BMW R1200R Forum banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
407 Posts
Yes, that does sound like a potentially good solution.

The anti-theft brackets that are being made for GSs (which are fitted with exactly the same TFT screen) are bolted to the bike using the many available locations on that bike, but because the R1250R is a naked bike it will be difficult to design an external security bracket as it has nowhere to be mounted to.
Simple enough to make a handlebar clamp and attach a mounting bracket to that. It need do nothing to support anything, it just needs to be a mooring point for a bracket that interferes with removal of the screen.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The simplest, lowest tech idea might be simply to use a top-of-the-bike-only cover, on the basis of out of sight, out of mind.

So far, I've never had an issue doing that, but in most of the places I go these days motorcycle theft is relatively rare; certainly, across the Pond it's a different deal, with bike theft being a hugely serious problem.

JtL

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have started taking my bike cover in my top box if I am parking in town. I know it is not much but it just means any would be thief does not see it straight away. I have also called BWM and advised that I want it registered that I have called about the TFT lack of security just in case my screen goes walkies. Highlighted to them that this should be a recall issue.
I think that is a good idea. maybe we should all do this and it may push BMW towards a resolve?

·
2,929 Posts
Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
56 Posts
Saw this advertised on eBay UK today. R1250R TFT screen. £550 ono.

Pic 2 shows this...

I wonder how those lugs got broken.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So after having mine stolen and then spending another £1250 getting a new one, I carefully drilled out an M4 sized hole down the centre of the three screen posts. (where the previous clips were held on). Then tapped those holes for the M4 screws. Used larger washers and loctite'd those screws in. I then used the Cymarc anti theft bracket on top as a basic theft distraction. Even if they get through the bracket they would still have to crowbar the screen out.

For those interested in securing the screen this way the posts are made of compesite metal and can be easily drilled with a stable drill press. Be carefully not to go too deep for obvious reasons. But it worked really well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
So after having mine stolen and then spending another £1250 getting a new one, I carefully drilled out an M4 sized hole down the centre of the three screen posts. (where the previous clips were held on). Then tapped those holes for the M4 screws. Used larger washers and loctite'd those screws in. I then used the Cymarc anti theft bracket on top as a basic theft distraction. Even if they get through the bracket they would still have to crowbar the screen out.

For those interested in securing the screen this way the posts are made of compesite metal and can be easily drilled with a stable drill press. Be carefully not to go too deep for obvious reasons. But it worked really well.
Good work! Which Cymarc anti theft bracket did you get to work? They don't list one for the R1250R as far as I can see.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Saw this advertised on eBay UK today. R1250R TFT screen. £550 ono.

Pic 2 shows this...

I wonder how those lugs got broken.
Either that or has been in an accident. Without those lugs the unit is pretty much a write off. Not sure who will risk buying it at that price.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
52 Posts
After realizing how easy it is to rip the TFT off, I took a look and came up with this. I filed the clip slots a little wider so my safety wire would engage the slot better. Then I just wired the three posts together. Pretty easy to do...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Loving all of the clever ideas resolving the issue. Once you discover these posts are metal there are all sorts of solutions. Good job.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Loving all of the clever ideas resolving the issue. Once you discover these posts are metal there are all sorts of solutions. Good job.
I have used starlock washers on mine - much better than the OEM clips.

The posts look and feel like plastic to me. Are they metal covered in plastic?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wasn't sure what metal but thought they were some sort of composite metal when I drilled down into them to create the tapped M4 threading.

·
Registered
56 Posts
After realizing how easy it is to rip the TFT off, I took a look and came up with this. I filed the clip slots a little wider so my safety wire would engage the slot better. Then I just wired the three posts together. Pretty easy to do...

View attachment 110879
Neat idea

My only concern about this type of solution is that the criminal x!#@ who tries to pull off your TFT could break the aluminium (aluminum ) posts, thus rendering the unit useless. Is that possible?

61 - 80 of 92 Posts