BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have noticed that the right hand side of the telelever (below the air intake and forward and aft of that) is starting to show some yellowing discolouration. There is no discolouration on the left side. The bike is stored in a garage so weathering is unlikely the cause.

My bike is a "Classic", as per VIN build data, albeit with Candy Red tank etc. This means the frame/telelevr colour is "Aplinweiss" - a silvery white.

Has anybody else experiencing this? Any suggestions for removing discolouration - a hard clean/wax didn't do the job.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have noticed that the right hand side of the telelever (below the air intake and forward and aft of that) is starting to show some yellowing discolouration. There is no discolouration on the left side. The bike is stored in a garage so weathering is unlikely the cause.

My bike is a "Classic", as per VIN build data, albeit with Candy Red tank etc. This means the frame/telelevr colour is "Aplinweiss" - a silvery white.

Has anybody else experiencing this? Any suggestions for removing discolouration - a hard clean/wax didn't do the job.
Sorry to hear about the weird coloration (very strange, and obviously caused by "something", but nothing I've experienced).

Anyway, if you want to bring it back to original condition, I'd call various new car dealerships "Lexus, Audi, BMW etc." and ask for the person they use (typically an independent contractor) who performs bumper repair/touch up work. In fact, I used one of these guys in my area to paint my "Puig rear fender bracket" to match the grey on the shaft drive of my 90th anniversary and it came out great/looks virtually O.E.M.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I used one of these guys in my area to paint my "Puig rear fender bracket" to match the grey on the shaft drive of my 90th anniversary and it came out great/looks virtually O.E.M.
Got a picture of that? Would be interested to see what it looks like.

·
Registered
824 Posts
That looks really good!
Funny, my detailing my Puig it was sort of the reverse....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
BOTH look REALLY NICE! Thanks very much for sharing.

How much is the PUIG Hugger and how long does it take to install?

·
Registered
701 Posts
BOTH look REALLY NICE! Thanks very much for sharing.

I ordered mine when I bought the R new in 2013, I want to say it was in the $300/$350 range, and I think the painter charged about $125.

Anyway - IMO the Puig looks good/suits the R and keeps/protects the rear inner area and shock clean

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I ordered mine when I bought the R new in 2013, I want to say it was in the $300/$350 range, and I think the painter charged about $125.

Anyway - IMO the Puig looks good/suits the R and keeps/protects the rear inner area and shock clean
Thanks very much!

·
Registered
824 Posts
I purchased the Puig on Revzilla for around $225 and did the paint job myself. Installation was 30 minutes or so.
You do want to remember to use Loctite on all the fasteners, and a torque wrench to refasten the bike bolts that you remove (2).
Quite happy with the protection it affords the shock and I think it fills the area well as I felt it looked a bit empty there before.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts

Within the last three weeks I paid AUD$306, = USD$223, for my unit bought from <brspecialengineering> UK, incl shipping to Oz.

Painting it oneself is very easy and excellent results can be had from an aerosol can of auto paint of the correct colour.

My current hugger is in the Carbono faux carbon finish, which IMHO goes pretty well with almost any of the recent BMW paint choices.

Fitting could hardly be easier and clear illustrated instructions come with the hugger. Even easier to follow if one is fluent in Spanish, but OK if not!

Allow thirty (30) minutes tops - no special tools required.

A good investment...

L of S

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Thanks very much guys. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts