BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've just bought a 49L top box from a RT, it looks good but BIG!!! What do you think?

Registered
I agree. Too big. It looks like it'll hold a ton of stuff though. Thanks for posting the pics as it's going to help me choose the smaller box when and if I decide to buy a top box.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't tried it with the panniers yet, you're right it might slim it down a bit. I'll probably just keep it for my longer European trips and use the original 28L one for my daily commute.

Registered
How many liters are those garbage bins behind that beautiful blue bike? Maybe you could fashion a rack to use them as sidecases for a proportional look?:clown:

JK

I would wonder how it affects aerodynamics. It looks like it would bring buffeting to a new level, plus, the weight of your gear in there, because it will hold so much, must affect handling?

But if it works for you, then fine. A BMW is nothing if not form following function.

John

Registered
Considering I do not like ANY top boxes, I'm not a fan but its your bike and as long as it serves your needs that is all that matters. :)

Registered
Silly as it sounds, maybe just changing the color of the lid to black or a blue to match your bike will help it look smaller? Of course that won't help or fix the aerodynamics, or weight distribution. But I agree with fleuger99, just not a fan of top boxes, as a general rule. I look forward to hearing how it works for you!

Registered
The lid of the box matches the valve cover protectors and I think it looks good. Would like to see it with the bags though. I have a small Givi top box I have considered mounting but would need to install the luggage rack.

Premium Member
Go shopping with it and its big enough. Go to work with a briefcase and its big enough. Put two helmets inside and it's big enough. Go with it.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #11
I need the extra space (or at least my wife does) when we go away for more than a week. A topbox also gives her something to lean on. The box only looks too big in profile, from the back or front it looks OK.

Premium Member
Go shopping with it and its big enough. Go to work with a briefcase and its big enough. Put two helmets inside and it's big enough. Go with it.
Buy a Mini cooper or Fiat 500 and it's big enough, adopt an elephant and is big enough:D:D

Registered
I'd be concerned with the mounting points, a case that size just begs to be loaded to the brim. To much weight and you could crack the frame.

Premium Member
Which would definitely function as something of a theft deterrent while they decay. Go with the Big Box

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #16
I loaded the topbox up today with an extra 10kg and it definitely affected the handling. I'll probably revert back to the small box and try various other options of carrying a little extra. A pair of small bags I could strap on top of the panniers may work. They'd only be there for the first and last days of longer trips. At worst it's an excuse to go out on some trips to try it out.

Registered
I ride solo, not the same as you. That is a big looking box, but probably looks differant with panniers on. I would be more concerned with wieght distribution. I've always preferred soft top luggage such as Wolfman. I can make it all fit according to what I'm carrying, I don't even use the panniers unless I'm away overnight. Just thought's.

Premium Member
I ride solo, and frequently just use my large top box. Roads are pretty straight in Chicago-land, so handling at an angle is less of an issue. I haven't noticed a significant change in how the bike handles. The upside for two-up is that your rider has a backrest with the box in back.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #19
It seemed to handle OK going round bends. It just felt a little vague in a straight line under acceleration, the front didn't feel right. My wife definitely likes a topbox to lean on. We will just have to adjust to a less space on our 2 week trip to the Pyrenees this year.

Registered
Your Size

If you're 6'6" and tipping the scales around 250# it'll probably look fine when you ride. If you're 5'7' then be a bit overwhelming, but then you could probably sleep in the sucker in a pinch :001_tongue:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts