BMW R1200R Forum banner

121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Yeah, I have as the distributor gave me a spare set of alligator jumper leads. Never got around to sorting out that little project. For now, I have the jumper leads stored under the rider's seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
5,863 Posts
I would have thought it a higher priority than re-keying the topcase (and painting the window frames ...).

·
Registered
96 Posts
An early start yesterday morning excited about spending the day amongst some of the Southern Highland twisties. All kitted jump up, on the bike, press start and no-go. Instead of the usual start-up growl, nothing, just a whimper. I checked, and the voltage was 11.2volts not enough to crank her over. Anyway, I pulled out the lithium jump-start battery back out my tank bag, connect to the battery terminals and back in business. This was the first time I used it on my LC, although I have used to others, but never my own. Most of the use is to recharge the iPhone, GoPro etc in my tank bag. Anyway, convenient multi-purpose device and takes up very little space (apart from the pesky jumper leads) well worth it. The only thing that used

I have a similar small battery that I bought 5 years ago (+/-). Have used it numerous times to start up motorcycles, motoscooters and cars that have sat idle too long in cool or cold temperatures. Highly recommended. I do not have anyplace to connect vehicles to a battery tender, so this item is a fundamental must have.

This is it:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Mike it looks like the control unit plugs into the battery pack by way of an Anderson-type plug. Have you thought about replacing the alligator clamps with such a socket and permanently attaching a similar plug to the battery?

I know it would make it a bit yarder to use your pack to help out a mate but I’d be happy to wait for you to swap over the leads to my bike should such an occasion arise ...

I have a jump pack and thought of buying the optional pigtail to get rid of the bulky clamps, but decided to keep the clamps to make it easier to help other riders.
https://antigravitybatteries.com/pr.../cables-parts/starting-harness-newer-xp1-xp3/

Wish the jump packs sold for motorcycles had small clamps like my motorcycle jumper cables.

Attachments

Reactions: mikeS

·
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
I've collected a couple of these units over year's and have standardised on two units. Both are JumpPower branded. Initially, the larger unit was my go-to, but due to the or size, it stays in one older sunny-day cars. I like the smaller unit for my motorcycle because of the low profile of the alligator jumper lead as it fits nicely under the rider's seat in the space where the bikes user manual and held in place with the stretch rubber strap.

·
Registered
217 Posts
What brand and model is your caliper?

·
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
I have two both Kincrome not professional quality but good enough for a home hack user like myself. I like using the more substantial display unit that has an auto turn off the function.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks Mike! Looks like a great unit, but I am in the US, so not feasible to get that one.. Any other readers have a recommendation?

·
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #129

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have two both Kincrome not professional quality but good enough for a home hack user like myself. I like using the more substantial display unit that has an auto turn off the function.

Thanks.
When I was still working I could bring home a caliper when needed.
Now that I'm retired I need to buy one.

·
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
@mikeS, seems Adventure Kings has been following this thread and picked up on all your tips and tricks ...

You are soooo annoying - you are so consistent at being a pain the ar$e. Why me? I am so frustrated I could chew my leg off ...

·
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Just joking @Panzermann I was pulling your leg - all good apart from the self-inflicted bites. I gotta stop beating myself up so much - deep breath - exhale - relax

·
5,863 Posts
You are soooo annoying - you are so consistent at being a pain the ar$e. Why me? I am so frustrated I could chew my leg off ...
Mostly it comes naturally, but occasionally I put in the extra effort, Mike. 0:)

·
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
May I say it an honour and privilege to be on the receiving end.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Gents, I have found this thread quite informative. I had also set out to build my own tool kit - see photo - but clearly I have taken a different, and in retrospect, the wrong approach. Major problem was finding an extension lead long enough when broken down at the side of the road. Also probably explains why I was unable to repair the bike anytime. Well the value of "group think" is obviously on display with this thread. If anybody wants details on the equipment on display please leave message,
Is that an aux battery on the left case hanger? Or an explosive device for ...?

·
5,863 Posts
I was tidying up in the garage the other day and came across this little gem, which I’ve added to my tool kit. It has rechargeable batteries powered by a small crank handle. So, come the zombie apocalypse (or COVID-19), when shops have sold out of AA cells and you're sitting by the roadside in the dark, @mikeS, I’ll just whizz away at the crank handle for a bit and, with sufficient lumens, complete that emergency ESA fork oil change.

On related note, at your prompting, I’ve thrown in a couple fuses and some zipties. I also junked the small shifter as the 14mm spanner under the seat does the mirror stalks, I’ve found. I also junked the 3/8 ratchet handle - I can get away with the T-bar, which is included for the rear wheel bolts.

·
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
I was tidying up in the garage the other day and came across this little gem, which I’ve added to my tool kit. It has rechargeable batteries powered by a small crank handle. So, come the zombie apocalypse (or COVID-19), when shops have sold out of AA cells and you're sitting by the roadside in the dark, @mikeS, I’ll just whizz away at the crank handle for a bit and, with sufficient lumens, complete that emergency ESA fork oil change.

On related note, at your prompting, I’ve thrown in a couple fuses and some zipties. I also junked the small shifter as the 14mm spanner under the seat does the mirror stalks, I’ve found. I also junked the 3/8 ratchet handle - I can get away with the T-bar, which is included for the rear wheel bolts. View attachment 107554
I haven't seen one of those in years. Although I do recall seeing a large crank charge type at a boating store, but much larger. Very nice, PZ, no need to worry about batteries leaching out acid in your tool kit.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I was tidying up in the garage the other day and came across this little gem, which I’ve added to my tool kit. It has rechargeable batteries powered by a small crank handle.
Nice. I wonder how those hold up. Without exception, every crank flashlight I’ve owned crapped out while in storage. Maybe it’s the battery having a finite shelf life if never used, but if a crank-powered device can’t be left in a box until needed, might as well rely on batteries.

·
5,863 Posts
Nice. I wonder how those hold up. Without exception, every crank flashlight I’ve owned crapped out while in storage. Maybe it’s the battery having a finite shelf life if never used, but if a crank-powered device can’t be left in a box until needed, might as well rely on batteries.
This one's been in a drawer for years and is still fine

121 - 140 of 144 Posts