BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Any one here as daft as me and has thought of or performed a Telelever-ectomy on my 2008?

I know it sounds crazy, and I have always thought Telelever was the height of performance, but I am thinking it might be easy if the bike has conventional or USD forks, like the RnineT, LC, and all the new coming Roadsters versions.

Any one seen a head/upper & lower triple clamp system replacement?

Jay

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hello,

Any one here as daft as me and has thought of or performed a Telelever-ectomy on my 2008?

I know it sounds crazy, and I have always thought Telelever was the height of performance, but I am thinking it might be easy if the bike has conventional or USD forks, like the RnineT, LC, and all the new coming Roadsters versions.

Jay

It can be done - I've seen more than a few custom R1200R builds where the telelever was ditched - doubt it'd be cheap. But why would you even consider it? The telelever is half the reason I bought a Camhead. You could probably trade in your current bike for a new R1200R or NineT for considerably less than it'd cost you to convert to traditional forks.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Riding for the Buzz

Hi Jay. Go For IT !!! You'll be the first. Pictures please.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scrambler?

It can be done - I've seen more than a few custom R1200R builds where the telelever was ditched - doubt it'd be cheap. But why would you even consider it? The telelever is half the reason I bought a Camhead. You could probably trade in your current bike for a new R1200R or NineT for considerably less than it'd cost you to convert to traditional forks.
Thanks for the reply, BoxerJim.

Good question. I too like Telelever...always have. I guess I was thinking of lightening the front end and getting more feedback. I thinking of turning her into a Scrambler.

Unfortunately, I don't think it would be more cost effective to trade her in...I'd be lucky to be get $5K trade-in value. When the Urban GS becomes available here, I'll have to check out what my dealer will offer.

I'll keep every one posted.

Jay

·
Registered
416 Posts
Thanks for the reply, BoxerJim.

Good question. I too like Telelever...always have. I guess I was thinking of lightening the front end and getting more feedback. I thinking of turning her into a Scrambler.

Unfortunately, I don't think it would be more cost effective to trade her in...I'd be lucky to be get $5K trade-in value. When the Urban GS becomes available here, I'll have to check out what my dealer will offer.

I'll keep every one posted.

Jay

Like you, I've been on lots of bikes - conventional and telelever. I guess, for the cost to convert there wouldn't be enough upside to justify it. I've never really bought into the arguments that telelevers have vague front ends with too little feedback, but YMMV. Your Hexhead's front suspension is way better than the stock suspension on the Urban GS - which is a budget component. Even the premium 9T's inverted forks are low quality Showa, and a major complaint item for owners. Many spend thousands to upgrade. And keep in mind that both the GS and GSA use the telelever - so if you're thinking it's not appropriate for your scrambler build, that's something to consider.

I guess without more information, I'm not super clear on why you'd want to convert. Maybe you're just a tinkerer - that's cool. But were it me, I'd be looking at just spending some money improving the stock suspension on the bike instead of replacing it.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Hello, anyone here as daft as me and has thought of or performed a Telelever-ectomy on my 2008?

I know it sounds crazy, and I have always thought Telelever was the height of performance, but I am thinking it might be easy if the bike has conventional or USD forks, like the RnineT, LC, and all the new coming Roadsters versions. Jay

I mean it very kindly, Jay, but you must be MAD!:surprise:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess without more information, I'm not super clear on why you'd want to convert. Maybe you're just a tinkerer - that's cool. But were it me, I'd be looking at just spending some money improving the stock suspension on the bike instead of replacing it.
Tinkerer...that's me...maybe I should invest in a set of Öhlins first [just missed a deal for a pair ($600)] and a set of Pirelli MT60s like on my Ducati Scrambler.

Jay

Reactions: BoxerJim

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Scrambler lite ...

1.JPG
July 2016, Dempster Hwy, YT, Cananda

2.JPG
July 2016, Dempster Hwy, YT, Cananda

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I saw you bike in another topic, Svaha!Dean, and like the TKC80s very much.

BoxerJim, I bought a set of GS wire wheels in the US, but sold them before going through the hassle of customs here in Sweden. I still think about picking up a set in Germany, but wonder if the 19" front wheel will require more modification than just removing the plastic fender (maybe not, as seen in the top picture your shared). Any idea where the seats come from?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yes, I saw you bike in another topic, Svaha!Dean, and like the TKC80s very much.

BoxerJim, I bought a set of GS wire wheels in the US, but sold them before going through the hassle of customs here in Sweden. I still think about picking up a set in Germany, but wonder if the 19" front wheel will require more modification than just removing the plastic fender (maybe not, as seen in the top picture your shared). Any idea where the seats come from?
I don't believe gs wheels would be a plug and play swap. IIRC the hubs are different. You could probably swap wheels with a Classic owner though or a 9T owner. They're often looking to ditch the tube tires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello,

Jay
I say go for it!

It can be done, you'd just have to find replacement forks, triple clamps and voila. Park your 12R next to a 9T and you'll see where the differences are and what you'd need. BMW already did it.

You can also move the oil cooler up out of the way, which could make for a cleaner look.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'm sure it can be done - adding money can accomplish a lot.

I wonder if the steering head assembly on a Telelever bike is the same size and inclination as on a telescopic bike. Because Telelever suspension loads are shared between the steering head and the Telelever pivots on the motor, there's a possibility that the steering head dimensions are different, or smaller.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm sure it can be done - adding money can accomplish a lot.

I wonder if the steering head assembly on a Telelever bike is the same size and inclination as on a telescopic bike. Because Telelever suspension loads are shared between the steering head and the Telelever pivots on the motor, there's a possibility that the steering head dimensions are different, or smaller.

Yeah, I don't think any of that would translate. You'd probably have to custom fab a mount for a new steering head/bearing and probably some of the frame too. I can see possibly using the front end and frame section from a 9T (since the engine mounting points are the same) but that brings up issues of tank compatibility. That may be another reason I haven't seen a stock tank with a traditional front end...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's another attempt that nearly brings a tear to my eye

Yeah, I don't think any of that would translate. You'd probably have to custom fab a mount for a new steering head/bearing and probably some of the frame too. I can see possibly using the front end and frame section from a 9T (since the engine mounting points are the same) but that brings up issues of tank compatibility. That may be another reason I haven't seen a stock tank with a traditional front end...

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
5,684 Posts
Reactions: jeverett486
1 - 19 of 19 Posts