BMW R1200R Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
yeah, there's a few good reasons for that :rolleyes:
Having owned 2 roadsters, I think you hit the nail on the head in the review. I especially liked your mention of the seat peg distance. It is even more cramped on the LCs, and that was an issue that pushed me to the "ubiquitous" GS I now have ridden for about 55k miles, after about 160k miles on two roadsters. That, and the GS came stock with many of the things I'd add to the roadster for my style of riding.
It's too bad they cramped the riding position even more with the LC's. I wrote a lengthy comment about the ergonomics on my Roadster on the ADVRider R****R forum about that. Some guys (I expect younger riders) like the ergo's the way they are. My feeling is, it's a mature bike for such sport bike ergo's. And the age poll shows more riders are over 40 than under.
But hey, what do I know...

·
Registered
Africa Twin's and a BMW or two
87 Posts
Hi Sharky,

Riding is perfect. Used to a full naked bike before, so the winscreen really takes off a lot of the wind. I'm 196 cm, and have the a high seat. I still feel wind at the upper body, but but "constant". So no turbulence on the helmet (which you can have if the windshield is the wrong size.l

It could be that the windshield fully takes of the wind for you or concentrates it on your head area, which causes turbulence I think.

Good luck!
After putting 800 k ish on the R in the last couple of weeks.
The wind noise with the standard fairing is brutal.
Ear plugs are a must.
Fine to keep the gale off your chest but I took it off which helps.
I had an R850R which for whatever reason didn't create quarter the racket.
One other small observation the low down torque isn't as meaty as I expected.
Might be a gearing thing !
But anyway ride it like mad!
Sports handling!
Sofa seating!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ditch the stock screen. It sucks.
Gearing: bingo! I've never owned a bike that could handle a lazy 2,500 rpms without laboring. Need to accelerate? Knock it down a gear, twist and hang on. Personally, I like to be around 3,500 but the power spread is broad because it extends down, even below 3k rpms. Above 4k is where it starts to sing.

Reactions: JPC IRL

·
Registered
87 Posts
Gearing: bingo! I've never owned a bike that could handle a lazy 2,500 rpms without laboring. Need to accelerate? Knock it down a gear, twist and hang on. Personally, I like to be around 3,500 but the power spread is broad because it extends down, even below 3k rpms. Above 4k is where it starts to sing.
It's something I really noticed in slow town riding.
3rd and 4th in the sweeper's is where the fun and games happen.
Really amazed by the feel for road surface from the front end.
Given all the guff about the telelever front ends.
The R850R was similar just a little harsher.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
My last Rocket III made 140 ft lbs at 2500 rpm.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Here's a question.
My 2012 R1200R is running on Bridgestone B31s I think.
Never had Bridgestone on a bike before and they are decent.
Any concencus on tyres ?
Michelin Pilots are my normal choice on road bikes and on the last BMW.
Continental have been excellent on the Africa twin.
Any thoughts?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts