BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be a spate of tft theft mainly from the rs1250 in the UK. It seems to be 3 clips and a connector holding it in place. Please be aware how easy it is to steal when leaving your bike for sometime....I hope bmw address this asap as it's around £1200 to replace...

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've heard reports of it happening in NY, NY to GS's also.

·
Registered
R1250R
303 Posts
I'm thinking, what the heck do they do with it?

Then, why are BMW charging 1200 quid for a replacement?

·
Registered
266 Posts
If I understand it correctly, once removed from the housing, the TFT display itself is a very useful RGB display that is an expensive component to purchase separately... Hence the 1200 quid...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm wondering if there is a way to make it secure some how ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
See link, these guys appear to have a fix ready for order which incorporates a visor. Mentioms GS but I am sure it should be the same for the R also.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Actually perhaps not, looks like it connects to the GS sat nav bracket. Might be worth a quick query. More cost effective to work out a fit for the more popular bike.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Satnav or Windshield bracket. Which now makes no sense, as the newer TFT's are supposed to make the satnav obsolete... Do the current 1250R's still offer satnav?

Edit. Still uses SatNav...

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
5,684 Posts
makes no sense, as the newer TFT's are supposed to make the satnav obsolete...
Having both provides more screen real estate - so you can navigate and watch Netflix concurrently.

Reactions: Beaky61

·
Registered
199 Posts
Great. Hopefully there'll be a design-friendly, attractive solution for the R that'll be available by next summer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was hoping that the R is fitted in a more secure way than the RS or GS. But I have no way to tell?

·
Registered
134 Posts
There is a report on the F900XR forum of one being stolen so it seems like they are all fitted in the same way.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Too bad they aren't coded to the bike so you couldn't just move one over without a visit to BMW (can't believe I'm saying this), but if it is going to be easy to remove and steal, BMW should have made it more theft-resistant.

·
Registered
R1250R
303 Posts
If I understand it correctly, once removed from the housing, the TFT display itself is a very useful RGB display that is an expensive component to purchase separately... Hence the 1200 quid...

I still don’t get it. I mean it is just a display intended for a motorcycle. A tablet or other such device is better in every respect at everything in terms of general use.

Maybe they just steal em cos they can?

And the 1200 quid is just BMW ripping off its customers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Reply I got from CYMARC,
Thank you for your inquiry. At this time we have several requests for braces for various BMW models and even some non BMW models. We can't honestly say we will be able to develop braces for all of them (indeed some of them, by design, may prohibit the installation of a brace) but those of which we will be able to take a look at once we have the bike to design one for (or not) we will indeed design and produce braces for.

The R1250R is a model we have been asked multiple times about, so it is on our radar. We will try to get hold of a bike to do our development on when we can. All updates and notifications will be put on our FaceBook page, so I would suggest if you don't already follow us to please do so.

You never know, if they get enough requests it might speed up the design process? ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just had a reply from Cymarc to say that they have had multiple enquiries about a protector for the R1250R so it is definitely on their radar. Whether or not is is technically feasible is another matter but any developments for this bike and others will appear on their Facebook page.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Anyone know where they are located, and have a 1250 to offer them?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just chatted to another victim here in south London on a GS.

If they‘d damaged the loom then it would have been an additional £1k to replace. He got away with just paying £1,200 not including the Cymarc item.

He was in for a tyre change having bought a scoot which is the daily alternative for riding in town.

Cymarc are currently looking for a donor bike to fettle an R1200/50 version.

So any forum members or lurkers in NE England, please do your duty!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts