BMW R1200R Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not as much as the s1000xr but in the same direction, I went from an r1200r camhead to a z900rs. That Z engine (948cc tuned for torque more than top end, though that could be added back) was unbelievably smooth. Like a turbine from 2000 to 8000 rpm. No faults with it at all, but I just could not connect with the bike. I've never owned a triple but never loved their sound when testing... I think I'm meant to stay on twins. There is a familiar feel that keeps me sane and safe.

·
Premium Member
2015 BMW R1200R
77 Posts
Very interesting. I have a 2018 R12GS Rallye Sport with the 20mm higher (same as GSA) suspension. Three years and a broken arthritic hip later I could really use it lower. I'll visit the BMW dealer and see if that's something they, or the local suspension shop, might address. And yes, I know lowering a Rallye Sport is sacrilege, but if I do I'll save the stock suspension for the next owner. Thanks!

To stay slightly on topic, I much prefer the boxer to the inline four. I've never ridden a S1000XR, but I owned an FJR1300 a few years ago and the power was worthy of great respect but unfortunately I could not bond with the bike in any other way. Different strokes . . .

Cheers! 'Boxer' Dave
I don't even know what the topic was 😁, but hubby had a FJR and like you said Dave, loved the power but it fried his nuts.
On the other thing you were discussing, being only 5'5, I would really love the R being a tad lower. I forget the name, but hubby found a German company in NJ that will lower the shock. And since I'm fortunate and SpkLife had risers on the bars, we can just slip the forks right on up. 30mm I believe. Every little bit helps.

·
Dave in NE TN
1,183 Posts
Theresa, you could try something like a Sargent low seat in the low position. That's how I have my GS set up right now and I can pretty much flat foot the tall beast at 5'9" w/ 30" inseam. Unfortunately it cramps my legs when they're up on the pegs, which I suppose a peg lowering kit could help.

Seems like once we get the bike set up perfectly, we get tired of it and move on to the next one. First world problems, like two cylinders vs. four (to stay ever so precariously on topic).

Cheers, Dave

Reactions: MikeHSG

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,394 Posts
German company in NJ that will lower the shock
The ESA suspension level sensor may need adjustment too (or not …). I don’t know whether it simply measures change in position or whether there’s an absolute position aspect to it.

Reactions: Theresa

·
Premium Member
2015 BMW R1200R
77 Posts
Theresa, you could try something like a Sargent low seat in the low position. That's how I have my GS set up right now and I can pretty much flat foot the tall beast at 5'9" w/ 30" inseam. Unfortunately it cramps my legs when they're up on the pegs, which I suppose a peg lowering kit could help.

Seems like once we get the bike set up perfectly, we get tired of it and move on to the next one. First world problems, like two cylinders vs. four (to stay ever so precariously on topic).

Cheers, Dave
The sargent low seat did not work for me.

·
Premium Member
2015 BMW R1200R
77 Posts
The ESA suspension level sensor may need adjustment too (or not …). I don’t know whether it simply measures change in position or whether there’s an absolute position aspect to it.
We asked that question Panzermann, and they said it will work. Hubby has it all figured out. We are waiting for the stock shovk we ordered to come in so we can ship it to Jersey. That way, I can still ride the bike in the interim, and if I ever sell, can give new owner both.

·
Premium Member
2015 BMW R1200R
77 Posts
We asked that question Panzermann, and they said it will work. Hubby has it all figured out. We are waiting for the stock shovk we ordered to come in so we can ship it to Jersey. That way, I can still ride the bike in the interim, and if I ever sell, can give new owner both.
In case anyone was interested, the name of the company that will lower the shock 30mm, is Wilbers. FYI - they take the ESA sensor off your shock and put it on their shock, and send both back to the user.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts