BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Has that ever been known to happen on the 12r's?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apologies, that photo above is indeed from an R12R. More details in that Redwing hyperlink above, which points to an r1150r.org thread. Here's the ring on my bike.

If you motor in a lot of rain, the rubber ring is good insurance against rust.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
I remember when I was researchin the R1200R that someone on a forum mentioned a problem he had with the moisture accumulating and causing rust. He also used the ring from that you show there. Never saw it brought up again on any forum so I never worried about it again. So, +1 on drDave's question...

·
Registered
250 Posts
I found a small amount of rust inside that area on my tank. I ordered the above part and it took me 2 minutes to install. Piece of cake, and peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Sigh, I knew this would happen. . .put the 3 dollar ring in the shopping cart at A&S BMW. . .then well, one of those magnety things to trigger traffic lights wouldn't hurt, a few polished caps for the swingarm, always wanted those. . a set of helmet speakers. . . can't believe I don't have those. .

so I'm paying 160 dollars for that 3 dollar gas cap ring. . . F-word.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dave, the farkle never ends. :001_smile:

Well put on peace of mind. That's what it was about for me. That the fix costs less than a cup of coffee was icing. If you can remove a wind screen, you can add the fuel gasket. Requires only a torx driver.

For the riders with 2011 or later models, of particular concern, at least to some of the forum elders at the other site, is that BMW did not paint the metal under the orange filler tube on those bikes. It's just raw steel. On the '07-'10 models, it's coated, but even with that additional layer, it will rust with enough rain and/or washings. It's an uncharacteristically boneheaded move by Motorrad.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Web, good to know and thanks for the great tip! I can handle a Torx. Together, we are clearly The Experts on our R's. . .or something like that :)

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Sigh, I knew this would happen. . .put the 3 dollar ring in the shopping cart at A&S BMW. . .then well, one of those magnety things to trigger traffic lights wouldn't hurt, a few polished caps for the swingarm, always wanted those. . a set of helmet speakers. . . can't believe I don't have those. .

so I'm paying 160 dollars for that 3 dollar gas cap ring. . . F-word.
atractaspis said something pretty important that you need to consider, just substitute fender for any other farkle and you are set.

Math.. Always helpful for important decisions.. And if I substract the money for the fender from the total of all the money I would need for all of the accessories I want then the total amount will go down too.. So I will need less money after that to buy everything I want!

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
So I was buying this gasket (ABDECKRING TANKDECKEL)
, and turns out it's a $2.50 usd but the shipping is $9.50. I'll wait and buy it with the stealership.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
atractaspis said something pretty important that you need to consider, just substitute fender for any other farkle and you are set.
Atractaspis always has my complete attention....maybe not for the right reasons but....:devil:

·
Registered
250 Posts
So I was buying this gasket (ABDECKRING TANKDECKEL)
, and turns out it's a $2.50 usd but the shipping is $9.50. I'll wait and buy it with the stealership.
That's what I did, they ordered it for me charged me about three fiddy all told.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
... Together, we are clearly The Experts on our R's. . .or something like that :)
... or something like that. ;) The R12R is my first motorcycle.

Can anyone post a part number I can use in UK for this
Please see post 1 for the part number. The gasket is off an S1000RR and does not appear in the R1200R parts fiche.

·
Registered
48 Posts
... or something like that. ;) The R12R is my first motorcycle.

Please see post 1 for the part number. The gasket is off an S1000RR and does not appear in the R1200R parts fiche.
Not havin a good day did try entering this part number but to no avail think I've ended up ordering it from your end of the pond lol.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Installed the $3 ABDECKRING today.

Pretty straight forward procedure. Wanted to see below the red fill tube to check for any rust.

Found none. Looks OK. That's a relief! Anti-rust paint needed.

$3 peace of mind.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The rubber gasket, off the S1000RR, fits on the R1200R and helps keep out moisture from under your fuel cap.

It's part 5 (PN 16117681038) here:

photo by Redwing.
I looked for this diagram on the S1000RR and couldn't find the above diagram. I did a search on the above part number, is this the part?
ABDECKRING TANKDECKEL

Thanks.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, ABDECKRING is the part. Looks like the source of the image address I posted changed. Here's another image source from realoem. Part 5 -- it's a circular rubber gasket

1 - 20 of 49 Posts