BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of trading my 2016 R1200R for a 2019 S1000XR.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Power delivery too smooth for me. I like my power lumpier. I've owned a few Inline-4 bikes over the eons, and found that I was never sure what gear I was in.
Gimme a nice lumpy twin, or if I have to, a triple any day.

That smooth thing is appealing to a lot of riders. I suppose if I were going to ride across a continent or something, less vibration might make long days on endless straight highways less demanding in some respects.

I've owned an '82 Katana, a 2003 R1, a 2002 F4i, an FJR1300, and probably some other I-4 bikes, and I've tried to like them, but none accumulated miles or stuck around for long.

·
Registered
75 Posts
More fuel consumption, chain drive and an uninspiring (for me) inline 4 soundtrack, but the performance seems to be great.

The only higher performing touring bike (compared to the R) that tickles me fancy is the Multistrada V4. I could live with a chain with that one, but bummer that it uses so much more fuel than the R.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,394 Posts
Test ride one first. They have a reputation for harsh vibes.

Reactions: MikeHSG

·
Registered
197 Posts
They are amazing, i have ridden one and i did own a s1000rr with the same engine. Take one for a spin and see if you like it. Chain drive is almost a non issue with the endurance chain becoming available.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I'm hearing from MOA members is that the endurance chain does not actually hold up anywhere near as long as advertised.

And that BMW in their Infinite Wisdom stayed with a 6000 mile service interval on the bike. Unfortunately, that service interval is nearly $1,000 for the S1000 versus a few hundred for the boxer, and I can do the boxer work myself pretty easy.

Starting to walk away from this idea.

·
Registered
R1250R
640 Posts
Chain drive is almost a non issue with the endurance chain becoming available.
What I'm hearing from MOA members is that the endurance chain does not actually hold up anywhere near as long as advertised.
I’d like to know more about the BMW endurance chain.

My experience of modern chains (DID ZVM) is that I haven’t been able to notice or measure any wear over 10,000’s of miles. That is with a Scottoiler fitted http://www.scottoiler.com/

What I find is the front sprocket wears out. A Renthal would last around 15K on my FZS1000. So I popped a new one in and kept going.

BMW state – “More power at the rear wheel: The M Endurance chain with DLC-coated rollers is characterised by low friction and reduced maintenance. The diamond-like carbon coating is extremely hard and reduces efficiency losses to a minimum. Maintenance costs are also reduced thanks to DLC (Diamond-Like Carbon).

I don’t know what that means in the real world.

·
Registered
R1250 R, S1000 XR (is that a swear word here?!!) and a Ducati 998 FE (definitely a swear word!!!)
36 Posts
GET BOTH!
Ok, easy for me to say as I am lucky enough to have both in my stable. It honestly comes down to what you want to do with the bikes as they are very different and if I could only have one.........it would be the R1250R (or R1200 in your case, but don't miss the opportunity to try the 1250 upgrade as another option?!!) as it has more character - sure, I would miss the XR, might even shed a tear, but I would get over it. 2019 model XR doesn't have the endurance chain and I am not sure it is available yet after market?

·
Registered
197 Posts
You can buy the endurance chain from a BMW dealer and stick it on ANY bike that uses the same size.

It's made by a 3rd party company so I'd say it'll be more readily available soon. It seems like bmw have paid for exclusivity but I assume that won't last forever.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I owned a 2016 S1000XR and it was a hell of a motorcycle. Unbelievable power, handling and comfort. The reason I sold it was because of the vibration issue. I tried everything to cure the vibration but nothing was successful. I know that 2016 was the first year and i have heard the vibe issue was remedied in subsequent years but my advise is to do a 30 minute test ride to see if bike suites you. Ride it back to back with a R1200GS.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Took a few test rides this morning. Did NOT like the S1000XR - vibey, somewhat numb feeling. What I did like (too much) was the R1200 GS Rallye with low suspension.

·
Dave in NE TN
1,183 Posts
. . . What I did like (too much) was the R1200 GS Rallye with low suspension.
Very interesting. I have a 2018 R12GS Rallye Sport with the 20mm higher (same as GSA) suspension. Three years and a broken arthritic hip later I could really use it lower. I'll visit the BMW dealer and see if that's something they, or the local suspension shop, might address. And yes, I know lowering a Rallye Sport is sacrilege, but if I do I'll save the stock suspension for the next owner. Thanks!

To stay slightly on topic, I much prefer the boxer to the inline four. I've never ridden a S1000XR, but I owned an FJR1300 a few years ago and the power was worthy of great respect but unfortunately I could not bond with the bike in any other way. Different strokes . . .

Cheers! 'Boxer' Dave

Reactions: Theresa

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thinking of trading my 2016 R1200R for a 2019 S1000XR.

Thoughts?
When I was looking for a bike to replace my despised VFR the XR was on the list of possibles. Ultimately I decided that I just don't like flat crank I4s for aural aesthetic reasons.

Motorcycles shouldn't have more than two cylinders. Maybe three. Unless it's an Aprilia V4, the sexiest sounding production bike ever.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did the same thing. Traded a 2018 r1200r for a 2020 s1000xr. They are super powerful. But, a little bit high and kind of top heavy in my opinion. Also pushed a lot of heat onto your lower legs. I guess it really depends what you want. I know that bike will snatch the front end right up at around 9 grand. I ended up trading for an RnineT. I am having fun with it. I love the useable torque and mellow feel. The s1000xr is almost too much for the street. At least for my aging reflexes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh, one other issue. With the advanced engineering, you would think BMW could design an actual kickstand that is long enough. In my year of ownership, that thing always gave me one of those cheap thrills every time I leaned it over on the kickstand. You know the feeling; is it down or did I forget!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, at this point I'm sticking with the boxer

·
Registered
133 Posts
Oh, one other issue. With the advanced engineering, you would think BMW could design an actual kickstand that is long enough. In my year of ownership, that thing always gave me one of those cheap thrills every time I leaned it over on the kickstand. You know the feeling; is it down or did I forget!!
The R1200R LC kickstand is too long. Maybe they accidentally swapped part numbers :)

Reactions: MikeHSG
1 - 20 of 29 Posts