BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a BMW 30L top case on my R1250R. Apparently they don’t sell anything larger that fits. Is it possible to key a Givi or Shad to the BMW key?

·
Super Moderator
2,985 Posts
I have a BMW 30L top case on my R1250R. Apparently they don’t sell anything larger that fits. Is it possible to key a Givi or Shad to the BMW key?
Yes, it does requires a little bit of DYI home locksmithing. I have my GIVI V47 top box set to the bike's key. I think I posted this clip six months back. Very doable and worth the effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it does requires a little bit of DYI home locksmithing. I have my GIVI V47 top box set to the bike's key. I think I posted this clip six months back. Very doable and worth the effort.

I remember this. Can a locksmith or gunsmith do this?

·
Super Moderator
2,985 Posts
Sorry forgot to include this thread on another forum - step-by-step. My method was slightly different but this guy explains it in far more detail than I would and is an excellent how-to if you are interested.

·
Super Moderator
2,985 Posts
I remember this. Can a locksmith or gunsmith do this?
Yes, sure. It is very DYI doable but certainly a locksmith with no problem.

Here's my attempt:

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, sure. It is very DYI doable but certainly a locksmith with no problem.

Here's my attempt:

Thanks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Apparently they don’t sell anything larger that fits.
As far as I know any BMW top case should fit the OEM rack. There’s a 49L plastic top case version listed as an accessory for the R1250GS and the S1000XR that should also fit the R and has the same style of the 30L:

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,394 Posts
As far as I know any BMW top case should fit the OEM rack
Not sure about that. While I was able to adapt my F800’s sports panniers to my LC, the topcase was definitely not compatible.

Check the options available for each model on an online parts fiche, such as Max BMW.

Reactions: mikeS

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've seen a few pictures of the R1200RS with the BMW Multi Vario box fitted.
One time when I was at the shop I tried one and it fit my RS rack.
This was in 2016 or 2017.
The dealer said the mount on the older Vario boxes was different and may not fit.

Jetpilot5 has pictures in this thread.

·
Registered
295 Posts
This one, although it is out of stock.

View attachment 111596
That top case is sold for the XR but its probably fits the GS, RS and R.
I never trust when a vendor says the part does not fit your vehicle.
The few times I look at a part on Amazon it says it does not fit my car or bike when I know it does.

The big problem for me is a 49 liter top box is way too big for a R or RS.
BMW top cases like the 49 liter top case are very heavy before you put anything in them.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Too big for me too, I’ve googled BMW cases for my bike and there’s nothing but the 30L.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Too big for me too, I’ve googled BMW cases for my bike and there’s nothing but the 30L.
Yep the 30 liter top box is the only BMW top box BMW shows as a accessory for your bike.
While some of the Vario top boxes will fit, BMW probably feels it does not go with the style of your bike.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep the 30 liter top box is the only BMW top box BMW shows as a accessory for your bike.
While some of the Vario top boxes will fit, BMW probably feels it does not go with the style of your bike.
As if the humongous side cases do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Some of the Vario top boxes fit?
I've just seen the link to the other post about this. Could be the answer I'm looking for, as I don't like the usual bulbous boxes.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
The PRICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! $860 - $970. Utterly ridiculous! 😢

Reactions: GenlJuba
1 - 20 of 39 Posts