BMW R1200R Forum banner

101 - 120 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I try to keep my kit as compact as possible so haven't been in the habit of carrying an electric pump, relying on CO2 bottles under the seat to give me enough pressure to get to civilisation, or on mikeS-type travelling companions who carry enough kit to carry out a rebuild/restoration by the side of the road.

However, in recent times I've been travelling solo quite a bit and CO2 bottles are a one-shot affair. Mike's post reminded me I have a quality compact bicycle pump in the garage. It's only about a handspan long and while it would take a lot of pumps to inflate a motorcycle tyre, it's designed to readily achieve the high pressures bicycle tyres run at, so it'll eventually get me out of a scrape.

In fact I have a vague recollection that BMW's of the first half of the last century had a bracket on their frame for a hand pump, but haven't been able to verify this. My pump head clips directly to the Schrader valve stem, which makes the normally convenient 90 degree fitment on BMW's less than ideal, but there's still plenty of room for use on the rear wheel, and just enough at the front. I've never seen or heard of a front tyre puncture anyway - normally it's the front tyre that flicks the road debris to an optimum angle to penetrate the rear. The other end of the pump locks in place for transit.

:) love it

·
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Spent the day deep cleaning my LC. I went as far as removing both wheels (and exhaust can) to get into all the nooks and crannies (overboard I know). However, it gave me an opportunity to use my touring tool kit and simulate roadside removal of both wheels. Even with the bike on the centrestand, the front wheel can’t be removed because rear wheel prevents the front from tipping far enough back to slide the front wheel out. A helping hand or some sort of jack is required to lift the front up even with the rear wheel off. I also went over all the fasteners with my tool kit and flicked anything I don’t use.

I think I’ve got the kit down to 860 grams plus 600 grams for the wheel removal kit with of course a few extras. After a fair bit of procrastination, I’ve split the kit into two – the wheel removal kit I will only take on longer rides in more remote regions. In terms of tyre repair kit – I expect in the post tomorrow of a Rocky Creek Design 4 in 1 repair tool and will make a decision to strip-out CyclePump air compression for shorter (day rides). However, I have a Stop N’ Go air compressor that weighs next to nothing and will keep that in my top box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
5,863 Posts
Just pop the front guard off, @mikeS - only takes a mo’.

Reactions: mikeS

·
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Reactions: Panzermann

·
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
I spent some time thinking about how to reduce weight and number of tools in my bike kit while still have enough to be able to remove front and rear wheels. I wanted to do away with ratchet drive, extension bars etc. While researching, I came across the CRUZ T50 Torx L key and Wunderlich on-board front-wheel tool. While the Cruz L Torx will crack the wheel studs a considerable amount of muscle is needed, so I added a small length tube to provide a little more leverage.

I added a few more items and with Stop N’ Go tire-plugger kit and the factory under-seat tools I’ve pretty. I also carry a small Lithium battery jump starter that sits side pocket of my tank bag. The tool kit weighs 450 grams and all up with tire plugger, multitool and small pump 950 grams.

While I was confident the on-board tool would be good enough to remove both wheels, I decided to put them into practice both wheels (including the front guard @Panzermann). While not as easy as having ratchet dive etc – managed to remove and replace both wheels without too much effort.

·
5,863 Posts
Slick, Mike, slick ...

·
5,863 Posts
I’ll give you a call if I ever get stuck by the side of the road.

·
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
I’ll give you a call if I ever get stuck by the side of the road.

Haha, there it is I was waiting for it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
217 Posts
Good ideas Mike.
When you use the extension on the T50 CruzTool does it clear the tire?

·
Dave in NE TN
980 Posts
Just plumped for this GS-911 WiFi OBDII / OBD-to-10 Pin Adapter Cable / Motohansa Pro Tool Kit deal from Ted Porter's Beemer Shop (recommended):

https://www.beemershop.com/product/...nostic-tool-motohansa-pro-series-toolkit.html

Smoking US "Black Friday" deal, $489 all-in delivered. Think you Euro & Aussie folks may find similar deals. Good little video on Ted's site why we 'need' a GS-911 in our road kit.

Also carry Stop & Go tire plug kit w/ compressor, small electrical kit, first aid kit, Victorinox multi-tool and Swiss Army Knife, flashlight.

Should cover the basics.

Cheers, Dave

·
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Good ideas Mike.
When you use the extension on the T50 CruzTool does it clear the tire?

Good question - the Cruz tool is 4”x7” the shorter end doesn't clear the outside of the tyre. Utilising the shorter end to crack the wheel studs takes considerable effort because of the restricted leverage movement if that makes sense. However, it can be done, and as a roadside option, it will get the job done. That said, I added a small 7” length of the tube so I could use the longer end to on the studs to clear the tyre and added leverage and works a treat and reducing the effort to crack the studs.

I'm very happy this little tool it weighs next to nothing and does away with heavy ratchet drive extension bar and Torx sockets. I have SW-Motech (5 Ltr) smallest tank bags and the tool fits nicely in there take no real usable capacity.

BTW - I’ve added below the Wunderlich on-board axle tool link. It’s been around for ages but very handy. With a bit of thought and compromise (a lot in my case) can do away with a fair few bulky items in your on-bike touring kit.

https://youtu.be/fR8WhrO3mQ8

·
5,863 Posts
If you angle the Cruz tool across the centre rather than outwards, @mikeS, the tool wouldn’t need to clear the rim/tyre, would it?

·
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
If you angle the Cruz tool across the centre rather than outwards, @mikeS, the tool wouldn’t need to clear the rim/tyre, would it?

I know what you are saying, and you are right. However, with my Mr. Puniverse arms it still requires considerable effort. My slight mod makes far easier and less awkward.

·
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
An early start yesterday morning excited about spending the day amongst some of the Southern Highland twisties. All kitted jump up, on the bike, press start and no-go. Instead of the usual start-up growl, nothing, just a whimper. I checked, and the voltage was 11.2volts not enough to crank her over. Anyway, I pulled out the lithium jump-start battery back out my tank bag, connect to the battery terminals and back in business. This was the first time I used it on my LC, although I have used to others, but never my own. Most of the use is to recharge the iPhone, GoPro etc in my tank bag. Anyway, convenient multi-purpose device and takes up very little space (apart from the pesky jumper leads) well worth it. The only thing that used

·
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Could you give info on your lithium jump-start battery kit? Thanks, Keith

Sure thing and shall do when I get home.

·
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Could you give info on your lithium jump-start battery kit? Thanks, Keith

I selected this unit because of its form-factor, lite weight and fits nicely into a side pocket of my SW- Motech tank bag. While small it has enough mAh power to kick start a flat motorcycle battery. In-built LED light, USB for charging devices eg cameras & iPhone/iPad etc. As a multipurpose device its cheap insurance to have on-board and very functional for charging as well.

Here a link so you can review the specs:

https://www.baintech.com.au/jumpspower-amg6s

I’ve had a couple of years now and no issues at all. The only annoying thing is the jumper leads but they need to be heavy-duty to take the current draw.

Here a few pix beside my iPhone so you can use a reference the overall size.

Reactions: kregel

·
5,863 Posts
Mike it looks like the control unit plugs into the battery pack by way of an Anderson-type plug. Have you thought about replacing the alligator clamps with such a socket and permanently attaching a similar plug to the battery?

I know it would make it a bit yarder to use your pack to help out a mate but I’d be happy to wait for you to swap over the leads to my bike should such an occasion arise ...

101 - 120 of 144 Posts