BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got one. My ridings skills are not declining nearly as fast as car drivers are getting stupider.

Do I feel safer? A little. Maybe a little might be enough one day. I feel like I'm heading to a construction site, though. I'll get used to it. Can you see me now?

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
For visibility I bought the BMW Airshell, a white helmet and added amber LEDs to the forks on my white bike, a color not at the top of my list, but one that came with a great deal. One of the surprising consequences of this conspicuous set-up is that other drivers think I'm a police officer. In a motorcade town like D.C., I can't say I blame them, but it took me a while to put together. I can't tell you the number of times I've pulled up behind a car in D.C., and the driver unexpectedly slows down. Once, when I rolled up to a car at a stoplight, I watched as the driver very slowly and very casually put on his seat belt. That's when the light bulb went on.

All I care is that they see me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It all helps but best thing of all in my humble opinion is more training do some advance course aswell.

·
Registered
118 Posts
As a member of the Navy, I'm required to wear one at all times on base, but I still wear it all the time when I'm not on base. yeah, I may not "look" the coolest, but I'd rather be seen and ride another day. I've the ICON military approved neon green one.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
One of our State jurisdictions here is reputedly considering making these mandatory, same as helmets. Can't argue too much - but they are also considering bringing back the fore-and-aft mounted vertical pedestrian-slicer number plates!

One step forward...

L of S

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Yup. Got one of these HI-VIZ jackets. LED accent lights can add a lot.

Bright color and reflective patches are a great start, but not enough.
Enhanced rider skills, defensive driver mindset, and ATGATT.
That's what it takes to survive among the cagers.
My buddy likes the Hit-Air vest.

OMG!!! Hoshiko, Someone has vandalized my bike!!!:cursing:

·
Registered
5,103 Posts

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
As a member of the Navy, I'm required to wear one at all times on base, but I still wear it all the time when I'm not on base. yeah, I may not "look" the coolest, but I'd rather be seen and ride another day. I've the ICON military approved neon green one.
I think the DoN instruction leaves it up to individual bases, because in the SE region (Kings Bay, NAS Jacksonville, and Mayport), we don't have to wear reflective/high visibility anything (even at night). As long as it's either a long-sleeved shirt or jacket, you're okay on base here.

Don't get me wrong, my riding jacket is a white Firstgear model with reflective stuff on the jacket, but just wanted to point out that it varies from base to base.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Similar to Web's story, I found that when I switched to Hi-Viz gear (Hong-Kong Cop Jacket and Burn Your Retinas Orange Helmet, I get a lot more space around me from cars. All that POW! ZAP! BAM! Batman gear makes your presence on the road bigger than it would be otherwise IMHO. . . :) Especially important since Deutche-Camouflage Paint Company merged with BMW to produce their current range of invisacolors.

·
Registered
250 Posts
OK, goddit - never heard of Urban Dictionary before! Could be useful.

But I do hope we're not now going to converse with each other in acronyms, IMHO!

L of S
Urban Dictionary is where I go whenever I hear a word/expression/acronym I'm unfamiliar with. It's a goldmine, IMO, but YMMV ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Here in San Diego, we have to wear the vest and all other gear. We've had a lot of riders go down lately. So the CO made it mandatory.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Here in San Diego, we have to wear the vest and all other gear. We've had a lot of riders go down lately. So the CO made it mandatory.
Sounds like the typical "punish the many for the stupidity of the few" bullshit. I feel for you man.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Especially important since Deutsche-Camouflage Paint Company merged with BMW to produce their current range of invisacolors.
I like this! :clap:

L of S

·
Registered
58 Posts
That's part of why I opted for the red R1200R and why I stick with colored jackets, I'm trying to stick with red to go with the bike, but I've still had cars pull up right next to me in the merge lane and then look at me with that "where did YOU come from!" look. "Hi, I was here before you jack-ass, thanks for not running me over though."

Those Spectrum vests look pretty nice, thanks for sharing!! It's hard to put a price on some easy protection like a reflective vest though, so I may look into it myself. Sometimes I feel better realizing that though I may not be the most stylish, at least I'm seen and that hels keeps me alive!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts