BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to All,
Has anyone had any experience with TechSpec Tank grips.
Thought I would be a little clever ( spending the wife`s inheritance) and purchase the grips.
I know that I am old, now retired and in the early stage of grumpy ( via my granddaughter), but these grips look very ODD to me.
R1200R 07-12 62-1003-SS.
I do hope the pictures appear, I will give it my best.

Regards
John

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Wow, those look very nice John. Good find! Post some installation photos after you spend the wife's inheritance. I have SIDI boots, a very grippy sports seat and have never slipped, or else I might be interested in those.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The shape , the shape, Do not the longer portions look unusual. The three items only make up the kit. Centre, left and right.

What am I missing here ????
John

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Nope. The SHAPE looks just fine to me. Did you cut the right side pad, or did it come like that?

Left Side

Right Side

The L shape fits the Roadster tank well enough. It keeps the inside of your knee from slipping when you hang off.
I like the C3 Grip set so much, I think I'll get a set, and I don't even NEED them. Farkled again!

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
YES! Most certainly that is NOT right! L & R should be the same. You must have received someone's returned item. They owe you a new set at their shipping expense. IMO

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it all seems academic, but after three emails, two to the BMW supplier ( who can not see anything wrong) and one to the manufacturer ( with pictures) who has not returned my email.
Oh well, we wait and see.....
John

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
John, Their USA home website is NOT the most user friendly website I've ever seen. I looked at the Australian website and was not impressed by it.
Something to be desired. Likewise on the Japanese Stile-Ltd website. But in all fairness, the Japanese distributor of TechSpec answered my e-mail inquiry speedily and when I called he was very courteous and informative. Bottom line is, they don't keep very much stock on hand, and it's an order and wait routine. COD deliveries only. I was told mid-July. We'll see how long it takes. Have you tried calling to get a person's name and expedite their customer service response?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dear Clem,
Many thanks for your continued replies.
1) I did not realise this was a Japanese manufacturer, my contact has been via the USA BMW supplier ( not TechSpec).
2)I have not come across the R1200R Aus site ( but do not doubt your thoughts).

I think I may have uncovered the anomaly.
Having being sent a photo of a ((R1200R 2012)) ( both R and L sides of the tank ) with HORIZONTAL spark plug covers. There is a difference, the right side is not as full in shape and accounts for the smaller portion of the tank cover.

My bike R1200R, purchased October 2012 ( so I can only assume 2012 model ), is DOHC ( VERTICAL spark plug covers).

I hope other R1200R owners from the forum can confirm the difference in tank side shape.
Many thanks as always for your comments.
Regards
John

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
I was under the impression TechSpec was a USA company/manufacturer and they had world-wide contracts with 13 distribtor companies in various countries to sell their products.
Home page
I updated my above post photos after reading your reply. It is, after all, :dizzy:different from L to R. Proof positive, an old dog CAN learn new tricks.:001_tongue:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts