BMW R1200R Forum banner

121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
2011 R1200R....previous 1994 K75RT
20 Posts
Well if it can go wrong....it did. I have now learned how to take my gas tank off which was not that difficult actually with the Haynes manual and being mechanically inclined already. So bottom line the stress ball overnight soaked in gas fumes and deteriorated into the tank. I’ve drained the tank pulled the tank and have the ball lined up to remove. Intent is to also pull the fuel pump check the strainer and blow out the breather lines and ensure there is no debris. I still have to deal with the 2xM5 broken torx bolts…Plan is to drill them out and re-tap for either M5 if able or go up one size to M6. I now know more about my motorcycle than I ever did before just doing brakes, final drive, and oil changes.

Attachments

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
5,863 Posts
Rather than drill and re-tap to M6, I’d fit M5 Helicoil (or similar) thread inserts.
You can buy kits rather than pay someone else to do it.

·
Registered
2016 BMW R1200R
55 Posts
Anyone know if this is an issue with 2016 R12R's?

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
5,863 Posts

·
Registered
2016 BMW R1200R
55 Posts
Wasnt sure if it was completely plastic or just encased in a plastic "shell". Thats a relief! Thank you sir.

·
Registered
70 Posts
For no good reason, I've avoided taking a look at the fuel filler on my 2010 hexhead...I guess it was an "out of sight, out of mind" situation. I finally got around to it today after reading this thread over the last few days.

The feelings of dread started as soon as I started removing the torx screws and found them covered in reddish-brown gunk. It occurred to me that there must be so much rust under the red plastic liner that it had bubbled up over the screws.

Thankfully, I found something else entirely. When all of the pieces were out I found that the tank metal was (mostly) coated with a nice, thick enamel paint that was light brown in color. There was a nearly continuous layer of what appeared to be biologic "slime" on top of the paint -- that was the reddish-brown gunk that I'd seen on the screws. The slime was easy to wipe off with a shop towel. Most of the paint was in new condition. There were two areas, however, where the paint had failed, and in those spots (probably about 3 cm2 in total) the underlying metal was rusted.

On balance I'm happy to see that there is minimal rust. I'll take the advice of others in this thread to deal with this. I'm curious about the paint on the metal in the filler, however, since it was my impression from numerous other posts here that BMW had made a consistent error in leaving this metal unpainted. My tank is evidence that for at least some period in 2010 they did protect that portion of the tank with proper paint. The fact that the paint is in such good condition after 10 years of riding suggests that it's good stuff, too.

121 - 133 of 133 Posts