BMW R1200R Forum banner

"The Wave"

23K views 73 replies 40 participants last post by  moto-rama 
#1 ·
I'm posting this thread in this category because I feel it falls under "rider techniques."

Anyway, as I was riding into work this morning, and I passed several other riders, we gave each other "the wave." I started thinking, here in the United States, where we drive on the right (wrong) side of the road, we wave at each other with our left hands, since those are the hands that are closest to each other.

My question is: how do riders in countries that ride on the left side of the road do the wave? It doesn't make sense to use the right hand, since that's the throttle hand. Do you wave across the body, stick your hand straight up in the air, or just not bother with the wave?

Inquiring minds want to know! :)

#2 ·
Funny you should mention it... on my morning commute, I am typically splitting lanes between the left-most car pool lane and the second lane from the left.

If a car to my left moves over noticably to give me room, I like to give a thumbs-up as I pass. However, cars to my right also move over sometimes.

Can't really do the same to the right...

#3 ·
I've been riding 40 something years, I'm tired of the wave. I'm weaning myself off the wave. It's hard to do, find I just have to not look at the other rider. I want to look, to see what they are riding, but if I look, I feel guilty if I don't wave. Can't we all just have an understanding that riding is great, and not wave? After many disappointing hitchhiker experiences, I learned how to not look at them also, while driving car. It was tough at first, but now I'm strong!

#9 ·
I've been riding 40 something years, I'm tired of the wave. I'm weaning myself off the wave. It's hard to do, find I just have to not look at the other rider. !
Oh :mob: its not as if a wave is hard to do, dude, what about a nod of the head, or a lift of the chin, for something different :001_smile:

Reactions: Kevin
#4 ·
Interesting question and observation...

I wave at everyone on two wheels if I'm not preoccupied. The reason is to say "I see you." Because the first thing the cager is going to say after taking you out is "I didn't see you." I know we have to act like we are invisible, but we're not and it's nice to have another rider acknowledge the fact.

#5 ·
You're right about riding on the left, I find it so much easier on my visits to France. Over here I still give a left wave but I'm not sure it's always seen. In France the locals tend to wave a leg. I try to wave at everyone, except little scooters.

#6 ·
saw this in the funnies recently, thought you'd all get a chuckle...

Attachments

#8 ·
I always try to wave, I ride on the wrong side for you guys (left) here in New Zealand. I use my left hand to wave and just move my hand up and across the body a little, or if both my hands are occuppied, a nod of the head will work as well here.
I think a traditional wave amongst motorcyclists is harmless and it does not cost anything.
I remember when I was learning to ride and a fellow motorcylist waved....i felt really :moved: I did not know this went on, I had a giggle to myself and it made me feel apart of this two wheel movement. :001_wub:

#10 ·
the WAVE

Drive on the left side here. Use the left hand to wave or signal to other riders. If both hands are busy operating controls, a nod is the usual courtesy. Tap on the helmet to alert for police & speed traps. Stick one leg out to alert riders behind me of loose gravel or other dangers. I use my right hand to wave to Beemer riders because I want to slow down and see their bikes. If it's another BMW Roadster, I release the throttle and give a proper hand salute to the eyebrow.
Now for a veeery few riders, I let go of the bars entirely with both hands and wave like an idiot.

#54 ·
Drive on the left side here. Use the left hand to wave or signal to other riders. If both hands are busy operating controls, a nod is the usual courtesy. Tap on the helmet to alert for police & speed traps. Stick one leg out to alert riders behind me of loose gravel or other dangers. I use my right hand to wave to Beemer riders because I want to slow down and see their bikes. If it's another BMW Roadster, I release the throttle and give a proper hand salute to the eyebrow.
Now for a veeery few riders, I let go of the bars entirely with both hands and wave like an idiot.
Clem - LOL

Surf and gone in 60 - hope to see you guys riding around socal!

I always wave to harleys. If they don't wave back, I understand. I would be embarrassed too if I was riding a bike that costs as much or more than a Beemer, and is a piece of sh:001_tt2:t!

#18 ·
Hi All,
Having only been on the bike for about a year, after a very long break, I can not recall ever seeing anyone wave. Just a lot of helmet nodding or a quick sideways turn of the head.
I guess it is horses for courses.
Regards
John

#23 ·
I think that is an Australian thing, we don't wave, we nod. It think it originates from the wink and tilted head greeting (usually accompanied by a warm "Gday Mate!") that you give acquaintances when you see them. Of course, if you have a passenger on the bike it is their solemn responsibility to wave at every passing bike.

#19 ·
I'll wave or nod when I'm not turning or braking. Doesn't matter to me if they wave back. I also want one of those spring loaded hands. Bet you'd get stopped though...

#21 ·
I've noticed that as well. Must fit in with the H.O.G. image. Mostly the guys who don't wear helmets don't do the wave at me on my R12R. But they still get waved at by me whether they like it or not :)

#24 ·
#25 ·
So if the two finger "V" wave is suposed to represent the V twin. What hand signal is for a boxer? The surfer sign maybe?

The one finger salute must be for a thumper. The vulcan live long a prosper could be for the V4. A "L" on your forhead could the proper greeting for a Ducati rider:001_tt2:.

:whatdoyouthink:

#26 ·
Nod has moved to a sideways tip over 40 years

When I started riding in 1973 in London and the UK it was a simple nod. After having a bit of a break and coming back to biking it is now de riguer to tip ones head to the right as opposed to the traditional nod. The good old simple nod is a hard habit to break and I can't quite get the new head tip right :dizzy:

#27 ·
When I started riding in 1973 in London and the UK it was a simple nod. After having a bit of a break and coming back to biking it is now de riguer to tip ones head to the right as opposed to the traditional nod. The good old simple nod is a hard habit to break and I can't quite get the new head tip right :dizzy:
It can get a bit complex I know, but you should not have to conform to what is etiquette today, unless you want to fit in.
I imagine a tip to the right, can place quiet some strain on the neck especially wearing a helmet, I nod to the front less strain being more natural because I reckon you do more nodding moves in a daytime than nodding to the right, so you neck muscles will be stronger. My :2cents: worth….I waffle

Reactions: joebloggz
#28 ·
Waves ?

Here in North of England the nod is pretty much the only acknowledgement from another bike,Indeed when the police rode 200cc water cooled Velocette LE bikes they were not allowed to take their hands off the bars so you got a nod ,hence the term for the old Velos "Noddy Bikes"
The warning sign for a speed camera is a thumbs down with the right hand and for any other problems up ahead a headlight flash.Surprisingly quite a lot of cars will flash a headlamp warning to bikes,mainly 30 plus male drivers who probably have a bike in the garage or wish they had.
If you are riding sensibly(which I always do ----Honest) and you are riding a beemer then you are quite likely to get a nod from a motorcycle policeman,unlikely if you are on some extreme custom job with ape hangers and you are wearing shorts and a skull and crossbones tee shirt.
Most of our british cops ride BMW RT,s some ride Yamaha FJR,s.What do American cops ride and are they biker friendly?Just curious,I was over in Oregon a couple of years back and never saw one bike cop.

#46 ·
If you are riding sensibly(which I always do ----Honest) and you are riding a beemer then you are quite likely to get a nod from a motorcycle policeman,unlikely if you are on some extreme custom job with ape hangers and you are wearing shorts and a skull and crossbones tee shirt.
Most of our british cops ride BMW RT,s some ride Yamaha FJR,s.
I find the same to be true here in Melbourne, Australia. Our motorcycle cops ride BMW R1200RT's and they seem to have upgraded to K1600's recently. We also have paramedics on F700GS's.

#29 ·
Like Erin, I ride in New Zealand. Typically a held up left hand, cupped slightly to go back on the controls quickly, appears de rigour. There's also a drop or rise of the chin - the head normally to the right as that's normally where you see another bike (coming toward you). I've found nearly everyone does some (friendly) gesture - even Harley riders who are more likely to be accountants than "bad assers". When I toured europe in the mid 90s, many riders used to stick a foot out (I guess it was the left).

It's nice to acknowledge & be acknowledged. I always wave to the cops on their RTs.

#33 ·
Obviously, a wave for a "boxer" would be a closed fist punching an uppercut. . .yeah, that would totally charm the Harley guys. . .

#34 ·
Your funny…but there must be a cure for this disdain towards Harleys DrDave….I think it has got to the festering stage now and this could be quiet timely.

But ah...

A cure could be (highly illegal and old fashioned mind you) handcuffed to a trailer being towed by pink Harleys ridden by leather kilt wearing kids

and taken to Sturgis

and left in the middle of the Buffalo Chip Bar looked after by their body guard

Now this may or may not work…but my consultancy fees are free :)

#36 ·
I think Harley Riders are fine. BMW could learn something about the concept of social bike riding from Harley. Harley riders could learn about the concept of hygiene from BMW riders.

#38 ·

I had to think about this before I replied, its a broad sweeping statement Dr Dave, one that could have been more considered and a little more explanation.
But I have a glimpse of where you are coming from…perhaps we all need to be a bit more tolerant, take more interest in each other and each others bikes, a little less image, and we may achieve the above.

Wow, your outrageous sometimes!:closedeyes:

#41 ·
It was meant as humor, Leo. I have never gotten close enough to HD riders to examine their personal hygiene, although I have to wonder whether the people who film bike week at Sturgis might male a lot of money having Right Guard as a sponsor...:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.