1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I just bought a new 2020 R1250R after having multiple GSs
This is my first BMW TFT dash and it was one of the reasons for the new bike.
I am having a bit of trouble though and can't find a solution by searching the ADV forum or this one.
I have my iPhone X and Sena 20S Evo paired separately to the TFT as instructed by BMW and now I can't access Siri by tapping the phone button on the back of the Sena as usual.
Is there another way to access Siri when connected to the TFT?
BTW, the bike is amazing. I am presently making the ergo's a bit better for my 6'4" size with lowered pegs and a higher seat. The luggage racks are removed and a Cyclops Led bulb for the low beam might be in the works as well as a pair of Clearwater Ericas and Billie Jr. on Mamo brackets.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have my iPhone X and Sena 20S Evo paired separately to the TFT as instructed by BMW and now I can't access Siri by tapping the phone button on the back of the Sena as usual.
Is there another way to access Siri when connected to the TFT?
I will start by disclosing that I have a Sena 20S Evo, Navigator VI and 2018 RS.

That said, I found Sena to be disappointing for their purported reputation as a premier product...unwilling to update firmware to keep pace with the changing tech being used with their product.

I suspect it’s the software of the TFT that’s limiting your options. Just as it is with my Navigator VI (Garmin). They (BMW or the party doing the code that works the TFT and providers like Garmin) just didn’t code for certain features (even though most all smartphones now have a VI assistant mode). My Sena won’t scroll forward or back when playing MP3s on the GPS, but it works as it should with other Bluetooth dongles or my iPhone 7.

Since the Sena can dual pair, see if you can pair to iPhone on phone and the bike on the GPS. This should give you functionality at the cost of manipulating your phone from the TFT. I suspect the TFT was coded for BASIC Bluetooth functionality (e.g., earbuds with phone microphone inline) and not more sophisticated systems like Sena.

You could report this up the chain to BMW and Sena...they may wish to update software to correct for these issues as it detracts from their marketing value.

Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I will try this and report back.

When you are paired up, can you get to Siri to ask her to read a text?
I might have to spend the $$ for the NavVI, ugh
Well, no help there. I was happy to be able to get the trio working together at all. I only wanted the Sena so I could receive calls without stopping and to place emergency calls. Had to do that once with a Bluetooth dongle, and the results were frustrating. I avoid using the phone when on a ride.

I don’t have the iPhone X...do any of them connect to multiple Bluetooth channels at once like the Sena? I don’t know if my Garmin app works only because the GPS pairs to the phone or if it would work if not paired.

Do not waste money on the Navigator VI...it’s junk. The TFT does the ONE THING that made the Nav system worth getting...displaying bike’s information at a glance on a larger display. I have a Garmin Zumo 660 which fits in the GPS cradle that I could have used if it wasn’t for the extra features the Navigator VI purported to offer.

I’m not sure if texts should be important to you. I figure truly important contacts would be via phone. Texts can wait for gas stops.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply, it seems as though the BMW software could use some tweaking for sure.

You wrote.... "I only wanted the Sena so I could receive calls without stopping and to place emergency calls." "I’m not sure if texts should be important to you. I figure truly important contacts would be via phone. Texts can wait for gas stops."

My feeling is that texts are a way safer way to communicate while riding than receiving phone calls. If my kids need something, or my wife needs to tell me something, they text me. With Siri, I can wait until I am out of a particularly hazardous situation to respond to a text just by asking her to read it to me. If I am on a particularly tough section of single track or downtown heading to Starbucks in heavy traffic, I don't want to be on the phone talking. I wait until all is clear and then just have Siri read the text and I can reply, Hands Free, Eeezee-Peezee.

It is also very easy to initiate a call hands free just by asking Siri place your call.
I am surprised that BMW allows you to scroll through the phone book, select a contact, and then initiate a call while underway on the bike.
The rider's eyes are certainly not on the road but rather on the screen for a pretty long time (vs a glance at a map on the Nav).

On my Indian Roadmaster, that feature is disconnected while underway for safety's sake. I can't manually input an address on the Nav on the Indian or my car's Nav as well while underway, only by voice, again for safety's sake.
This is why I find Siri (or probably google assistant on Android) so useful.

If you could try a handsfree assistant with your cell phone and the Sena, you might find it very useful. Apparently if you are connected to the BMW TFT, you can't. I hope they update the TFT to make it possible.

·
Registered
415 Posts
My feeling is that texts are a way safer way to communicate while riding than receiving phone calls. If my kids need something, or my wife needs to tell me something, they text me. With Siri, I can wait until I am out of a particularly hazardous situation to respond to a text just by asking her to read it to me. If I am on a particularly tough section of single track or downtown heading to Starbucks in heavy traffic, I don't want to be on the phone talking. I wait until all is clear and then just have Siri read the text and I can reply, Hands Free, Eeezee-Peezee.

On my Indian Roadmaster, that feature is disconnected while underway for safety's sake. I can't manually input an address on the Nav on the Indian or my car's Nav as well while underway, only by voice, again for safety's sake.
This is why I find Siri (or probably google assistant on Android) so useful.
Different strokes and all of that....

I used to let my Garmin alert me of an incoming call. If I recognized the caller, I’d pull over and call back presuming it was important. That’s happened maybe twice over several years. If I wanted to place a 911 call or something, riding or not, I learned that my Bluetooth dongle didn’t do that great a job...I was best to get the phone, but I may not be able to access the phone. My incident in 2018 had me straddling my broken RS while trying to arrange a tow over the dongle through the GPS. Phone was locked in the top case. When you have two flat tires, you can’t use deploy the side or center stand to dismount. :frown2:

I doubt the Siri function would work through the GPS because the Sena command likely isn’t accepted...just as it doesn’t respond to next track and prior track commands. I certainly would not advocate getting a GPS without first determining if it is fully compatible with smartphone features like Siri.

If you have a battery tender pigtail installed, plug it up and leave it plugged in while having the bike on and experimenting with different configuration options. If you don’t...get one. :wink2: Figure out what does and doesn’t work and which configuration you prefer. I don’t see what one would get from connecting to the TFT if the phone isn’t connected. A detractor for the TFT is that if you want to use bike-based functions for phone, music and navigation, you follow one leg from the root menu. To use a GPS, you follow the other leg. Early reviews criticized this because there was no quick way to switch from bike to Nav. You had to back up to the root menu to switch over...not a good idea when riding.

Finally, I know some here have an adapter plate that lets you mount the phone in the GPS cradle. That may be an option too.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Found this...

https://advrider.com/f/threads/r1250gs-tft-voice-command-volume-control.1354275/

I think this only applies if you've connected your phone directly to the Nav6. The recommended TFT pairing, which I've got, is:

helmet -> TFT
phone -> TFT
helmet -> Nav6 (GPS pairing)

In this configuration, the Nav6 doesn't have the ability to interact with the phone at all. To get the Nav6 to control the phone, you'd do:

helmet -> Nav6
phone -> Nav6

and the TFT wouldn't be used for phone or media. That's not what I'm going for.
Do not go running out to get the Nav VI, but if you want/have a GPS that lets you voice dial, I suspect you could access Siri that way. Does the TFT offer any voice activated functions either by the Sena or the bike controls? If so, try it and see if it gives you access. Try plain speech and preceding your request with “Hey, Siri.”

I wish I had a TFT-equipped bike so I could experiment on my end to see if there’s a work around.

I’m going to search for a TFT operator’s manual and see how it works.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the replies. I've tried everything and it just won't go.
My Sena apparently won't recognize the TFT as the first phone pairing as when I try to pair the headset to the "second phone pairing", the headset doesn't go into that mode by holding the jog dial down for 6 seconds and tapping the phone button.
I only get the "media pairing" which doesn't help at all.

When both phone and Sena are paired to the TFT, I found another crappy situation.
Favorites doesn't show up even though it IS ENABLED on my phone. The YouTube tutorials show the option to choose favorites but my TFT does not have that category.
If i want to initiate a call to my wife Sue, I need to scroll the wonder wheel to the S's, then scroll to find her name.
Way too many steps and not good at all.

I think I'll just pair the phone to the TFT to have the nav function (visually) and the info stuff on the trips recorded.
l'll pair the Sena to my phone for full functionality.
I'll keep playing with it as time goes on.
I will also check to see if the TFT has the latest software version.

Apparently the promise of BMW connectivity is unfulfilled, disappointing but not a deal breaker.

BTW I am a BMW fanboy, this is my 6th. (68 years old)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Apparently the promise of BMW connectivity is unfulfilled, disappointing but not a deal breaker.
As jazzed as I was to see the TFT and inwardly wish I waited a year or two to get an RS with one equipped, it seems much of it is not that well implemented and that dissuades me to "trade up" just to gain that function.

I would be particularly annoyed if it works perfectly with the BMW comm system they try to sell. I wonder if anyone has one who can test functionality with the TFT and iPhone.

It's the same issue with the Navigator VI...made for BMW. It's the crappiest GPS I've owned as far as quality control and reliability. BMW takes no responsibility for it and Garmin seems to not care less. They even stopped supporting functions built into the unit that I thought were useful because ... well, just because. For $1,000 USD, I expect better than that from a vendor.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is the first time I have been let down by BMW.
I needed the NavV on my 2016 GS as I couldn't see the speedo and the Nav had tons of easily viewable info about the bike. The nav part was a bonus for me.
After seeing the new TFT dash, I thought it was a great upgrade and when going to the R1250R, I was expecting full functionality as it has been out for a while now. It IS great for info, so much so that it makes the NavVI superfluous to me. I plan to use my Quadlock and Waze or Google for my Nav.
This screen is fun, my first rip around here for about an hour. I NEED A TALLER SEAT!

IMG_0169.jpeg

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is the first time I have been let down by BMW.
I needed the NavV on my 2016 GS as I couldn't see the speedo and the Nav had tons of easily viewable info about the bike. The nav part was a bonus for me.
After seeing the new TFT dash, I thought it was a great upgrade and when going to the R1250R, I was expecting full functionality as it has been out for a while now. It IS great for info, so much so that it makes the NavVI superfluous to me. I plan to use my Quadlock and Waze or Google for my Nav.
This screen is fun, my first rip around here for about an hour. I NEED A TALLER SEAT!

View attachment 107026
I have a 2020 r1250r. How did you get this screen?

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a 2020 r1250r. How did you get this screen?
From the main screen display, menu button down. Wonder wheel to the right until you see the "sport" screen, menu button down.
BTW, I don't think you get the sport screen with all the models of the R1250R. I think only the "HP" and "Exclusive" style has it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
From the main screen display, menu button down. Wonder wheel to the right until you see the "sport" screen, menu button down.
BTW, I don't think you get the sport screen with all the models of the R1250R. I think only the "HP" and "Exclusive" style has it.
Mine doesn't have it. I have “select”. The online configurator show HP as a tank cover and Exclusive as that plus a spoiler. I like that screen though. I think too much space on the TFT is devoted to the tach.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got a congrats and welcome email from BMW after purchase with a link to their facebook page for "community".
I took a chance and posted for help with the TFT connectivity, hoping that someone at BMW monitors the site.
I got a reply!
"Ask your dealer"
Oh boy........

1 - 20 of 21 Posts