BMW R1200R Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

Registered
Reactions: mikeS

Registered

Registered
I'm running the Shad SH58X on my 2016 and it's pretty excellent. Motocard had it for about $240US.

But, I hate the SHAD panniers. Tell me more about this fitting of Vario cases to the R's OEM pannier racks!

Mark 鈥 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
It fits on the R rack.
Out of interest, does the rack on the GS parked next to your bike look more substantial than the Roadster's? BMW Motorrad warns of load limits for their racks - just wondering if the larger GS topcase is likely to exceed it when loaded to capacity.

I think my Givi V47 does if I load it to its spec max 10 kg. 馃槵

Registered
Out of interest, does the rack on the GS parked next to your bike look more substantial than the Roadster's? BMW Motorrad warns of load limits for their racks - just wondering if the larger GS topcase is likely to exceed it when loaded to capacity.

I think my Givi V47 does if I load it to its spec max 10 kg. 馃槵
The smaller Vario case is 25 liters and can expand to 35 liters.
Unless you fill it with bricks or beer it should be ok.

Registered
I can't find the weight limit of the rack in my manual.
On our older BMWs it seems like it was fairly low, like 10 to 15 pounds.

Edit: I found this statement
11lbs

The manual for the GS says 11lbs. I have the reinforcement mentioned above, and have carried a little over 20 in mine before.Jul 2, 2017

Registered
I looked in my BMW 30 liter top box and it shows a weight limit of 11 pounds.

Reactions: Panzermann

Registered
R1250R
Looks good. Is that a Givi? But the scenery is stunning ! Where is that?

Cheers Steve. Yes Givi box.

The Ardnamurchan peninsula, looking towards Kilmory, with Skye in the far distance.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
You can get two hats in my 56ltr Givi.
Did you mount the Givi case with the Givi SRA5117 rack on your R1250R? I bought this rack but it didn鈥檛 line up with the rear bolts on the OEM top case rack.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I discovered that the OEM rack is in two pieces and that the rear piece is mounted with 2 bolts. When you remove the rear piece, there are two bolts under it which line up with the Givi plate (as you know). Before I figured this out, I ordered and got the Shad 39L. The Shad is a nice case, perhaps sturdier than Givi, but my Shoie Neotec wouldn鈥檛 fit into it from to back but did fit sidewise, with not much more additional room than the OEM 30L case. I returned the Shad and ordered a 40L Givi, which I鈥檝e had before.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Got the Givi case and mounted the Givi plate. Givi didn鈥檛 account for the rear part of the OEM bracket which has to come off. The rear spacers they provide are too short. A few washers fixes that but why can鈥檛 they get it right?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts