BMW R1200R Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts
It was meant as humor, Leo. I have never gotten close enough to HD riders to examine their personal hygiene, although I have to wonder whether the people who film bike week at Sturgis might male a lot of money having Right Guard as a sponsor...:)

It was meant as humor, Leo. I have never gotten close enough to HD riders to examine their personal hygiene, although I have to wonder whether the people who film bike week at Sturgis might male a lot of money having Right Guard as a sponsor...:)
You wrote it with such a straight face DrDave! but dang! it got my interest....I think it would be good debate stuff.

I wave on two-lane highways because I'm really looking for the tap on the helmet for Smokey's down the road.

I don't wave on the Interstates because the Rider's on the opposite lanes are too far away, but I'll tap my helmet if necessary.

I don't wave as much during commute-time because hands on bars is more important in the traffic congestion.

Not seen the helmet tap. Here it's a flat palm hand pushing down, like dribbling a basketball, speed trap ahead. Head tap like rubbing your belly at the same time sort of thing? Or head tap with finger?

If you are riding sensibly(which I always do ----Honest) and you are riding a beemer then you are quite likely to get a nod from a motorcycle policeman,unlikely if you are on some extreme custom job with ape hangers and you are wearing shorts and a skull and crossbones tee shirt.
Most of our british cops ride BMW RT,s some ride Yamaha FJR,s.
I find the same to be true here in Melbourne, Australia. Our motorcycle cops ride BMW R1200RT's and they seem to have upgraded to K1600's recently. We also have paramedics on F700GS's.

California riders, and other states as well, does a tap on the helmet relay to you that there are hiway patrol ahead?
Before reading Svaha!Dean's post I hadn't heard of that signal. Can't remember ever seeing it on the road either, but then again I might have been just lucky!

Was out on the bike yesterday, and as usual, got the nod from most of the bikers going in the other direction, but then noticed that the type of greeting you receive might also depend on the type of bike the other rider is on.

The reason I say that is because there must have been some sort of rally in the area, because I was pleased and not a little surprised to see not one, but five Black Shadows, one with a side car, all going in the opposite direction, and every rider to a man, put one hand up as we passed each other.

No "cool" nod, or a hand briefly taken off the throttle, rather a good old fashioned wave.

Reactions: mikeS
After getting back on a bike for the first time in many years a few weeks back I wondered how long it'd be before I got my first wave and from who.

First one was after a week or so - and from a Harley rider, Levi's, t-shirt, no helmet, beard and all. Felt good to a noob on a Beemer with my full face helmet, gear & etc.

You never know.

Wave ;

Not in the city, only on country or mountain roads

Usually nod or lift a few fingers up off the throttle , thumbs up sometimes

To me it's signalling that there's no trouble ahead , all clear

No wave if cornering or going quick

Not a big deal , I don't feel the need to wave everyone

When saying goodbye to riding mates will slap a ' low five ' or shake hands while moving , kind of like the racers

Drive on the left side here. Use the left hand to wave or signal to other riders. If both hands are busy operating controls, a nod is the usual courtesy. Tap on the helmet to alert for police & speed traps. Stick one leg out to alert riders behind me of loose gravel or other dangers. I use my right hand to wave to Beemer riders because I want to slow down and see their bikes. If it's another BMW Roadster, I release the throttle and give a proper hand salute to the eyebrow.
Now for a veeery few riders, I let go of the bars entirely with both hands and wave like an idiot.
Clem - LOL

Surf and gone in 60 - hope to see you guys riding around socal!

I always wave to harleys. If they don't wave back, I understand. I would be embarrassed too if I was riding a bike that costs as much or more than a Beemer, and is a piece of sh:001_tt2:t!

Stick right leg out as it is not doing much else, drive on the left-hand side of the road, so the right hand is busy on the throttle.

Do Harley riders wave to each other? is what I am wondering. I know they seldom wave to other riders, it must be hard for them trying to work out what kind of bike is approaching and whether to not wave or wave. Imagine the horror of the Harley rider on accidentally waving to a Japanese cruiser after thinking it was a Harley, perhaps this is why they don't wave - it's too risky, there's a lot at stake when you are really really cool.

Stick right leg out as it is not doing much else, drive on the left-hand side of the road, so the right hand is busy on the throttle.
I don't know if it is universal, but sticking out the right leg means for the other rider to watch out for a road hazard on the right. If my hands are busy, I just nod.

Do Harley riders wave to each other? is what I am wondering. I know they seldom wave to other riders, it must be hard for them trying to work out what kind of bike is approaching and whether to not wave or wave. Imagine the horror of the Harley rider on accidentally waving to a Japanese cruiser after thinking it was a Harley, perhaps this is why they don't wave - it's too risky, there's a lot at stake when you are really really cool.
I sometimes get confused with the design of some of the newer scooters. Some look like motorcycles from head on as they are approaching. I don't usually acknowledge scooter riders because they aren't cool like me. :grin2: Sometimes I get tricked and will give them the "shaka" (Hawaii greeting) or a nod only to realize it was a scooter. Messed up part is that they always look at me and ignore me. haha. Pretty certain scooter riders don't know about the waving thing.

Reactions: mikeS and joebloggz
Hmm, HD rider don't seem to nod /wave etc probably because they think no one likes them or vice versa. A pack Sport bike riders on a mission to beat the clock don't wave. Adventure / tourer riders of any brand all seem to nod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.