BMW R1200R Forum banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
I always wave. Harley riders call us snobs but 50% of them don't wave :)
I've noticed that as well. Must fit in with the H.O.G. image. Mostly the guys who don't wear helmets don't do the wave at me on my R12R. But they still get waved at by me whether they like it or not :)

Hi All,
Having only been on the bike for about a year, after a very long break, I can not recall ever seeing anyone wave. Just a lot of helmet nodding or a quick sideways turn of the head.
I guess it is horses for courses.
Regards
John
I think that is an Australian thing, we don't wave, we nod. It think it originates from the wink and tilted head greeting (usually accompanied by a warm "Gday Mate!") that you give acquaintances when you see them. Of course, if you have a passenger on the bike it is their solemn responsibility to wave at every passing bike.

So if the two finger "V" wave is suposed to represent the V twin. What hand signal is for a boxer? The surfer sign maybe?

The one finger salute must be for a thumper. The vulcan live long a prosper could be for the V4. A "L" on your forhead could the proper greeting for a Ducati rider:001_tt2:.

:whatdoyouthink:

Nod has moved to a sideways tip over 40 years

When I started riding in 1973 in London and the UK it was a simple nod. After having a bit of a break and coming back to biking it is now de riguer to tip ones head to the right as opposed to the traditional nod. The good old simple nod is a hard habit to break and I can't quite get the new head tip right :dizzy:

When I started riding in 1973 in London and the UK it was a simple nod. After having a bit of a break and coming back to biking it is now de riguer to tip ones head to the right as opposed to the traditional nod. The good old simple nod is a hard habit to break and I can't quite get the new head tip right :dizzy:
It can get a bit complex I know, but you should not have to conform to what is etiquette today, unless you want to fit in.
I imagine a tip to the right, can place quiet some strain on the neck especially wearing a helmet, I nod to the front less strain being more natural because I reckon you do more nodding moves in a daytime than nodding to the right, so you neck muscles will be stronger. My :2cents: worth….I waffle

Reactions: joebloggz
Waves ?

Here in North of England the nod is pretty much the only acknowledgement from another bike,Indeed when the police rode 200cc water cooled Velocette LE bikes they were not allowed to take their hands off the bars so you got a nod ,hence the term for the old Velos "Noddy Bikes"
The warning sign for a speed camera is a thumbs down with the right hand and for any other problems up ahead a headlight flash.Surprisingly quite a lot of cars will flash a headlamp warning to bikes,mainly 30 plus male drivers who probably have a bike in the garage or wish they had.
If you are riding sensibly(which I always do ----Honest) and you are riding a beemer then you are quite likely to get a nod from a motorcycle policeman,unlikely if you are on some extreme custom job with ape hangers and you are wearing shorts and a skull and crossbones tee shirt.
Most of our british cops ride BMW RT,s some ride Yamaha FJR,s.What do American cops ride and are they biker friendly?Just curious,I was over in Oregon a couple of years back and never saw one bike cop.

Like Erin, I ride in New Zealand. Typically a held up left hand, cupped slightly to go back on the controls quickly, appears de rigour. There's also a drop or rise of the chin - the head normally to the right as that's normally where you see another bike (coming toward you). I've found nearly everyone does some (friendly) gesture - even Harley riders who are more likely to be accountants than "bad assers". When I toured europe in the mid 90s, many riders used to stick a foot out (I guess it was the left).

It's nice to acknowledge & be acknowledged. I always wave to the cops on their RTs.

Ten years ago the Harley riders would never wave, at least not at Euro/Japanese bikes. Now, for some reason they wave all the time in this neck of the woods, just in time for everybody else to quit waving. Now they'll know that we really are snobs.

Obviously, a wave for a "boxer" would be a closed fist punching an uppercut. . .yeah, that would totally charm the Harley guys. . .

Obviously, a wave for a "boxer" would be a closed fist punching an uppercut. . .yeah, that would totally charm the Harley guys. . .
Your funny…but there must be a cure for this disdain towards Harleys DrDave….I think it has got to the festering stage now and this could be quiet timely.

But ah...

A cure could be (highly illegal and old fashioned mind you) handcuffed to a trailer being towed by pink Harleys ridden by leather kilt wearing kids

and taken to Sturgis

and left in the middle of the Buffalo Chip Bar looked after by their body guard

Now this may or may not work…but my consultancy fees are free :)

I think Harley Riders are fine. BMW could learn something about the concept of social bike riding from Harley. Harley riders could learn about the concept of hygiene from BMW riders.

drdave
are you suggesting Harley riders are filthy people ??:):)
Hope my wife does not read this :)
My wife happens to own a sportster , it's the only bike she'll ride , I believe it's the only one she has ever owned

I think Harley Riders are fine. BMW could learn something about the concept of social bike riding from Harley. Harley riders could learn about the concept of hygiene from BMW riders.

I had to think about this before I replied, its a broad sweeping statement Dr Dave, one that could have been more considered and a little more explanation.
But I have a glimpse of where you are coming from…perhaps we all need to be a bit more tolerant, take more interest in each other and each others bikes, a little less image, and we may achieve the above.

Wow, your outrageous sometimes!:closedeyes:

I let my wife read this , she laughed , thought it was funny , did not bother her , lucky for me , she is a lighthearted being , does not take life so serious

21 - 40 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.