BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The R12R is not a usable bike without some kind of wind protection. Realizing this after getting the stuffing kicked out of me on 101N with southbound winds, I bought the BWM sport windscreen. It arrived today so I grabbed two beers and set to work.

First problem - no instructions. That's okay. I'm an engineer. This should be a 20 minute job. 20 minutes later I found a parts diagram to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Got the bracket installed.

And then i tried to put the original plastic piece on to cover up the wiring. 15 minutes of Jenga later, that **** doesn't work. I tried everything I could think of to get that thing back on with no luck.

Alright. Let's say I'm fine with the wiring showing behind my clear windscreen. I'm not, but for science we can assume that for the time being. I tried to put the clear windscreen onto the bracket.

The holes of the bracket and the holes of the screen don't line up. Unless I bust out a heat gun and get creative, it's not going to come together. Even if I was able to get the original plastic in place, I still couldn't mount the screen.

Has anyone else tried to install this overpriced crap? I'm hoping this is an anomaly because the look is exactly what I want, but the quality is horrible.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
The R12R is not a usable bike without some kind of wind protection.
I'm bleeding for you, Sugarcrook! The OE Sports Screen is, as I have written before, the size of a thumb-nail and about as useful when it comes to offering any real protection to the rider. It looks pretty sharp, and does a wonderful job of keeping bugs off the front of the two instrument housings, but after that...

The design of the brackets has apparently changed marginally over time. I recently ordered an after-market semi-touring screen (about 70mm or 3" taller than the Sport Screen, and bit wider) here in Oz (for $187) and asked for it to be supplied undrilled after the supplier told me he couldn't guarantee the holes would line up with the threaded inserts in the bracket.

FYI (tho' being an engineer I'm sure you know this) ordinary handyman/ DIY drills are unsuited to drilling the extremely shatter- and crack-prone screen material - so I bought a $10 set of 'step-drills' for the purpose - never seen them before but they did a great job.

Your best option might be to try to get the screen replaced with the correct one for the particular type of bracket on your bike or get your money back - never easy I know, but...

I'm afraid I cannot help with the issue of the non-refittable cover as I've never had it off - and won't even try given your experience!

Good luck...

L of S

outer Brisbane, SE Queensland, Australia

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I'm taking it back today to get my money back. Time to start looking for alternatives.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Ztechnik might be a good compromise.. (not too big, not too small).. I'm 5'10" on a low suspension/low seat version, and works great for me even at 75 mph. See link below. Also, comes in clear - although not sure that's available in the short version shown. It's about $400.

ps. if image doesn't show, go to photo gallery, it's posted under in my metallic beige (bronzo-lucidato) bike photos...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Its not in the instructions but you have to drop the headlight, install the wind screen and replace headlight. ALternatively, just leave of the two bottom screws andmount with the upper bolts on side. Its what I did and once you bolt it in it has nowhere to go. But you're right its not much protection. Here in Hawaii, though, it sort of acts like air conditioing not wind protection.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Windscreen for R1200R

I too am an engineer and as such I follow a couple of rules pretty strictly while working on my R1200R.

Rule # 1... No beer while ever working on my bike.
Rule # 2... If I bring a beer or two out to the garage to work on my bike first return them to the refrigerator.

I installed a Cee Bailey 21" touring screen on my R1200R a few weeks ago. Taking my time it took no more than 30 minutes. No wires to mess with or anything like that. I'm 5'8" with a 29" inseam and this windscreen is fantastic. Minor buffeting around the helmet but nothing that's really bothersome. It's so much better than the dinky sport windscreen.

Good luck with your install. Best thing I ever did was to put a real windscreen on.

·
Registered
800 Posts
mine was worse. they sent me the 2011 bracket for a 2012 bike. The design changed. Then I traded that one for the correct one and used 2011 instructions to install the 2012 bracket. 1st (wrong) bracket came with instructions. 2nd (correct) bracket came without instructions. I "engineered" it and made it work, but it would have been a lot easier if I'd had the correct set of instructions... very happy with the windscreen, though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I managed to obtain the instructions and going to give it another shot tomorrow. However, this has gone from a beer task to a whiskey task.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Whisky task

I managed to obtain the instructions and going to give it another shot tomorrow. However, this has gone from a beer task to a whiskey task.
Hmm?
I usually take a whisky as a tranquilizer before changing something on my computers, like adding a new application.
If ( I mean when ;) ) I get the R12R I dream of I must find an alternative way to calm down and build up faith before adding things to it as I would probably want go for a ride and try it.
I now remember how I struggled to install a Windjammer fairing to my R75/6. Closest I've been to a date with nurse Ratched :)

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
+3 on the Ztechnik. Mine went on today.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright, with the instructions it was a breeze. The headlight has to come off in order to correctly mount the bottom of the bracket. Getting the holes on the screen to line up required a little pressure but eventually I got everything together. Going to take her for a ride tomorrow to see how much improvement the windscreen provides.

Thanks for the comments and feedback.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hmmm. Someone forgot to tell me that my bike that I have been enjoying for 400+ mile days without any windscreen at all is apparently unusable without a windscreen. Now I'm sad.

:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Valid point. It's only unusable at >60mph going into a strong headwind. I got beat to **** over 130 miles on 101.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Does the stretch of 101 between Ukiah and San Francisco count as 101? I was doing between 80-85mph pretty much the entire way after taking Hwy 1 from Stinson Beach up to Fort Bragg. Since it was raining a decent part of the day I would imagine I must have encountered various headwinds, crosswinds and other mini-hurricanes during that ride, as well as during many others, and still my bike seemed usable to me. In fact, I removed the OEM windshield that was on the bike when I bought it. All it did was create annoying buffeting. Minus the shield I get a smooth flow of clean, quiet air.

I don't know. I must have missed the memo.

·
Registered
168 Posts
windscreen

the touring screen that i put on the R when i bought it has proven to be just enough protection without ruining the look of the bike. anything bigger, you may as well get an RT :devil:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts