BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all finally got out on my new r1250 r for a run today and I noticed that with the sun behind me at about 11 o clock to my back my tft screen was mostly unreadable , I have fitted the speedo angels screen protector and my screen turned a faint shade of red ? On moving into a neutral light ( shadow etc ) or sun moving behind a cloud etc the screen returned to it amazing normal view - has anyone experienced this ? - wasn鈥檛 what I was expecting to see at all / we tour a lot so not good at all 馃檨馃憥

Registered
No issues here either, fitted last August and never had an issue with the screen. Think it was the Nano glass version I fitted.

Registered
R1250R
I see yer keen to get out on the bike wee hayser. Mines still tucked up in the garage and plugged into the optimate. Other than the screen issue how did it go?

Roads must be a mingin though.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
No issues here either, fitted last August and never had an issue with the screen. Think it was the Nano glass version I fitted.
Same - nano glass and as we know can only be fitted one way but I could not easily read my screen , going to reach out to speedo angels and see what they say
C1FA801C-6A28-4542-A56E-5904163FD9F9.png

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I see yer keen to get out on the bike wee hayser. Mines still tucked up in the garage and plugged into the optimate. Other than the screen issue how did it go?

Roads must be a mingin though.
Yes Gareth after the recent rain / wind combo and a promising forecast for next couple of days and fed up Looking at my black beauty , was good , bike shows lots of promise and responds well all round really, roads were ok apart from wet portions which I slowed down for as much as poss - but enough to mess up the shaft drive and wheels but at least my wife鈥檚 legs were filth free lol , quick wee 15 mins lower wash and waterless clean and wax and was all good , can鈥檛 wait for it to be run in and harass the sports bikes up loch lubnaig and lochearnhead etc lol 馃槂馃憤馃弽

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Wish it had happened on motorway so I could have banged it on cruise and taken a pic of it , defo couldn鈥檛 read the screen easily and was tinged with a faint Matt red sheen , screen was cleaned with cleaning pad in the kit beforehand and was brand new bike with 7ml on clock delivered by van so no outside contaminants on screen prior to fitting - certain I鈥檝e saw this before possibly on the gs owners forum ? 馃槂馃槂

Registered
R1250R
Yes Gareth after the recent rain / wind combo and a promising forecast for next couple of days and fed up Looking at my black beauty , was good , bike shows lots of promise and responds well all round really, roads were ok apart from wet portions which I slowed down for as much as poss - but enough to mess up the shaft drive and wheels but at least my wife鈥檚 legs were filth free lol , quick wee 15 mins lower wash and waterless clean and wax and was all good , can鈥檛 wait for it to be run in and harass the sports bikes up loch lubnaig and lochearnhead etc lol 馃槂馃憤馃弽

Sounds good. Fingers crossed after that long cold spell it鈥檒l stay mild and the rest of the salt I鈥檒l get washed away. Looking forward to getting back oot on mine.

You should find it a breeze to run in. With all that torque it is no real great hardship. I had good fun running it in. A wee sports screen will help if you really wanna annoy the power-rangers. Though my puig screen is loud to say the least.

Registered
I find this inherent to ALL instrument clusters. There is always an angle where sunlight reflecting off the cluster/panel will make the detail unreadable. Had it with analog and digital gauges. I suppose it's not considered needed to have adjustable angles on clusters because the number of people always having issues is so small.

Reactions: Pale Roadster

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I find this inherent to ALL instrument clusters. There is always an angle where sunlight reflecting off the cluster/panel will make the detail unreadable. Had it with analog and digital gauges. I suppose it's not considered needed to have adjustable angles on clusters because the number of people always having issues is so small.
Yes I had thought of that plus the sun in Scotland at this time of year is A very rare and B very weak 馃槂 I will persevere with it just now though

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds good. Fingers crossed after that long cold spell it鈥檒l stay mild and the rest of the salt I鈥檒l get washed away. Looking forward to getting back oot on mine.

You should find it a breeze to run in. With all that torque it is no real great hardship. I had good fun running it in. A wee sports screen will help if you really wanna annoy the power-rangers. Though my puig screen is loud to say the least.
Yes have had a gs 1200 lc so very similar in grunt but less of it than the 1250 - unbelievably flexible for its displacement . Well I was thinking of getting the push screen , I鈥檓 about 5ft 6 in height and wife is about 5 fit so do you think the push screen would be suitable or be better with the bmw sports screen ?

Registered
R1250R
Yes have had a gs 1200 lc so very similar in grunt but less of it than the 1250 - unbelievably flexible for its displacement . Well I was thinking of getting the push screen , I鈥檓 about 5ft 6 in height and wife is about 5 fit so do you think the push screen would be suitable or be better with the bmw sports screen ?
Push screen? You mean Puig screen?

I found the wind bast a bit too much. So, went for the Puig sports screen. It is a bit bigger than the BMW sports screen and I like the look of it 鈥 went for solid black, plus it is as cheap as chips compared to the BMW item.

It works a treat in terms of lifting that wind blast off your chest. But the downside is I find it loud as foc. I just stick the ear plugs in and accept that it generates noise. I think wearing an Arai hat doesn鈥檛 help noise wise (those stupid side pods)

Registered
I fitted the puig screen also, but I put the BMW screen back on. Like Gareth said, it takes the blast off the chest but I found the noise at helmet level increased (Shark helmet with earplugs). I think that the wind over my Givi handguards was mixing with the new screen and causing the airflow to mix and basically cause "dirty air" at ear level. I am 5'8 and I suppose it would be different for every individual. 20201016_173400.jpg 20201010_110204.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
I fitted the puig screen also, but I put the BMW screen back on. Like Gareth said, it takes the blast off the chest but I found the noise at helmet level increased (Shark helmet with earplugs). I think that the wind over my Givi handguards was mixing with the new screen and causing the airflow to mix and basically cause "dirty air" at ear level. I am 5'8 and I suppose it would be different for every individual. View attachment 110314 View attachment 110315
I take it that is the bmw touring screen u have on as opposed to the sports screen , well my last bike was a f800 gt and that always seemed to have a wind blast around helmet level anyway but the wind pressure off the chest would defo be welcome especially combined with the strong shiftcam engine torque , only question is which one lol

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Push screen? You mean Puig screen?

I found the wind bast a bit too much. So, went for the Puig sports screen. It is a bit bigger than the BMW sports screen and I like the look of it 鈥 went for solid black, plus it is as cheap as chips compared to the BMW item.

It works a treat in terms of lifting that wind blast off your chest. But the downside is I find it loud as foc. I just stick the ear plugs in and accept that it generates noise. I think wearing an Arai hat doesn鈥檛 help noise wise (those stupid side pods)
How much bigger would you say the puisne screen is compared to bmw one then Gareth ? . Yes arai lids always have wind noise problems

Registered
It is the sport screen that is back on. I had a 800GT before the 1250 but the wind noise with the Puig screen was a lot louder. The Puig screen is 455mm in height about 290mm higher when fitted apparently.

Registered
The smaller Puig sport screen is about 100mm smaller than the one I fitted.

Registered
R1250R
Ha ha I鈥檒l get the puig right yet - damn that predictive I phone thingy
Don鈥檛 worry about it bud. I can鈥檛 be bothered trying to post stuff via a mobile phone, too fiddly fae me, I still use my PC for lots of stuff.

See AlbaVic鈥檚 photo of the BMW sport screen. I鈥檒l post some snaps of my bike with the Puig screen.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts