BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed some SW-Motech "Kobra" handguards on the bike. The installation instructions weren't very good, but it was still relatively straightforward to install. I'm pretty happy with these.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
In pic 2, on the left side, is the handguard's stabilizing arm reaching under the clutch housing and bracketing onto the handlebar next to the mirror mount?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In pic 2, on the left side, is the handguard's stabilizing arm reaching under the clutch housing and bracketing onto the handlebar next to the mirror mount?
Here are a few photos that show how the inboard brackets sit next to the mirror mounts and reach under the handbar sets.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Good choice, @Buggzilla, I'm very happy with mine. They're strong, good quality and IMHO their best feature is that the "stabilizing arm" is mounted on 2 points, therefore does not bend in case of crash and protects the hands better. I have mine since more than 3 years, had one major fall with sliding, one minor slide about 5 meters and several drops from still and all the time they did a great job. Mine are with the optional height extender (highly recommended) and with led blinkers which survived the last small slide with small scratch on the edge.

All the best and ride safely
Momchil

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good choice, @Buggzilla, I'm very happy with mine. They're strong, good quality and IMHO their best feature is that the "stabilizing arm" is mounted on 2 points, therefore does not bend in case of crash and protects the hands better. I have mine since more than 3 years, had one major fall with sliding, one minor slide about 5 meters and several drops from still and all the time they did a great job. Mine are with the optional height extender (highly recommended) and with led blinkers which survived the last small slide with small scratch on the edge.

All the best and ride safely
Momchil
That's good feedback to hear. I've put only a few miles on mine thus far, but feel like they're good overall protection.
Can you post a photo or two of the optional height extender, as I didn't know that was an option.
Also, would like to see the LED blinkers, too.
Cheers!
Mark "Buggzilla"

·
Registered
87 Posts
That's good feedback to hear. I've put only a few miles on mine thus far, but feel like they're good overall protection.
Can you post a photo or two of the optional height extender, as I didn't know that was an option.
Also, would like to see the LED blinkers, too.
Cheers!
Mark "Buggzilla"
Hi, Mark,

Here they are:
Height extenders: https://sw-motech.com/en/bike/BMW/R...protection/handguards/KOBRA/4052572021439.htm
Led blinkers: https://sw-motech.com/en/bike/BMW/R...protection/handguards/KOBRA/4052572021453.htm

In the blinkers docs they say you have to unplug your bike's original blinkers but at dealer's service didn't unplug them and they work together without a problem. Well most probably because my bike blinkers are LED too, not sure for classic bulb ones. Fair warning here - if one of the KOBRA blinkers dies you'll have to replace the whole blinker according my technical person (mine right died after 3 years) which is bit costly :(

Here you are some pics of Kobras on the bike with height extender and blinkers:
- The day they've been mounted Feb 2018
20180215_133430_HDR.jpg
- And as time goes on
20180410_195107_HDR.jpg IMG_20190426_154337.jpg

Cheers,
Momchil

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,105 Posts
The styling really suits the bike I reckon, although I prefer them not to be emblazoned with the brand name (except if you’re riding a choosy).

The mountings are a dead ringer for Barkbuster two-point mounts.

·
Registered
2018 R1200R
38 Posts
I just ordered these along with the turn signal inserts. I've got some clear wunderlich type (Chinese imitation) ones on now, but don't like the look. These look great. I'm looking forward to putting them on.

For the blinkers, is it just a matter of tapping into the existing turn signal wires (led version)?

·
Registered
Africa Twin's and a BMW or two
4 Posts
It's not possible to get these items at the moment for whatever reason.
Seems to be a delay of a few weeks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts