes. But then the error occured at standstill!

The message is displayed instead of the "Road/Dynamic" and spring settings for a few seconds and then disappears. After another press sometimes it appears again, but most often everything works on the second or third try. The error is not described in the user manual.

The motorcycle will be in the shop on Friday anyway, since they will be installing the engine protection bars, so they will have a look at it. But until then: does anyone have an idea what this could be?
Hi! My brand new S1000XR also does this intermittently. Sometimes I can flip between suspension in ROAD and DYNAMIC and other times the error “Unable to adjust DTC due to incorrect riding mode selected” flashes up.

it’s very annoying because I’m not trying to do anything with the DTC!!

Let us know what the dealer says?

Ive spoken to my dealer on the phone but they totally misunderstand what I’m saying. They rekon the bike needs to be stationary to adjust the preload settings. I’m not trying to do that…I can’t do that on my bike, it’s always AUTO in the preload (rider, pillion, luggage etc) setting.

they don’t even seem to understand that the error that comes up is relating to the DTC and not the ESA 🙄

Head - Brick wall.

Anyway, going to take the bike in to show them. I’ll let you know what they say.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,388 Posts
Sounds like a firmware update/refresh might be needed in both cases.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Showed the dealer yesterday. They said they had another bike in doing the same thing but before that had not seen this error.

Booked the bike in for a software update. Failing that they will raise a case to BMW technical.

Mentioned that others have had spurious errors due to low battery/poor battery connection, checked mine and all ok.

Really happy with the dealer response so far.
Will update with results…

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the update. I, unfortunately, will only get back to you after a fortnight, since I've had a small crash and won't be able to ride for a week or so. But I did manage to get a picture of the error:
Speedometer Vehicle Motor vehicle Odometer Gauge

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah, sorry, I forgot to mention. My mechanic said that he recalibrated all the sensors for the suspension. Apparently that was not enough, since the problem occurred on the very next ride and other rides since then. Next step: change of software. Currently it's 022_007_020. We'll see...

Reactions: Panzermann
1 - 7 of 7 Posts