·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,105 Posts
Curiously, the assembly is made in Portugal

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Hi Jack I bought a mixed size pack from ebay about £6 the item number was 313108838695

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Jack I bought a mixed size pack from ebay about £6 the item number was 313108838695
Thanks mate! I will get that ordered.

I think you’ve come up with a good idea there and this will make it much more difficult to simply rip the TFT off the bike, but when one sees how insecure the BMW design is it’s very disappointing...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Beaky,

I’ve got my washers in and have removed the cowl to expose the prongs.

It’s clear that the fixing method used here by BMW is an absolute joke. The TFT unit can simply be ripped off the bike with enough force. They have given no thought to security at all, and once the word gets out there on the street no BMW TFT unit will be safe, as they are all fitted in the same way.

Any tips as to how to get the washer on nice and straight and into the groove without causing too much damage? I was thinking of using a socket of matching diameter and hammering it on, but not sure I can hold the unit strongly enough in place to resist the hammering force...

Jack

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
That is the way I managed to fit the washers, I used the largest socket I could wich allows the washer to flex enough to move along the spigot. Just for my peace of mind I also replaced the torx screws that hold the bracket in place with security torx replacements.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
273 Posts
Having never been in the BMW ecosystem until this year, a question for those who’ve been customers of the brand for a while: Does this obvious and verifiable security problem seem like one that would prompt BMW corporate to issue a recall in order to better secure the TFT units? How proactive and responsive do they typically seem to be?

·
Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
1,703 Posts
Hi Beaky,

I’ve got my washers in and have removed the cowl to expose the prongs.

It’s clear that the fixing method used here by BMW is an absolute joke. The TFT unit can simply be ripped off the bike with enough force. They have given no thought to security at all, and once the word gets out there on the street no BMW TFT unit will be safe, as they are all fitted in the same way.

Any tips as to how to get the washer on nice and straight and into the groove without causing too much damage? I was thinking of using a socket of matching diameter and hammering it on, but not sure I can hold the unit strongly enough in place to resist the hammering force...

Jack
I wouldn't use a hammer, it should just push on with a bit of effort.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Yes i agree, I used the screwdriver attachment with the socket and pushed/rotated it on.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Done! A massive thanks to Beaky for his advice!

I would strongly advise anybody who regularly leaves his or her TFT-equipped BMW parked up in an urban area to be aware of how vulnerable the TFT is to theft. One or two strong pulls on the thing from the front and it’s off - no need for any tools or dismantling!!

Attachments

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,105 Posts
Do you also need to add a sticker ‘Theft Protected’ to deter attempts?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Do you also need to add a sticker ‘Theft Protected’ to deter attempts?
Yes, might be worth doing that because using the starlock clips is a hidden method of protection and a thief will still try to rip it off.

I park mine up in a busy part of London every day so I’m at high risk, and if an anti-theft bracket comes out for the R1250R I’ll fit that so they don’t bother trying.

BMW could so easily have threaded the three prongs at the rear of the TFT and fitted them with locking nuts to hold it on - this design is so badly thought out. It’s a shame that the design of a motorcycle needs to take into account the behaviour of people with bad intentions but unfortunately that’s how things are and in my opinion BMW have let buyers of their machines with these TFT screens down badly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have started taking my bike cover in my top box if I am parking in town. I know it is not much but it just means any would be thief does not see it straight away. I have also called BWM and advised that I want it registered that I have called about the TFT lack of security just in case my screen goes walkies. Highlighted to them that this should be a recall issue.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I'm wondering if there is a way to make it secure some how ?
Motion-Sensor Alarm, like 120db. Blast them!

Where I live, thieves are thick, and getting more bold as the pandemic grinds on, if it's welded to the bike, they steal the bike, if the bike is in your garage, they break in and take it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I dont have a TFT screen as my R is a 1200LC. But looking at the pics of the Star Clip fix, would it be possible to drill each mounting stud to put a 1 or 1.5mm R-Clip after the Star Clip or even instead of the Star.
Belt and Braces.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
407 Posts
The time has come

Let's get serious about security, SUX6000 serious.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Looking at this issue, and following on from Fazerboy's thoughts on threading each hole in the 3x prongs, I respectfully offer these potential mods to hopefully make it much more difficult to remove the TFT displays...

a) would/could it be possible to fabricate a sturdy triangulated bracket mounted onto those 3x prongs that have been tapped with a thread to accept 3x security Torx headed screws? Would there be any benefit if the bracket also neatly (and closely) covered the back of the large electrical connector preventing it from being removed?

But even so, if those 3x prongs on the display case are just made of a brittle plastic, maybe a good heave on the display by the scrote nicking your display could still easily (and quickly) break the flimsy tips off the 3x plastic prongs off the TFT case in one go and then the snot-gobbling scumbag is immediately on their way.

b) using a stainless steel cable tie, tie the wiring harness for the connector to this new security bracket. Here's the kind of cable tie I am thinking of, but you'd obviously need a smaller one.

d) if the fins shown on the back of the TFT display (ie; those to the right of the top mounting lug in Beaky61's image near the bottom of page 2) could be slotted longitudinally, thereby allowing another metal cable tie to be used to secure the back of the TFT display case to the sturdy cast alloy bracket, this would give a second method of securing the TFT display to the cast bracket in addition to the OEM 3x plastic prongs.

I assume there's a metal cover that screws into the 5x threaded holes in the casting? Did those who have been unlucky enough to be a victim of this theft discover the cover had been removed or was the display just wrenched off the bracket with a good heave and everything else left intact? Probably worth putting the security torx screws on the cover anyway???

This is clearly a huge 'OSINTOT' oversight by BMW (OSINTOT = Oh ****, I Never Thought Of That) and needs to be remedied. All said and done, it is just an engineering problem that needs to be solved.

In this day and age of smart electronic security technology, it is simply unconscionable that an enthusiastic 3-second heave on an instrument panel by the scrote immediately makes the owner liable for >$1-2K of replacement and repair bill. Come on BMW, you're better than this!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Did those who have been unlucky enough to be a victim of this theft discover the cover had been removed or was the display just wrenched off the bracket with a good heave and everything else left intact? Probably worth putting the security torx screws on the cover anyway???
Unfortunately the TFT screen can simply be ripped off its mountings without removing anything else. The little clips securing the prongs are very small and flimsy and with a decent amount of force will bend and distort and then pull the rubber o-rings through the holes in the bracket. The screen is thus removed from the bracket and only attached to the bike by its electrical cable.

The TFT has been fitted without any thought as to security. The well-meaning folks at BMW probably didn’t consider that thieves would bother stealing a dumb screen.

With star washers fitted, the washers will press tightly against the rubber o-rings if the screen is tugged and this prevents the o-rings from being pulled through the holes. Furthermore, the star washers themselves are much more sturdy than the BMW clips.

This solution is better than nothing but BMW certainly could have designed the screen and its bracket to be much more secure.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thks for reply Fazerboy. This begs the question of whether or not a bracket joining all 3x TFT display case lugs and secured by torx head screws using threads tapped into the end of each mounting lug would actually add any benefit?

On the bright side, the fact you say the whole mounting rubber and (I assume) the OEM washer come out of the cast bracket still attached to the TFT display mounting lugs (only the hastily departing scrote could tell us that) suggests to me those 3x TFT display mounting lugs might in fact be fairly strong. At least a bracket mounted across all three would make it somewhat more difficult than it is presently using the OEM 'securing' method??

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thks for reply Fazerboy. This begs the question of whether or not a bracket joining all 3x TFT display case lugs and secured by torx head screws using threads tapped into the end of each mounting lug would actually add any benefit?

On the bright side, the fact you say the whole mounting rubber and (I assume) the OEM washer come out of the cast bracket still attached to the TFT display mounting lugs (only the hastily departing scrote could tell us that) suggests to me those 3x TFT display mounting lugs might in fact be fairly strong. At least a bracket mounted across all three would make it somewhat more difficult than it is presently using the OEM 'securing' method??
Yes, that does sound like a potentially good solution.

The anti-theft brackets that are being made for GSs (which are fitted with exactly the same TFT screen) are bolted to the bike using the many available locations on that bike, but because the R1250R is a naked bike it will be difficult to design an external security bracket as it has nowhere to be mounted to.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts