BMW R1200R Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
52 Posts
Thanks!! I'm sure that's possible.

The harder you pull the more the wire bites into the groove. And if they get one post free they have the other two to contend with. So I'm hopeful that if there ever is an attempt to rip me off, they'll find that it won't pull out so easily and move on to some other illegal endeavor.

I'm also thinking of some kind of brace or bracket to put on the outside of the frame. There's a manufacturer out there but they don't make one for my bike yet.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks!! I'm sure that's possible.

The harder you pull the more the wire bites into the groove. And if they get one post free they have the other two to contend with. So I'm hopeful that if there ever is an attempt to rip me off, they'll find that it won't pull out so easily and move on to some other illegal endeavor.

I'm also thinking of some kind of brace or bracket to put on the outside of the frame. There's a manufacturer out there but they don't make one for my bike yet.
Thanks for that description. It sounds good to me. Hopefully you'll never suffer such an attempted theft anyway.

Like you, I'm also waiting for a bracket solution for the bike.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
52 Posts
To hopefully further prevent an attempt on the theft of my TFT, I came up with a temporary bracket to hopefully thwart any bad intentions..

I'll clean it up and paint it to at least make it somewhat presentable. At least until a permanent solution becomes available.

·
Registered
56 Posts
To hopefully further prevent an attempt on the theft of my TFT, I came up with a temporary bracket to hopefully thwart any bad intentions..

I'll clean it up and paint it to at least make it somewhat presentable. At least until a permanent solution becomes available.

View attachment 110891

View attachment 110892
Good effort. Certainly better than the total lack of security BMW came up with!

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
52 Posts
It'll look crappy but will def help. I'll probably only put it on when I know it'll be parked for while..

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
407 Posts
Neat idea

My only concern about this type of solution is that the criminal x!#@ who tries to pull off your TFT could break the aluminium (aluminum ) posts, thus rendering the unit useless. Is that possible?
If the #%[email protected] is going to steal it I'd prefer to at least know he won't enjoy it. I'm mean like that.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Nice work. Check out sticky-backed craft felt/velour to line the side facing the TFT. I used it in making a jewelry box for the missus recently. Easy to cut and sticks well.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
52 Posts
I didn't like the way the bracket was turning out. I'm going to nix that idea for now.

I thought about my original idea and the key I think is having the wire wrapped tightly around the posts. My 1st attempt it was a little loose. I went back and opened up the slots more so I could pull the wire "inside" more...

I used a half round file and kept the flat side up.

Then I tried to pull the wire tight into the slots. It might not work but better than nothing.. cheers

·
Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
1,703 Posts
Just seen this from the nippy norman site, they sell these now.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
273 Posts
For those who have been in the BMW world much longer than my measly one year, and have had experience seeing how BMW corporate reacts to widespread(ish) customer complaints, does this clear problem / manufacturing goof seem like something customer service will step up to and issue a recall or goodwill fix, or, since it's not directly related to safety and liability, do they typically just weather the storm and ignore the complaints?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just seen this from the nippy norman site, they sell these now.

They don't make them for the R1250R yet. I emailed Mark, the proprietor of Cymarc which makes them. He said they're currently working on one for the new RT version of the TFT and would do an R version in the future:

"Sorry, I don’t yet do one for the R1250R. I’m currently working on the big screen 2022 RT And if I can get hold of a bike after that I’ll look to design one for the R1250R."

81 - 92 of 92 Posts