BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, yes, it was 95 degrees on my Chicagoland strip of **** they call I94, and the temp strip was 1 bar above the middle, all the time, all gears, all speeds.

Yes, I know the motor is bulletproof, mostly (which actually comes in handy in Chicago, but that's another story).

So my question is: what is the "correct" reading of the temp strip on the 12 Classics? Does one or should one do anything other than avoid heat stroke while riding in Satanic conditions and watching the temp gauge notch up? And how many bars is too far?

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
that was strip of h e l l which they apparently edited out.

·
Registered
95 Posts
There's an engine temperature gauge on the 2012's ? Is that another display that was removed from the 2013's? Like the fuel level gauge and miles to empty.

Brian

·
Registered
800 Posts
Well, Dr. Dave... fwiw... the temps here in sunny FL have reached the 90's again... and it's only May. I will suffer all summer for all those winter postings of my riding merriment.

On my way down from the cool mountain air, as soon as I hit Jacksonville, I hit 90's. Anyway, in stop and go traffic through St. Augustine, the bar got one over the middle. As I waited impatiently through 5 traffic light changes for lost tourists to clear the bridge out of town, the temp indicator never went any higher. Never has in the past year.

Btw, visited the Riding Through History motorcycle show and concourse on the way back. Well worth the trip (Even in 90/90 weather) if you ever get the chance...

The attached was taken in the parking lot! I ran out of camera battery before I ran out of machinery to photograph!

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beautiful red bike, YBob. What's the year?

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's an engine temperature gauge on the 2012's ? Is that another display that was removed from the 2013's? Like the fuel level gauge and miles to empty.

Brian
Interesting. So BMW dealt with defective readouts by eliminating them? What do the 2013 gauges do? Say."me good" or "me bad?" :)

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Temp. Bars

drDave:) Yesterday 88 degrees Riding 2-up tangled in traffic and got 5 bars just like you. First time this has happened this year. It usually stays at 4 bars right in the middle of the scale. The engine idled and ran normally, so I continued on home with no abnormal engine events.
Another time last summer 5 bars occured in traffic, I got back on the highway, and it dropped back down to 4 bars and remained there. Think our engines are OK with 1 over the middle. Wonder how many degrees each bar represents?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yes, Motorrad removed the fuel-level bars (11) and engine temperature bars (9) bars on 2013s built after February. Why take off the coolant bars? Because they're symmetry freaks? It's an odd omission that probably doesn't have anything to do with the erratic fuel-level strip whose function is linked to the fuel-level bars and the residual-range data of the onboard computer, both of which are gone on post 2/13 bikes. I suspect the fuel clusterflock prompted the display change. Alas, engine temperature got caught in the crossfire. :2guns:

Dave, when commuting in stop-and-go D.C. traffic, the engine temperature on my hexhead have gotten as high as the second notch at the top of the display. Never seen them go to the top. At one, two or even three bars above that bottom notch (on the left of the display), I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks again Bill. I guess I won't miss what I don't have on my post 2/13 bike. Temp and fuel gauge would have been nice, if they worked accurately.
cheers,
Brian

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again Bill. I guess I won't miss what I don't have on my post 2/13 bike. Temp and fuel gauge would have been nice, if they worked accurately.
cheers,
Brian
Brian,

Who can tell? They do something. My fuel gauge goes down and my temp gauge goes up, but up and down on a digital bar gauge are not all that informative. It would be helpful to know how many gallons or liters is "one bar" and how much temperature rise or fall corresponds to each bar on the strip.

I seem to recall in 100 degree weather last year, I notched the temp strip up to 3 bars, but since the engine didn't blow up, it seems like one of those pieces of information that doesn't really mean anything. Like when the bike's outside temp reading starts flashing on and off at about 38 degrees, which an old BMW car I had did as well. (You people on Planet Florida, trust me on this).

BTW.. .all you supermoderators, why does the forum automatically blank out relatively innocuous words like h e l l? Do we need to protect forum members from. . . . . .:censored::cursing::devil2: :)

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
My temp bars stay level with the middle notch during my 35 minute commute, longer back lane runs and 80mph motorway runs. Only once when sat in very slow stop/go traffic for half an hour it went 2 bars higher. My friends all riding water cooled inline 4 cylinder bikes all had their fans working overtime!!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just read the manual. For a 2012 bike the temp gauge and fuel gauge are part on the option On board Computer or the "Info" button.

David

·
Registered
171 Posts
The only time I see more than middle on the temp gauge is in stop and go traffic. Or traffic jams on the expressway. No where to go and if traffic is crawling its hard to shut the bike off.

My RT ran much hotter than this bike probably because the tupperware.

Either one, shut the motor off for even 5 minutes and its cool again.

Oil breaks down by the temp its run at. It may last 3,000 miles at 250*f , but only 1000 miles at 350*f. I do not know the exact numbers Its been 33 years. Oil temp is all that matters, ambient mean nothing.

I read a while ago
"No one worried about overheating a boxer until
BMW put a temp gauge on one."

David

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
I read a while ago "No one worried about overheating a boxer until BMW put a temp gauge on one." David
That's both true and a Classic, David (black with white stripe). Less is so very often more....

L of S

·
Registered
95 Posts
Never had a temp or fuel gauge on any bike I've owned in the past, don't have one now on my new r1200r Montego Blue. Always used my trip odometer as a fuel gauge, fill when I reach a certain distance and then never worry.
Brian

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
One of the first times I took my bike to NJ, it was 3 digit hot, I got stocked on the Lincoln tunnel and remember getting so anxious about the engine temperature, I couldn't turn the bike off because the traffic was moving, really really slow but moving, 5 minutes after that bar of hypochondria turned on, I made the mistake to look on both sides of the engine, the headers where RED, I panicked, didn't want to loose my brand new bike, and wished I had a water cooled engine, and saw my wife's face after I told her i needed another bike, and sleep on the couch for the next year............................................................:death::death::death:

As soon as i got out of the tunnel, put the bike on the sidewalk, turned off and waited good 30 minutes before getting back on the saddle.

This is my first boxer engine, and the headers are in a weird place compared with my previous bikes.

You can laugh at me about that almost hart attack/stroke day, I figure out that the red color on the headers was noting else than the brake lights from the car infront of me and my headers being new and polished. :p:p

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hoshiko, while I haven't checked my owner's manual to know for certain, I would assume that there must be some sort of flashing indicator on our instrument panels to warn us when our bikes are running too hot.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just as a followup, I'm riding in stop and go highway traffic on Satan's Slab or I90/94, trying to get out of rush hour Chicago. Outside temp is 70. Temp gauge is, and stays 3 bars up until I hit 50-60 mph again.

I called the service department at Barrington Cycle Werks, and asked them what I should do. His reply was

"Nothing. It's a Boxer. It gets hot."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts