BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I've been searching the forum and the web for an answer, but none seem to match the issue I'm having.

2008 R1200R. Sounds great at startup and for the first 10 minutes or so, but once the bike is fully warmed up I get a fairly noticeable ticking coming from the left cylinder between about 3200 and 3400RPMs. Checked the valve clearances, rocker clearances (adjusted on the tighter side) and TB sync. Everything is within spec.

Does this sound like a cam chain tensioner issue? From what I've read, this is usually a sound you hear at startup when the engine is cold... correct me if I'm wrong.

Any help would be appreciated. OR... if everyone says "this is normal" I'm totally good with that too : )

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
RealOEM.com * BMW K27 R 1200 R 11 (0400,0490) TIMING-VALVE TRAIN-TIMING CHAIN/CAMSHAFT

After the engine got hot, my old R1100R tick-tick-ticked for years before I traded her for a DOHC. You didn't state the mileage, but a 2008 could have enough wear to need replacement. Parts cost maybe nominal. The labor is what's costly.
If you intend to rplace the tensioner blades and guide blades, the engine must be removed and the crankcases split. Serious job.
Tensioners can be removed with the engine in the frame. Haynes Manual rates it a 2 out of 5 wrench difficulty. You should be OK. Need a stick coil puller, Wunderlich & BMW both sell these. You can make your own TDC tool. BMW's (part #112650) is expensive.
The left side is apparently extremely limited access.(more time and expletives) It's on the top of the cylinder just under the telelever pivot. Need to also replace the sealing washer as well.
Right side tensioner is on the underside of the cylinder.

If you are going to replace it yourself, please post it under maintenace and do it yourself. Others will want to know. This thread will be useless without pictures.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Been using the proper octane gas for sure.

Don't know if I'm up for pulling/splitting the engine this season, but might pull the tensioners and check them. Bike has 34k miles by the way.

Funny thing is, my wife has an '07 R1200R with 17k miles. Hers makes the same noise, but around 2500 RPMs. Also on the left side and also after the bike is fully warmed up.

The ticking isn't overwhelmingly loud on either bike and there are no weird vibrations or performance issues. Thinking ill just leave it for now. In fact, it may be one of those things that was always there and I just didn't notice til now... I'm a little OCD anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Probably a safe decision. That's what I did. If you pull the tensioner, confirm the plunger moves freely in and out of the tensioner body with no scoring or damage, and the spring tension is good, it's probably fine.
The ticking may be it's way of letting you know it has reached operating temperature. If the BMW dealer mechanic doesn't raise a red flag when he listens to it, just ride those two Roadsters until the clutch slips.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts