BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
BMW R1200R 2017
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting a Top box (/case) for my 2017 R1200R. A case that looks attractive to me is the BMW vario case that is normally seen on the GS models. Does anyone know if I can fit this to my bike? Is it just a matter of changing the baseplate?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I believe that fits directly with no modifications. If possible drop by a dealer to confirm.

I’ve considered that case as well, but in the end I went for the official top case, looks a lot better.

·
Registered
2015 BMW R1200R Light White
70 Posts
Mine had a Givi Trekker on it when I got it, didn’t suit the bike at all in my opinion, better suited to a GS, as the trekker was on a monokey base I did a swap for a Givi 47 lt top case with a backrest + some cash my way, really only use when wife is on the back and odd w/end trip but looks far more suitable for the R.

Al.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Keep top cases small and light as possible.

If not the OEM (best) the Shad SH 45 or SH 34 look good on the bike.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I am wanting a Top box (/case) for my 2017 R1200R. A case that looks attractive to me is the BMW vario case that is normally seen on the GS models. Does anyone know if I can fit this to my bike? Is it just a matter of changing the baseplate?
The Wethead Vario top box will fit your rear rack. The R has the same rack as the RS.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Reactions: serrge

·
Registered
2015 R1200R (Silver Fox)
8 Posts
Thought I revive this thread...

My 2015 R1200R is in search of a top case and I like the "muscular" look of the Vario top case. Based on the previous posts on this thread, one that fits an RS would fit an LC-R. I have not been able to find a listed Vario base plate for fitting onto the LC-R or RS from the usual places like Sierra, Bob's, Revzella etc.

Has anyone with a LC-R fitted a Vario top case? If yes, part number for the base plate or source, please. Thanks.

BTW, @SNboxer: Have you gotten a Vario top case to fit on your 2017 R1200R?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Look at Cariboucases. Used their products for a long time. Top notch. They use Pelican cases. Many advantages there including, after you have the setup, adapting other sizes of Pelican cases to the mount for types of different riding, eg long trip vs city rides. I would never buy GIVI again, flimsy and poor design. Hepco Baker is much better than GIVI, but none have the "gravitas" of cariboucases.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,696 Posts
My 2015 R1200R is in search of a top case and I like the "muscular" look of the Vario top case.
I had the Vario on a GS I rode in Europe recent and found its rectangular interior and adjustable height very practical. I only wished there was an intermediate height setting, but the internal cross-bar link lever makes this impossible. A minor criticism.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts