BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time I rode my 27K mile '16 the system indicated that I had something wrong with the front tire. Alarm signal on dash. No pressure shown - just dashes. The bike felt fine so while I looked for a good place to pull over the warning light went away and it showed normal pressure.

Is intermittent TPMS cutout normal?

Or is the battery in the sending unit failing?

Is there an alternative to buying the eye wateringly expensive (>$200) BMW RDC sensor units?

Is there a way to simply disable the system without warning indication? It's rather useless to me.

·
Registered
2016 R1200R
35 Posts
Sure, lots of options.

It looks like Schrader makes the OEM sensor for BMW, and they have an aftermarket part that shows as compatible. BHSens (former Huf Beru) and Continental are the big OEM’s for cars, but I couldn’t find any parts for bikes. There are plenty of Chinese generic parts on eBay as well, but I avoid those.

If you’re the adventurous and handy type, it’s technically an option to replace the battery. You have to drill/scrape away the epoxy from the sensor to reveal the battery, but then it should be relatively straightforward soldering. You need the experience and tools for this, but it’s also the cheapest by far.

It’s also possible to deactivate the system using dealership-level software. I don’t know if the GS911 can do this, but ISTA can definitely disable options. If you don’t know what that is or aren’t comfortable with it, it’s worth asking how much your dealer would charge.

I recognize that you don’t value the option personally, but it’s worth keeping in mind that it might make the bike more attractive to a potential future buyer. I would try to keep the system functioning, if it were me.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I've now replaced both sensors with sensors sourced through banggood, about $30 for a pair of sensors shipped. No issues in several thousands of miles since replacement. You will also need access to either a gs911 or motoscan app w/obd2 adapter and a "sensor wake up tool" to register the new sensors with the OBC on the bike. There's a $25 or so tool on Amazon that's listed as for GM sensors that works well.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,696 Posts
Sometimes added electrical accessories can interfere with the RDC antenna’s efficiency.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts