BMW R1200R Forum banner

Tire choice

4K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  acarrino1948 
#1 ·
Disclaimer: mods, if this is the wrong section please let me know!

Anyone have a recommendation/argument for or against the Michelin Roads or Continental Road Attacks? I am going with one or the other via the dealer, and I like both, so I am just looking for any input to help me decide one way or the other. Pricing is pretty much the same for me for both. Going on a 16' R1200R.

#4 ·
The Road series has been good to me, but do have a tendency to develop cupping a little. The dual-compound is nice as it takes longer to square off the tire if you end up doing a lot of freeway miles. No complaint from me on these. (been through lots of sets of Road 4 and Road 5 on two bikes, have yet to try the 6.)

That said, I'm considering trying the Dunlop Mutant on my next change, just for something a little different.

#6 ·
I used to think that the best tires were simply new tires of any brand. But I swear my 2015R handles much better with the Michelin Road 5s than the old Metzelers, and it goes beyond simple "new tire joy". I flat out love them on this bike!

#7 · (Edited)
A friend of mine just replaced a set of worn-out Road Pilot 5s after 9-10K miles on his Ducati GT 1000, and he went with the same Road 5s. His bike is a stripped-down café racer-styled sub-400 lb machine with custom suspension, which he occasionally rides two-up.
I personally went with Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart IV tires, and couldn't be happier. So far I've done 2,5-3K on the tires in all weather condition (including sub-freezing temperatures and heavy rains), as well as two-up riding in light rain w/ a passenger and fully-loaded Givi V37 panniers and V47 top box. Front tire is basically brand new, rear tire has minimal wear down the middle from highway runs. My riding has been about 15% two-up, with some mildly-spirited riding in PA mountains, short 50/50 city highway commute as well as sub-150 mile highway runs.

I've bought the tires when there was very little to no review information available online. Now you can find video of people testing Roadsmart 4 tires, even taking them to the track with favorable feedback. I'll post a few photos of the tire wear in my original thread later today: Dunlop Roadsmart IV Tires -10,000 Miles (?!) - Rider...

Reactions: r0ckrat
#9 ·
My last set was Contis. The rear was replaced after 6K because of a puncture and still had plenty of tread. The front scalloped at 11K. Both were replaced with 6's. I did find that the Contis took a few miles to warm up, whereas the 6's are good to go. Both sets handled predictably in the dry and the little rain we get here in Arizona.

#10 ·
Thanks for all the feedback folks. I'm in New Hampshire, and I ride starting quite early, and go quite late (even more so now that I have creature comforts like a heated grip and a tall windshield I can swap to). I absolutely swear by continentals for my truck/suv, and have actually had negative results with Michelins (used to swear by them), but it sounds like the Michelins might be a better option for me. Appreciate it, this is the info I need! :)

#11 ·
My favorite tires are Michelin Pilot Road rear with Pilot Power front. The Pilot Road front is too heavily compromised for wet roads and feathers/cups into uselessness in less than 2.5k miles when ridden hard. The PP front is stickier and lasts as long as the PR rear.

Currently running Bridgestone S22s because I've been getting good deals. They last 3.5-4k miles on the heavy R and have enough stick that I dragged a cylinder head.

Reactions: Hndymn
#12 · (Edited)
Had Pilot 3,4 and 5's on a Bandit 1250, the front tire always wore weird, cupping etc... but they were excellent in the rain, we are talking torrential downpour type of rain. 8-10,000 miles a set. Good on dirt roads also, lots of tread.

I am on the second set of Conties on my 2020 R1250R, get about 8,000 miles a set, maybe a bit less. Work good in the rain and easy dirt/gravel roads. I will stay with the Conties on my next set.

#15 ·
I'm a Continental guy - maybe I just like to be different.. but I just love the supple feel, good mileage, and they always stick like glue - whether the TKC70's on my GS, or the Road Attacks on the F800GT and R1200RT. I will definitely replace my current Pilot Roads on the R with RA4's when I'm back in the States this fall.

#18 ·
I think what we need to do now to settle this is office chair jousting, continental vs michelin :D

Kidding. I've got michelins now, albeit I bought the bike with low tread life. I'm going to try the contis first, and if I don't like them, michelins next ^_^

#21 ·
Conti Road Attack 3 on my ex R1200R were the only tires on any of my motorcycles that inspired so much confidence in the handling and "sticking" to the ground that I was grinding pegs on twisties where previously I dared not with any of the other combinations. I replaced the OEM Metzeller Z8 with Metzeller Roadtec 01 SE, based on good reviews, but the moment they are due for replacement, the Road Attack 4 will go back on, because, even though I have progressed quite a bit in the riding technique, I am never quite as confident with the Metzellers as I was with RA3.

Reactions: JRB_NW
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.