BMW R1200R Forum banner

81 - 100 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
What a Nice Ride This morning

Took off about 8 am. Stopped for the morning Colada at the local Cuban Bakery. Got on and i was off. Miami to Naples via 27 and 75. Bike cruises for hours at 80-90-100 110 MPH like standing still. Bike performs beautifully on these longer rides. I mean really Nice ! Cant stop thinking about it. Awesome!

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Took off about 8 am. Stopped for the morning Colada at the local Cuban Bakery. Got on and i was off. Miami to Naples via 27 and 75. Bike cruises for hours at 80-90-100 110 MPH like standing still. Bike performs beautifully on these longer rides. I mean really Nice ! Cant stop thinking about it. Awesome!
At the next Pep Boys or Best Buy. . .a radar detector :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I managed to get weed wackier string through the drain. I kind of think that the reason it is "clogged" is sharp turn and or narrowing of the tube as it exits the tank.

It is not problem getting to that point from either end. It took a small amount of lubricant to get past it however.

Next the POR application.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I managed to get weed wackier string through the drain. I kind of think that the reason it is "clogged" is sharp turn and or narrowing of the tube as it exits the tank.

It is not problem getting to that point from either end. It took a small amount of lubricant to get past it however.

Next the POR application.

Thats interesting, I've wondered following this thread if the drains are not getting clogged or are ineffecient. POR great stuff, I coated a mower deck 10 years ago and its still holding up.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thats interesting, I've wondered following this thread if the drains are not getting clogged or are ineffecient. POR great stuff, I coated a mower deck 10 years ago and its still holding up.

I have used POR as well with good success. I am also very careful to not get it on my hands etc. That stuff is really hard to get off.

Well until today. I will spare the details but I ended up with a huge splash and the POR went all over my face, hair and arms. OMG. I grabbed some mineral spirits and was able to get it off followed by a shower. I have a little left on my lower eyelash. Semi permanent eye make up.

I was super lucky but I am not thrilled to have slathered all that stuff on my skin.

Oh and after all that I managed to paint the R12 :)

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
2014 model, June purchase, 3333 fair-weather miles ... just checked and reporting no ring included on this build (no rust detected) and will be ordering ABDECKRING tomorrow from dealership.

View attachment 11746

Thanks for the head's-up!

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
ABDECKRING received and installed today. Took maybe all of 5min.

View attachment 11954

Question: Is the ring supposed to be pulled down into the groove it is sealing or does it ride more flush with the tank? Mine pulled down a little bit which makes it rise up around the edge and not remain flush with the tank. You can see it between the 7-8 o'clock position where the circle doesn't stay true.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Question: Is the ring supposed to be pulled down into the groove it is sealing or does it ride more flush with the tank? Mine pulled down a little bit which makes it rise up around the edge and not remain flush with the tank. You can see it between the 7-8 o'clock position where the circle doesn't stay true.
I tried few times to make it look 100% perfect, and then remembered why I installed it and left it alone.

Are those V rod Muscle Mirrors????

Attachments

·
Registered
1,805 Posts

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Are those V rod Muscle Mirrors????
Actually, no. I didn't know such things existed.

I had heard a statistic that the majority of motorcycle accidents occur "head-on", so I wanted more lights up front and I saw these pedal-bike lights and thought to adapt them as you see them.

My only dilemma now is whether or not the cops will pull me because they're blue. So far I've ridden past a Highway Patrol (who did pull me for speeding - 96 in a 55 - ouch!) and a local county Sheriff without incident. I only run them when I'm flying on two-lane highway country roads, not on Interstates or urban environments.

·
Registered
12 Posts
AB Deckring question ??

Called my local BMW dealer parts dept. yesterday to order an AB Deckring and gave them Part # 16117681038. My bike is a 2009 R1200R. Parts man said it was not the correct part # for my bike. He's probably wrong, but just wanted to verify that this part # will work/fit on my bike before I order it. Based on what I've read on this thread, it will fit. Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks Hoshiko!
I'm a brand new R1200R owner (bought my 2011, same color as yours, 2 days ago), and I was so happy to find this forum, firstly because it shows how pleased and enthusiastic owners of these bikes are, and secondly, because of posts like this. I am hopeful that my bike has no rust, since it has spent its whole life in SoCal, and since the dealer just performed the fuel pump recall service, but I am going to pop that cap off soon, and install the gasket!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Man,hasn't this post caused some activity on this forum.
I had already installed the Abdeckring previously as a result of some great information provided on this site. As people have said this is the cheapest thing you will ever get from BMW.

For everyones info there are two things that you can possibly do to help minimise the build up of moisture below the filler cap on the fuel tank that causes corrosion .

1. I Always make sure on my bikes that the overflow pipe is clear. This pipe can easily be blocked up with soap suds or dirt etc. I usually blow this out with compressed air prior to washing the bike.
2. I apply some sticky tape around the circumference of fuel filler cap to minimise the entry of water before washing the bike.
Don't forget to remove the tape after.
Cheers

·
Registered
69 Posts
Man,hasn't this post caused some activity on this forum.
I had already installed the Abdeckring previously as a result of some great information provided on this site. As people have said this is the cheapest thing you will ever get from BMW.

For everyones info there are two things that you can possibly do to help minimise the build up of moisture below the filler cap on the fuel tank that causes corrosion .

1. I Always make sure on my bikes that the overflow pipe is clear. This pipe can easily be blocked up with soap suds or dirt etc. I usually blow this out with compressed air prior to washing the bike.
2. I apply some sticky tape around the circumference of fuel filler cap to minimise the entry of water before washing the bike.
Don't forget to remove the tape after.
Cheers
Badge , yes it's been a really valuable post. I noticed corrosion under the fuel cap in my 2013 R a few months ago. The dealer said to me 'bring it in and we shall arrange to replace the fuel tank'! That was a good response but as far as I was concerned the tank was easily repairable. Anyway, they photographed the corrosion and sent the information to Germany....then......nothing! There was no more talk of replacing the tank but, worse, there was no advice on solving the problem...a problem whose existence everyone agreed to.

But I did go to the showroom to check out other fuel tanks - some had abdeckrings (R9T, S1000RR) and others like the RT, I think, didn't. So I took the advice from the forum and fitted the abdeckring.

I noticed, as I was removing the corrosion and doing the painting that I couldn't work out how water could escape from the well or chamber under the cap. There is a neoprene gasket under the red plastic bit that seems to seal all the way around the drain holes ...so how could water even reach the drain? That seems to me to be the root of the problem but I wasn't prepared to cut this gasket when there was another solution.

Well anyway, my problem has been attended to thanks to this forum...though, of course, I shall take things apart in a couple of months to make sure that my workmanship has been good enough.

81 - 100 of 133 Posts