BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I initially got my 2007 R 1200 r I rode it for about 200 miles before changing the oil. After changing the oil I noticed a slight ticking sound. I went through the steps to check the valve clearance. And even had to change one of the valve clearance screws. Finally got everything put back together today. And as I am warming it up for test ride. I noticed the ticking sound is now even louder. It appears to be coming mostly from the left side but I can hear it on both sides. And it seems to show up once the bike has warmed for a bit. I'm positive I checked and rechecked and checked again my clearances and torque settings. But with a sound getting worse as it warms up I'm assuming it's exhaust valve clearances? At any rate I will obviously take the valve covers off the left side and check them once again. I just don't understand why all this started after an oil change.

·
Registered
566 Posts
My guess would be to see what the sign is for a failing chain tensioner. My XX was renowned for those failing, but it posed little risk of damage...it was the spring that wore out and replacement was simple. The first sign was a tapping sound that was louder than typical. As these things do tend to wear out, I’d expect it to be user replaceable or adjustable (needs tightening from time to time).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah chain tensioner entered my mind as well. Working the next 3 days so it will have to wait till Tuesday. Which stinks because it is a gorgeous weekend and would have been a perfect ride to and from work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So finally got into it and the bottom exhaust valve was super loose. I redid the clearances, torque, rechecked clearance. Got put back together and it is much quieter. I can still hear a little tick but it mostly happens when I let off the throttle. It also backfires a bit now. I also changed all the spark plugs during this, NGK. So it is not 100%. I cant believe so many issues from changing the oil. I'm half convinced to trade it in on some thing else.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So went on a longer ride today and after about 10 mins got louder when letting off the throttle, ticking got louder as the ride progressed and after about 40 mins was just a constant tick. Took home and turned up a/c in garage and pointed fans at the engine. After about 6 hours was completely cool. Took left valve cover off along with alternator cover, turned clockwise to compression stroke and clearances are spot on. So I ordered the left side cam chain tensioner. I really hope this solves it. Since I bought it, it has spent way more time in the garage than on the road.

·
Registered
219 Posts
What mileage is on your bike? Interested to hear how this challenge unfolds for you, we feel your pain...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its a 2007 and has 19,500. But I'm not sure if that will fix my problem as I read something about the new tensioner's already were installed on the 2007.l

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well as I feared it did indeed have the up graded tensioner. I went ahead and put the new ones in and still ticks. I took a couple short videos of the noise but I cant figure out how to attach them.

·
Super Moderator
5,182 Posts
Am I right in thinking the first video is the RH cylinder and the LH is the second?

It’s hard to pick, but the ticking seems more pronounced as the video moves to the top rear of the engine, which might indicate a noisy injector. I know one of the noise reduction measures BMW took with the 1250 was to change the injectors for quieter ones than the 1200-LC, so injectors are a significant source of noise, and a dicky one more so.

You could test this theory by simply swapping the injectors left to right - they’re identical.

Have you tried to localise the ticking by listening either:
  • through a length of say 38 mm plastic drainage pipe, or
  • holding a large screwdriver against various points while pressing the end of the handle against your ear?

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
I cant believe so many issues from changing the oil. I'm half convinced to trade it in on some thing else.

Any excuse is better than none! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Really clutching at straws here, but is it at all possible the (I assume) sealed container of oil you used actually contained a different / lighter viscosity than what it said on the outside? (ie; a SNAFU back at the oil processing / packaging plant).
Before making any REALLY expensive BIG decisions, maybe worth just changing the oil again using another sealed container but from a different supplier???

Could be a whole lot cheaper than diving into a (potentially unnecessary) major repair bill or worse, moving a great bike on unnecessarily.

YMMV...

·
Super Moderator
5,182 Posts
Odd, then, that the ticking is evident on the left side rather than both, @herdygerdy 🤔

You didn't drop your Timex into the crankcase, did you @Texinmaine ?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ah yes, good point PZ. I agree the idea of identifying a clicky injector is worth pursuing further for sure. The first vid you posted of the RH cylinder does get noisier as the camera moves closer to the injector. As Pz suggested, swap 'em over and see if the worst noise moves to the other cylinder.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
  • holding a large screwdriver against various points while pressing the end of the handle against your ear?
I actually tried that today. A friend suggested it and I cant believe I had forgotten about that. So the noise is definitely the left cylinder. The left valve cover has a slight tick, the cylinder head is surprisingly quiet but when I place it on the cylinder there is a very sharp tick that is almost painful. The right side has a slight tick but I believe it to be residual from the left side. looking at schematics I can not imagine what is causing the noise, that is where the piston located correct? At any rate I am sure it will be very costly.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Try placing the screwdriver against the intake at it's base, and on the exhaust where it exits the head, and see if there is a major difference in the tick there. If it's the injector, the intake side should be louder. Compare L/R intakes, also.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Try placing the screwdriver against the intake at it's base, and on the exhaust where it exits the head, and see if there is a major difference in the tick there. If it's the injector, the intake side should be louder. Compare L/R intakes, also.
It is definently coming from the left cylinder.

·
Super Moderator
5,182 Posts
Have you tried swapping the injectors left-right to rule them out before digging further?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I am positive the ticking is coming from here. I can hear and feel it through the screw driver.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts