BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 R1200R
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are numerous comments about the side stand being too long causing the bike to be near vertical with the risk of toppling. I've managed to do that so it is for real! Spoke to my BMW dealer and he said my problem is I was in comfort mode as opposed to dynamic mode and dynamic mode would raise the bike a bit, change the c of gravity and all would be well.

I've sat on bike, ran engine, changed to dynamic mode from road and felt nothing! Certainly bike is still too vertical for safety in a mega windy environment where I live...think one of the largest onshore windfarms in the USA just down the road in the Coachella valley, southern CA.

A buddy has tried to find an after market adjustable stand and found nothing. Is the only solution to cut out a few mm from the stand and reweld it?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I had 5/8th (16mm) cut and then tig welded and it works perfectly as long as you are not using lowered foot pegs.
It is also critical that the orientation angle be exactly the same after it is welded so it does not contact the gearshift lever.

best $40 I have spent recently

You can also order a stand that is sold for Asian Market bikes.

See lots of discussion here:

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,394 Posts
I've sat on bike, ran engine, changed to dynamic mode from road and felt nothing!
You sure you changed the ESA mode rather than Riding (engine) mode? On the 1200LC the modes are not linked, and ESA in Dynamic definitely adds more preload. Changing the Riding (engine) mode doesn’t affect the suspension at all.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
It's still prone to toppling over in less-than-ideal conditions, Dynamic ESA, '2-up+luggage' pre-load, unweighting the suspension before shutting off the engine, and all. Trust me, mine has the scars to prove it. All of the above help, but at least for me, the bike still sits too upright on the side stand.

·
Registered
R1250R
640 Posts
Spoke to my BMW dealer and he said my problem is I was in comfort mode as opposed to dynamic mode and dynamic mode would raise the bike a bit, change the c of gravity and all would be well.
Top dealer bull. Yes the side stand is a pain in the arse. I find myself using the centre stand a lot.

·
Registered
133 Posts
There are numerous comments about the side stand being too long causing the bike to be near vertical with the risk of toppling.
I've gotten into the habit of lifting my butt off of the seat before shutting off the ignition so the suspension locks at full extension. The kickstand is still too long. The centerstand drags in RH turns so it's on the shelf.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've gotten into the habit of lifting my butt off of the seat before shutting off the ignition so the suspension locks at full extension. The kickstand is still too long. The centerstand drags in RH turns so it's on the shelf.
I've tried that multiple times and it never worked for me. The only solution was to get a shorter kickstand.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,394 Posts
The centerstand drags in RH turns so it's on the shelf.
Did you check that the bumper stop wasn’t too long? I fitted a shorter one so that the stand sits higher.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Did you check that the bumper stop wasn’t too long? I fitted a shorter one so that the stand sits higher.
Having read your sage recommendation I razor trimmed a bit over a half off the thickness. Still dragged the CS before the Puig RH footpeg.

Reactions: Panzermann
1 - 10 of 10 Posts