BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2012 R1200R, K27, Light-grey Metallic
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of having my side cases (panniers is such a strange word!) spray-painted this winter. Only the lids of course. But If you open a case while standing on the floor, the lid scrubs the floor and that would seriously damage the paint. I have seen pictures of plastic protectors, probably exactly for this problem:

Automotive design Personal luxury car Motorcycle accessories Personal protective equipment Automotive exterior

But they cost a fortune, probably more than the paintjob!
Are there members that solved this problem a bit more affordable?

·
Registered
768 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That 3M stuff looks real stiff, impossible to wrap around the curve. And I have a history as signmaker...
Those pre-formed plastic parts look a lot nicer, but so damn expensive.
I kinda like the contrast of then too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
have you considered a vinyl wrap?
Yes, but as a former signmaker I absolutely HATE wrapping round objects. I tried one helmet, just for fun, and concluded after 10 minutes that I do not have the patience for that :ROFLMAO:
Besides you cannot get vinyl in light-grey-metallic.

I am thinking however, the have the lids spray-painted, and imitate those plastic parts using a thick rubbery vinyl that is used to make stairs and boat-decks non-slip.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I put it on my R1200RT, my R1200R and my 'ol boat anchor Harley Softail. Just takes a bit of time and a hard rubber spatula.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I painted mine to match the bike a few years ago after an unfortunate dirt nap, the result of the bike falling off a too-long sidestand in high winds. I also applied a pre-cut set of film paint protectors. Note that these are sometimes sold as being for the S1000XR, which uses the same panniers. These don't work on matte paint, nor do they protect the bottoms from floor scratches; I keep an old piece of carpet in the garage for things like that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts